IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How come the 2IS xenons suck? (because I like blue lights)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 12:41 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come the 2IS xenons suck? (because I like blue lights)

I have a 250 with the AFS/HID option and I notice they ficker colors too much from white to yellow all the time and will NOT stay the bluish white color. Are my headlights not stable or are my projectors not aimed high enough or too high? I am thinking about getting 6000k's because the standard 4300k's really irritate me. Is it just because the car is new or is it a real problem?
Old 08-22-07, 12:45 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it while you're driving or while the car is warming up or just got started? I heard that the HID changes color as it warms up so that might be what you're seeing but I could be wrong though.
Old 08-22-07, 12:48 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

mine stays white and does not filcker at all.....take it back to the dealer and have them check it out for you....
Old 08-22-07, 12:50 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

i let someone test it and i was driving in front of it and i kept seeing bright flickers of yellow and white and all these odd colors. it just flickers and changes color too much and it was an annoyance to people passing me.
Old 08-22-07, 12:57 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

do i just need 6000k's if i really want the bluish white color?
Old 08-22-07, 01:02 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xenon9

yup..D4S bulbs have less of a blu-ish white light. This does not mean they are less bright, in fact D4S bulbs have a higher lumens output than their D2R-D2S counter parts. The HID's may not look blue from inside the car, but when you see a 2IS coming towards you, the HID's have a perfect bright white light with the HID glaring effect. Looks great IMO.
Old 08-22-07, 01:03 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

yes you do. The stock xenon will not yield that bmw's purple/ white color. Thats why I got the 8000K =)
Old 08-22-07, 01:03 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

If you want bluish white, then 6000k will give you that for sure. I have the XD 6000k and it warms up very bluish but eventually becomes white. You do lose the wideness of the HID switching from the OEM to the 6000k though.
Old 08-22-07, 01:41 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

yeah i am kind of disappointed with the is xenons. i was expecting them to be like bmw's. i also notices that all new lexuses, the gs, ls and es all have the same type of whitish, yellow look.
Old 08-22-07, 01:44 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Any temp bulb you put in there is going to "flicker" as you call it, that is actually just the angle of light changing from bumps in the road and what not. All you will get when you change the bulb temp is different color "flickering". It comes from the projection system used and all vehicle that have that glass dome looking think and HIDs will have the same effect to some degree. Most people think its cool looking though... I know I love to see a BMW drive up behind me and catch varying glimpses of purple blue and white as the head light angle changes over bumps or lane changes. You know to be honest with you too, the IS is one of the most subtle HID setups I have ever seen, even more so than most other current model Lexus'. Take the RX for example, that one has way cooler HIDs.
Old 08-22-07, 01:48 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

subtle indeed...but that really blows. i paid for hid's and all i get is super white/yellow light instead of the bluish color. that blows.
Old 08-22-07, 02:14 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

That flickering you see when an s2000 or an e46 BMW or Audi comes up on your rearview or towards you is known as color aberration or the spectrum effect. This has nothing to do with your HID's you can get the same purple flicker using halogens given the right projector housing e.g. Hyundai Tiburon. This is achieved by the cutoff shield in your projector housing. For example when you have a magnifying lens and you use it w/ the sun the light hits the target area w/ multiple colors depending on the angle of light the colors vary according to the light source. Your Projector housing is exactly the same. Think of the source light HID as the sun and depending on how that light hits the lens it will change the color of the light out put. The 2IS doesn't have the long desired color bar that most of you may or may not be aware of. There's a few things which can improve that none of which i care to much about, but know from my previous HID retrofitting days know for a fact will change your color output. BENDING the cutoff shield towards the bulb or AWAY from the lens can possibly give you a better purple/blue flicker. Or installing washers to make the distance further between your Projector housing and the cutoff shield can also achieve this. I haven't tried this since im happy w/ my Light and i don't care much about this front color light when im driving.
Old 08-22-07, 02:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just how do you guys SEE your hids WHILE your driving??? Only way i can figure out is to let someone drive your car and follow you... err... no one drives my car but ME. My 6000k bulbs are comming, according to UPS on fri and the only reason why im changing them is cuz im taking your guys's word for it. AND to be different... even thou i RARELY drive at nite
Old 08-22-07, 02:53 PM
Xenon9
Rookie

yeah that is the way i can see them. i just hate seeing the yellow light sometimes popping up sometimes. it just is like a spectrum of color on the 2IS hid's
Old 08-22-07, 03:06 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

yeah that is the way i can see them. i just hate seeing the yellow light sometimes popping up sometimes. it just is like a spectrum of color on the 2IS hid's
Is this what you're looking for? These are 6000k and IMO they flicker alot more barely some yellow but mostly white, purple, and blue.

Quick Reply: How come the 2IS xenons suck? (because I like blue lights)