IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

World's Ugliest IS... And a Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 11:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Thats pretty crappy on Lexus's part.. Even my 99 GS has a full size spare to match the stock wheels..
Old 08-22-07, 12:17 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah luckily I had seen a picture of that nasty spare before I bought the car so I wasn't shocked when I lifted the cover off the spare. Although I wanted to wear a mask while driving to the dealer so people wouldn't see me in that monstrosity, lol.
Old 08-22-07, 12:34 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

funny i've gotten 3 flats on that same tire...first two were plugged...third one went through the sidewall so i had to pay 350 for a new toyo tire...i still havent even gotten around to putting my aftermarket wheels back on since i had to take the aftermarkets off to have the new tire mounted on the rim
Old 08-22-07, 12:38 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

hahaha!! I had to do the same thing 2 weeks ago and was just about embarrassed to have that yellow POS on the car. WTF Lexus????
Old 08-22-07, 12:53 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Daaaamm...what offset is that? jk. Looks nice and tucked in
Old 08-22-07, 12:54 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i would expect to get the same tire all around. Why do you want a mis-match set? The turanza and the potenza has different specs.
Old 08-22-07, 01:05 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I just spoke with my service adviser, he said the shop screwed up and was supposed to put a Turanza tire on. They will put the right tire on tomorrow morning and give me a loaner. I wish I had noticed it sooner but I was in a hurry to get to work when I left the dealer and just saw the Bridgestone writing.

I will say this though, this isn't the first issue i've had with this dealer (tint issue a few weeks ago), but I've gotta commend them at how well they are at acknowledging they made a mistake and doing everything they can to fix it. If this was my old Honda, the dealer would have found some way to blame everything on me and tell me that I was SOL.
Old 08-22-07, 03:24 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Thats just P.I.M.P........

I'm thinking a matched pair on the front for that "funny car" set up at the drag strip. Could shave at least 3/10's off a quarter mile......
Old 08-22-07, 03:31 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by unit74
Thats just P.I.M.P........

I'm thinking a matched pair on the front for that "funny car" set up at the drag strip. Could shave at least 3/10's off a quarter mile......
Haha yeah until you reach the tires 55 mph (or whatever it is) capacity and the things burst all over the track
Old 08-22-07, 03:42 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its yellow for a reason..Because IT IS UGLY. And should only be used as a temporary solution. Originally the mini tire wheels were black..and it helped make some people complaisant in getting the tire changed. When ugly..get it off right away..

If you want a full sized spare..which size do you want..The fronts or the backs? Be glad you don't have run flats and NO SPARE AT ALL!

Also, how many people really need the spare for that long of a time where it would justifiy the added expense of the wheel/tire/TPS?
Old 08-22-07, 03:49 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Its yellow for a reason..Because IT IS UGLY. And should only be used as a temporary solution. Originally the mini tire wheels were black..and it helped make some people complaisant in getting the tire changed. When ugly..get it off right away..

If you want a full sized spare..which size do you want..The fronts or the backs? Be glad you don't have run flats and NO SPARE AT ALL!

Also, how many people really need the spare for that long of a time where it would justifiy the added expense of the wheel/tire/TPS?
Oh I fully understand the need for a donut spare but even if it was black I'd have the thing removed from my car ASAP. They are hideous no matter what color!

And if Lexus really wanted to make the tire so ugly that people change it asap, they would have done it on all the other models and not just the IS.
Old 08-22-07, 04:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

All Toyotas have the mustard yellow compact spare unless they have a full size spare.
Old 08-22-07, 04:52 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I think that all of those "temporary" spares should be yellow. All to often, I see people driving with the spare at highway speeds (well above 55mph) and for days / weeks at a time. Granted, those who drive the "temporary" spare unsafely are often in a lesser POS car.
Old 08-22-07, 04:57 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not paint it?
Old 08-22-07, 05:29 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL, Servco would never offer a wheel n tire warranty here, the state only spends money to fix up Waikiki for the tourists and the rest of us have to suffer with crappy roads...

*they only recently fixed 1 lane of the pali hwy kailua bound thru the tunnel cuz some chick hit a pothole and her airbag deployed...*

Quick Reply: World's Ugliest IS... And a Tire Question