IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

street names

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 06:26 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street names

little confused about the nav system. when using the voice recognition to enter a street name it speaks the street back to you to confirm the name.
yet when driving it doesnt say street names.
obviously the system can do it...is there some way to turn it on and off?
Old 08-19-07, 06:36 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I don't think it can assuming I understand what you're saying. You mean instead of "turn right" it can say something like "turn right onto Main Street"? That's a good idea though especially when you're in areas where streets are close together like they are around here where "turn right" is a little ambiguous as to which street it's talking about. Guess you can always look at the display to see.
Old 08-19-07, 06:37 PM
HBcubs
Driver School Candidate

I AGREE!!!! It's annoying how the navigation system won't say the street name. What's even more annoying is the fact that when it says something like "in one mile, left turn....." and it sounds like it's supposed to give you the street name but doesn't. How come when you're on the freeway it'll say the street name but not when you're on surface streets?
Old 08-19-07, 06:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Lexus assumes you are in strange territory, which is why you are using the Nav, so you wouldn't be familiar with street names. I'd rather just be told the turn right/turn left directions. I can look on the screen if I'm interested in the street names.
Old 08-19-07, 07:01 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Granted you're in strange territory, but it's always comforting to see the street sign matching the street name the nav is telling you to take. It would be nice to hear it say turn right on Main Street just as you come up to it. I have a list of features I'd like to see, but the Lexus nav is one of the best out there as it is.

I'd also like to be able to use highway guidance mode even when not under route guidance. It's kind of nice to have the split screen with one half of the screen telling you about the upcoming exits. Does anyone know if it tells you if an exit is a left exit or right exit? I've never looked to see, but that would be very useful as we've got a lot of those in Connecticut.

I was also thinking that when you're just cruising around I'd like it to tell you if the upcoming intersection is intersecting a one way street. Lots of those in urban environments and it would be nice to glance down and see arrows pointing in the directions you can go or at least a red circle with a slash through it indicating which direction you can't turn.

I know the multi-display thing above the odometer is kind of small, but that should be more active while driving. Maybe abbreviated nav info or incoming phone call number like the Acuras do.

The ETA thing too could use a little smarter algorithm as well. The 3 estimated speeds of travel that it uses to calculate the ETA should only be a starting point. The nav should do an on the fly calculation of what speed you are averaging on the residential and main roads and highways. Residential and main roads aren't necessarily that distinct, and in some places those roads have very little in the way of stop signs or traffic lights, then in other places there are traffic lights at every intersection which add a minute to each red light you hit. I'd use a weighted moving average or harmonic mean (so that more recent speed measurements have more weight) for each road type to make it take sudden road changes into account. There are lots of things that can be done to make it smarter/more efficient, but I'm not complaining because I like the system overall.

Last edited by jdanon; 08-19-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 07:03 PM
HBcubs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I think Lexus assumes you are in strange territory, which is why you are using the Nav, so you wouldn't be familiar with street names. I'd rather just be told the turn right/turn left directions. I can look on the screen if I'm interested in the street names.
That's what I assumed also. In order to avoid any confusion, the navigation just tells you when to do it so you're not distracted with trying to look for the sign. Still, I think this is more of a personal preference; I'd rather have it just tell me the name.
Old 08-22-07, 04:48 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

think there is any chance of them changing this? given the system can say it maybe they will offer it in an update

do the TL and G systems say street names?
Old 08-22-07, 05:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
think there is any chance of them changing this? given the system can say it maybe they will offer it in an update

do the TL and G systems say street names?
I have Honda's previous generation system in my other car--it does not say street names. They only flash up on the screen.
Old 08-22-07, 06:38 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

The point is the navigation system is a computer and can do a lot more than it does. It should be able to do some other intelligent things based on the wealth of information it has access to. Functionally it does what every other nav system out there does and has been doing for years.