IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Near collision!! Thank God for the 2IS brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 10:49 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Near collision!! Thank God for the 2IS brakes!

Ok, so let me preface this by saying that almost every time someone is talking to me about my car, one of the things I always bring up is how grabby the brakes are. The brakes were the one item on the IS that took me the longest to get used to (coming from a '99 Accord Coupe) and tonight they sure as heck saved me a lot of time, emotional stress, and money.

With that said, I was heading to my hockey game tonight and I decided to take the Tollway so I could avoid the numerous traffic lights on the way there. Anyways, I was on the service road heading towards the Toll Booth when I saw a white Chrysler 300C about 40 yards in front of me but not in my lane. He was going a little slow so I was gaining on him. As I got closer, he cut over two lanes to gain access to the toll booth. No problem, I was basically a car lengths behind him at this point.

This particular toll booth only had 2 lanes. He started heading towards the far left lane and slowing down, I saw his window roll down so I knew he had to stop at the booth to pay the toll, since I have a TollTag (SpeedPass, I Pass, whatever you want to call it) I started heading towards the right booth and accelerated (from 40 to probably 45-50) to gain some speed up the fairly steep entrance ramp. At this point, my front bumper was basically equal to his rear passenger door. All of the sudden the @$$hole decides he doesn't want to go into that lane and he instead wants to pass thru the toll booth in my lane. He makes a fairly quick jolt towards my lane. I have no clue how I reacted so fast or how I saw everything develop so quickly but I slammed the brakes as hard as I possibly could and laid on the horn and braced for impact. The guy didnt flinch.

My car came to a screeching halt and my front end missed his side by probably no more than 6 inches. I felt the ABS kick in and much to my surprise my car stayed in a perfectly straight line. The guy stopped at the change booth (unmanned since it was after hours) sat there for a few seconds and proceeded to run the booth without paying. I can only hope that SOB receives a ticket for running the booth!

I let him proceed up the ramp while I hung back, once I was on the tollway, I floored it and got the hell away from him.

Long story short, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that had I been in my old Accord, we would have collided. The brakes on the 2IS are OUTSTANDING! I have not done the Brake TSIB and after tonight's events I probably wont for a long time. I'll never know if the other pads would have sacrificed any performance in that situation, but it makes living with brake dust a little easier on me.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
Old 08-20-07, 10:51 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

did it sound like fireworks? mine was exploding every hammer of the EBD on one of my stops!
Old 08-20-07, 11:02 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear you avoided the accident!

Javier
Old 08-21-07, 05:45 AM
Prowlerjm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical Chrysler 300C Clientele. :P
Old 08-21-07, 07:36 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Glad you are okay. I forgot, do our brake lights do anything when we panic brake?
Old 08-21-07, 10:59 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Glad you are okay. I forgot, do our brake lights do anything when we panic brake?
I think thats just BMW.
Old 08-21-07, 11:00 AM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by Buds
Ok, so let me preface this by saying that almost every time someone is talking to me about my car, one of the things I always bring up is how grabby the brakes are. The brakes were the one item on the IS that took me the longest to get used to (coming from a '99 Accord Coupe) and tonight they sure as heck saved me a lot of time, emotional stress, and money.

With that said, I was heading to my hockey game tonight and I decided to take the Tollway so I could avoid the numerous traffic lights on the way there. Anyways, I was on the service road heading towards the Toll Booth when I saw a white Chrysler 300C about 40 yards in front of me but not in my lane. He was going a little slow so I was gaining on him. As I got closer, he cut over two lanes to gain access to the toll booth. No problem, I was basically a car lengths behind him at this point.

This particular toll booth only had 2 lanes. He started heading towards the far left lane and slowing down, I saw his window roll down so I knew he had to stop at the booth to pay the toll, since I have a TollTag (SpeedPass, I Pass, whatever you want to call it) I started heading towards the right booth and accelerated (from 40 to probably 45-50) to gain some speed up the fairly steep entrance ramp. At this point, my front bumper was basically equal to his rear passenger door. All of the sudden the @$$hole decides he doesn't want to go into that lane and he instead wants to pass thru the toll booth in my lane. He makes a fairly quick jolt towards my lane. I have no clue how I reacted so fast or how I saw everything develop so quickly but I slammed the brakes as hard as I possibly could and laid on the horn and braced for impact. The guy didnt flinch.

My car came to a screeching halt and my front end missed his side by probably no more than 6 inches. I felt the ABS kick in and much to my surprise my car stayed in a perfectly straight line. The guy stopped at the change booth (unmanned since it was after hours) sat there for a few seconds and proceeded to run the booth without paying. I can only hope that SOB receives a ticket for running the booth!

I let him proceed up the ramp while I hung back, once I was on the tollway, I floored it and got the hell away from him.

Long story short, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that had I been in my old Accord, we would have collided. The brakes on the 2IS are OUTSTANDING! I have not done the Brake TSIB and after tonight's events I probably wont for a long time. I'll never know if the other pads would have sacrificed any performance in that situation, but it makes living with brake dust a little easier on me.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
now only if you had the brakes of an IS350, now THATS stopping power
Old 08-21-07, 11:27 AM
chinojk
Driver School Candidate

I can also vouch for the IS having awesome brakes. I have a 350 and was in a similar situation on the NJ Turnpike. My front bumper was at the back door of a new SUV when the girl decided to just turn into my lane. We were going about 70-75 and I slammed my brakes and honked the horn just in time. She quickly swerved back into her lane. I was in pwr mode at the time. I really believe I would have been in a bad accident if it wasn't for quick reaction and phenomenal brakes...
Old 08-21-07, 02:11 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutly love the brakes on my 250. They bite so hard. I rather deal with brake dust than lose that biting power.
Old 08-21-07, 02:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

glad that you are ok....

thanks for sharing!
Old 08-21-07, 03:01 PM
xerxes717
Driver

350 brakes rock my world every day. If there's no traffic around and I'm on a smaller road, I'll slam on the brakes just to see if I can eject my eyeballs from their sockets. Good times!
Old 08-21-07, 03:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

You guys are funny. It's not the brakes. It's the tires. Brakes don't stop the car. Tires do. If you don't believe this, try braking on ice and see how wonderfully you stop with those magic brakes.

Thanks for putting really good tires on our cars from the factory Lexus (except those Turanzas they're using now...)
Old 08-21-07, 03:20 PM
xerxes717
Driver

I've got Bridgestone Turanza ER33 rubber on my car and you can't buy worse summer tires than these (strictly based on performance). The brakes still do their job incredibly well.

Obviously they won't work so well on ice and obviously they'd work even better if I had decent tires. My point is that even with relatively crappy summer tires, the stopping power is fantastic.
Old 08-21-07, 05:40 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Cool story, good to know they worked as intended. I have noticed too that the brakes on the 350 are great and although I hate the brake dust I dont mind cleaning them often, your story reminds me why I am hesitant about getting the brake TSIB done.

I've got Bridgestone Turanza and there pretty noisy on rought uneven roads but on freshly paved roads they are great. I can't wait to change them for quietier tires though cause most roads are not newly paved
Old 08-22-07, 06:22 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys are funny. It's not the brakes. It's the tires. Brakes don't stop the car. Tires do. If you don't believe this, try braking on ice and see how wonderfully you stop with those magic brakes.

Thanks for putting really good tires on our cars from the factory Lexus (except those Turanzas they're using now...)
How right you are, it's funny how poeple mistake that initial bite for overall stopping power...kind of like thinking that louder exhaust or intake actually made the car faster when in reality it only made it louder.

Quick Reply: Near collision!! Thank God for the 2IS brakes!