IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 02:52 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well for one thing TWQ, the 335i has a new engine to replace the old 330i. The G35 has more than one trim level which includes awd or a manual, the IS350 has neither one. And the A4 has coupes, convertibles, all wheel drive, and manual. Lexus lacks choices when it comes to the 350, no all wheel drive version, no manual (shame) no coupe, convertible. IS-F is great for the performance part, but you know not everyone can go for a 65k sport sedan. A coupe is one everyones mind as well as Lexus' executives to match the competition.

The aftermarket business would boom more with a coupe/convertible line up on the IS. Wouldnt you think so?
Old 05-25-07, 02:57 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2GR 350
Well for one thing TWQ, the 335i has a new engine to replace the old 330i. The G35 has more than one trim level which includes awd or a manual, the IS350 has neither one. And the A4 has coupes, convertibles, all wheel drive, and manual. Lexus lacks choices when it comes to the 350, no all wheel drive version, no manual (shame) no coupe, convertible. IS-F is great for the performance part, but you know not everyone can go for a 65k sport sedan. A coupe is one everyones mind as well as Lexus' executives to match the competition.

The aftermarket business would boom more with a coupe/convertible line up on the IS. Wouldnt you think so?
Yea but take all those choices Audi has compared to the one choice Lexus has and If Im not mistaken, Lexus is still beating the pants off of Audi in sales...
Old 05-25-07, 03:04 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We all know Lexus sells well, but add a little more variation to the car would seriously turn alot more heads from the rivals.
Old 05-25-07, 03:06 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2GR 350
We all know Lexus sells well, but add a little more variation to the car would seriously turn alot more heads from the rivals.
And with that I DO agree!!!
Old 05-27-07, 07:16 AM
kmvreter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
O.K. I'll be nice...

Linkies:

2008 rumors

2008 IS250 ideas

2008 IS-F info
Thanks for the earlier welcome and the links.
I wanted to get a feel for what knowledge was out there about the '08 before going to the stealers. I found those threads earlier while searching. Unfortunately, they contain a lot of good discussion and speculation but no facts that answered my original question.
So we ended up at some stealers and found out the following.

This info applies to the Canadian '08 MY IS:
(1) The IS stable of 3 models is staying the same.
(2) The option packages and content are staying the same.
(3) The stealer has no specific knowledge of content or option upgrades at this time (ie. electronics, etc...) In fact, the stealer info release system says "none".
(4) There are no new colours but they are dropping Glacier Frost Mica.
(5) The July builds are still '07 MY with August builds designated as '08 MY.

The car my wife wants is not available or on order to any stealer in Canada so here is some insight into the order process. This applies to a "regular" order from the existing packages, not a "custom" order. (We inquired about a "custom" order non-moonroof (don't really want it being in Canada) with base leather. The stealers didn't want to touch it, speculate on timing for it or price it.)

The regular order system is:
(1) The stealer puts in his preferences for models and packages/trim/colour up to the beginning of every month as per their allotment from Lexus. He puts in what he wants based on any "firm" customer order and then fills in the rest of his allotment with what he thinks might sell best.
(2) The more volume/better sales/bigger stealer, the better the allotment (better chance they can order what you want; read on.)
(3) The monthly preference is for the build 2 months out (May 1st allotment gets built in July; last month for '07 MY.)
(4) Stealer has the ability to change his package/trim/colour preferences (but not the model) up until the lock-in date mid-month prior to the build month (eg. June build is already locked in; mid-June for July build is still open.) Therefore, we still have the option with one stealer until mid-June to order an '07 in the package we want because they are big enough and have a 250 RWD in the July build that is an open order.
(5) All the stealers have until the beginning of June to put their allotment preferences in for the August build (first '08 MY builds.) Therefore, we also have the option of ordering an '08 anywhere by June 1st.
(6) Any stealer can redirect the destination of any "open" order/port/pool vehicle before it starts shipping from the Lexus Canada pool to the original ordering stealer (this stealer just gets another vehicle shifted around in the pool.) This is the step prior to a "dealer trade." The stealer is able to do this by tagging the open order as "firm" or "sold" for a specific customer so that it cannot be redirected. This can be done at anytime from ordering their allotment right through until it ships.
(7) Shipping from the plant to stealer is approximately one month. Therefore early August '08 MY builds will land in early September.

Now to decide...
Old 05-27-07, 10:44 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Well, looking ahead a bit further, the ‘08’s will be the third year for the 2IS. Is Lexus going to build a 3IS for ’09? If so, perhaps some of us potential ’08 buyers should wait until then. Yes, I know the manufacturers hate this sort of thing.
Old 05-27-07, 06:53 PM
just02
Driver School Candidate

^^

Probably not until '10 or '11. 1IS went from '01 to '05, if that's any indication, expect the 2IS to go from '06 to '10.

The current generation is an awesome vehicle. I wonder what they have planned for the next Gen, but that's for a different thread.
Old 05-28-07, 09:34 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

We just ordered an IS 250 with MT. We were told that it would be a 3 to 4 month wait. On one of the suggested threads it said that we would probably get a 2008. Do you think that's true? If so, that would be cool. I hope that they don't change too much because I find it perfect the way it is. It would just be nice for it to be a year newer for value down the road.
Old 05-28-07, 10:52 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

well when i started looking in july of 06, my dealership told me that the 07 was coming in sept, so i waited and got a 07, not that i knew of any changes, but i did know that there would be some changes, because when i bought my 04 tsx, in august, the next month the 05 came out and i was piised because there were things i missed out on like xm radio, standard fog lights...
Old 05-30-07, 11:29 AM
kmvreter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BucBaby
We just ordered an IS 250 with MT... suggested threads it said that we would probably get a 2008. Do you think that's true? If so, that would be cool...
Could be an '07 if the stealer is just making a change to an open order in his allotment or could be an '08 if it is a brand new order against his June allotment. The saleman should be able to tell you this instantly from their order input system/database. If not, then he can ask his manager who should definitely be able to get the info because he manages that system.
Old 05-30-07, 11:57 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Part of the reason I doubt that the 3.0L is replacing the 2.5L is because of the CAFE standards. I suspect the production ratio of 250's to 350's is highly related to driving the corporate average fuel economy of Lexus up. Moving to a more thirsty 3.0L would not be helpful to that cause.
Old 05-30-07, 02:02 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by just02
^^

Probably not until '10 or '11. 1IS went from '01 to '05, if that's any indication, expect the 2IS to go from '06 to '10.

The current generation is an awesome vehicle. I wonder what they have planned for the next Gen, but that's for a different thread.
The first generation was actually introduced in fall 1998 in Japan and spring 1999 in Europe. Lexus models seem to have long shelf lives, as do most cars in its class (C-Class, 3er, A4, etc.). I would say the 3IS will arrive in 2011 as a '12.
Old 05-30-07, 02:31 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kmvreter
LOL Way to drop the best color for the car, Lexus. It's not like it doesn't sell either. This comes as somewhat good news to me :]
Old 05-30-07, 02:55 PM
PhatManXP
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion GFM is one of the best & most unique color Lexus's offered, it'd sucked if this is true.

However, I was told Lexus delivered 0 unit of IS350 this past month, compare to 20s some of Silver/Black combined in my region (Northeast coast). Maybe that's the reason behind it...

Can somebody verify this?? I don't know if I can trust the words from the dealerships nowadays.
Old 05-30-07, 03:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus may be adding Moon Shell Mica as a new IS color.

You can find that color on the new ES...

Quick Reply: What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)