IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 07:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes a special order is a special order... mine is going to be sport package and ML -without- Nav, which doesn't exist anywhere as a factory build.

Ordered it in mid-July (before the cutoff for the month), dealer says it should be here end of Sept/start of October.
Old 08-23-07, 08:13 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know what build month you're getting? That time frame sounds like a September build. The first 2008s are set to hit West Coast ports in the next week or two. I assumed if my car was built in August that I'd see it no later than mid-September. If it's October that sounds like the second production cycle.

Maybe they pushed all the special orders to the second production cycle? Unfortunately you never know if what the dealer tells you is true or not. How do you know you made the cut off in July? I don't even know that I did even though I put my order in early June. I am only going by the dealer's word. There's no proof or tracking process to hold the dealer accountable.
Old 08-23-07, 10:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Just going by the fact the dealer explicitly informed me of the cut-off date for the month and called to double-check my order since he was submitting it prior to the deadline.

I'm on the east coast, so if mine is coming into the west coast it'd take at least a week to get out here on top.

When he gave me the late sept/early oct. date it was when there was a bit of uncertainy in the schedule due to the earthquake mid-July when people thought it might set back things a couple weeks so that might've been factored in too, though later news came in that it wouldn't significantly delay anything.

I'll probably check back with him after labor day and see where we're at, but given I'm getting a pretty good deal on something they don't normally build, if it gets here a couple weeks sooner or later doesn't matter that much to me.
Old 08-23-07, 10:28 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah guess we'll see. Our cars will come in to the Jacksonville FL port, or at least I thought. I didn't think they transported them by ground across the country.
Old 08-23-07, 12:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I suppose that makes sense, through the panama canal I suppose, rather than trucking everything out to the east coast from CA. Either way it'd take a few days to get em off the ships, do any port-installed options, and truck em wherever they're going... and presumably the dealer takes a little time to go over the car and clean it up from the trip.
Old 08-23-07, 01:18 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdanon
July? I don't even know that I did even though I put my order in early June. I am only going by the dealer's word. There's no proof or tracking process to hold the dealer accountable.
Think they may just like that a lot? Just like no dealer inventory that can be viewed by customers. Lexus keeps us in the dark as much as possible, and keeps themselves in total control.

It you want, jdanon, I'll be glad to pick up, and break in, your IS from JM.
If you just want me to check it out as it's coming off the truck, let me know.

I suspect that Sport optioned cars are manufactured in groups, so shipping and delivery may not be immediate. Can't wait to see pictures of your car.
Old 08-23-07, 02:56 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Update for those who ordered or are waiting for an 08...> I just received an email from our sales woman at JM Lexus stating that the allocation for September has a few 07s in the first week, but they expect the 08s to start arriving in the 2nd to 4th week of September.
Old 08-27-07, 11:40 AM
kmvreter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
They also changed the shape of the front seat-backs to give a little more legroom to rear passengers (at least according to the 08 changes sheet my dealer showed me when I ordered my 08)
Rear leg room was an issue when we were initially looking at the IS but it's not a show stopper. Some more room would be nice.
The '08 leg room specs on lexus.com are the same as for '07 (lexus.ca isn't updated yet.) You would think they would change the spec if in fact they make a change or is this just someone forgetting to update the website fine print/typo/glitch?
Old 08-27-07, 12:42 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kmvreter
Rear leg room was an issue when we were initially looking at the IS but it's not a show stopper. Some more room would be nice.
The '08 leg room specs on lexus.com are the same as for '07 (lexus.ca isn't updated yet.) You would think they would change the spec if in fact they make a change or is this just someone forgetting to update the website fine print/typo/glitch?
It's going to be negligible. I wouldn't expect much extra room back there.
Old 08-27-07, 05:29 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

I was told that the allocation lists are coming on Sept. 4th and the 18th. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm one of the first because corporate told them to give me an '08. Why? I don't know. My dealer said that "they've being very hush, hush about what happened to my car. Give me a break. I hope we hear something soon.

I'm worried that if something happened to my car (damaged) like my dealer has in a round about way suggested that I'll have to start all over again on the wait list. I hope all of ours come into Jacksonville this month!!!!!
Old 08-27-07, 05:31 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BucBaby
I was told that the allocation lists are coming on Sept. 4th and the 18th.
That matches closely to what DropTopGal said above. A batch of 2007s the first week, and then the 2008s a couple of weeks later. You could potentially still get a 2007 out of that first batch coming next week.
Old 08-27-07, 10:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Well my order went in offically with Japan on June 20th as a 2007 special order...

The Next day I was notified that Japan accepted the order, however they notified us it was going to be a 2008... My car is currently allocated in the August production.. ( I have a copy of the confirmation)

I hoping to see it by mid to end Sept...

I'm not sure if I will be one of the 1st 2008's rolling around So Cal... from what I gathered the Special Orders get a little more TLC in Japan

I sure hope the Sport Package will be fitted with the Liquid Graphite finished 18's when they arrive at the Port.

Joe Z
Old 08-27-07, 10:45 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Hey JoeZ... What form of confirmation do you have? Does it state when the car will be made, shipped, expected delivery to port? Thanks... Odd that only a few days ago, JM Lexus "the largest Lexus dealership" had no info on the 08s. I want to put them on the spot based on your reply.
Old 08-28-07, 07:02 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Hey JoeZ... What form of confirmation do you have? Does it state when the car will be made, shipped, expected delivery to port? Thanks... Odd that only a few days ago, JM Lexus "the largest Lexus dealership" had no info on the 08s. I want to put them on the spot based on your reply.
I didn't get any confirmation either other than word from the dealer that they put the order in. It would be easier sneaking into Fort Knox and stealing some gold than getting any info out of the dealer. I guess in a month we'll have our cars one way or another.
Old 08-28-07, 02:51 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Do tell Joe! We would love to know exactly what your confirmation looks like. Also, when did your receive the paper?

I'm dying to know and I'm also a little jealous...LOL...OK...a lot!

Quick Reply: What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)