IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 01:18 PM
kmvreter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)

We're in the market for an IS250 RWD but may need to order because what we want isn't available or on a boat. Some stealers are telling us that, due to timing, if we order now it may spill over into the '08 MY. But they can't tell us what, if any, subtle changes are coming.
So it may be to early for this question but are there any rumours or facts about upcoming changes?

Last edited by kmvreter; 09-01-07 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 01:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe this is the 4th post asking for '08 changes in the past week.

Please do a Search and enjoy!

Welcome to the Club!!
Old 05-24-07, 01:42 PM
kmvreter
Driver School Candidate

Did several searches with different terms earlier and came up empty so I ask...
Old 05-24-07, 02:50 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I believe this is the 4th post asking for '08 changes in the past week.

Please do a Search and enjoy!

Welcome to the Club!!
Ha ha! Yea seriously! You can pretty much just scroll back through the dates and find them.

But to answer your question, I dont think anyone knows what they are going to change short of releasing the IS-F.
Old 05-24-07, 04:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by kmvreter
Did several searches with different terms earlier and came up empty so I ask...
O.K. I'll be nice...

Linkies:

2008 rumors

2008 IS250 ideas

2008 IS-F info
Old 05-24-07, 06:01 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I've been told by multiple dealers that nothing will be different which seems reasonable as there weren't many if any changes from 2006 to 2007.
Old 05-24-07, 09:32 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdanon
I've been told by multiple dealers that nothing will be different which seems reasonable......
Even if dealers know, which they most certainly don't, they would be the last ones to tell anyone if major changes were coming, lest they be stuck with a bunch of obsolete '07 stock. They auto rags don't know either.

Why would anyone believe it's "reasonable" that just because there were few changes last year, that it will stay the same for next year? Actually that seems rather "unreasonable" to me.

My guess it that there will be some changes, just as there were last year. The only people who know for sure aren't saying. To much to lose, like their jobs.
Old 05-24-07, 10:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by jdanon
I've been told by multiple dealers that nothing will be different which seems reasonable as there weren't many if any changes from 2006 to 2007.
Dealers don't know as much as we fanatics do...

There were actually quite a few changes between the '06 and '07 models. This includes having standard shark fins, introduction of the X-Package, option of not having a moonroof, changes in color swatches, a few extra convenient buttons (such as the gas and trunk release), more accessories available, and such.

Some "wish list" changes that people want include a VDIM-OFF button (something that you'll find on the IS-F), not making the moonroof standard, new color swatches (like Moon Shell Mica or that hot pink IS that Japan is getting), perhaps some Special Edition IS (like the SC's Pebble Beach or the RX's Thundercloud Editions), Nav override access; and my personal "wish": a coupe/convertible option...
Old 05-25-07, 06:10 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I guess what I meant was that there weren't any major changes between 2006 and 2007. The cars pretty much look the same. I wouldn't call adding a gas button a noteworthy change. Nearly every car built in the last 20 years has one. I like the nav system override idea though. I think that would be implemented by software before a hardware or interior design change.
Old 05-25-07, 07:29 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as anyone has read or heard, a coupe model is in the works an due to be out soon. But on the sedans, there hasnt been and rumors or news of a major or minor change. Im hoping for a little more power and better suspension setup (more sporty) as the update.
Old 05-25-07, 08:02 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Since you mentioned power, there was a rumor going on around here for a while that the 250 would be replaced with a 300 (which I think it should have started at) with more like 245 or so hp.
Old 05-25-07, 09:27 AM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine upgrade is something I believe will be done on the 08MY. Lexus will replace the 2.5 liter V6 with the 3.0 liter V6 that is found in the 06 GS300 into the 08 IS to make it IS300. It's a trend for Toyota/Lexus to upgrade the engines for their existing car models, and usually, it'd done during the 3rd model year to keep up with the compition and provide "minor refresh" to the existing models.
Old 05-25-07, 09:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mj0723
the engine upgrade is something I believe will be done on the 08MY. Lexus will replace the 2.5 liter V6 with the 3.0 liter V6 that is found in the 06 GS300 into the 08 IS to make it IS300.
Complete speculation though. A lot of people are asking for it, but it's completely speculative.

I don't think Lexus will want to revert back to an "older" engine in the U.S, even if it does have more power. The purpose of the 250 is to provide an inexpensive alternative for an entry-level Lexus product. Those who want more power have the 350. Having a 300 and 350 will blur the line between the two engines, taking sales away from the 350, and lowering its resale value.
Old 05-25-07, 10:29 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Huh... but it would explain why so many of us are getting killer deals on the 250s.... like they are trying to clear stock. It wouldnt really matter to me though, as I bought the 250 to save gas and would not like a bigger engine. I hope it doesnt hurt my resale value though. If gas prices keep rising Im hoping my smaller engine Lexus will be a hot commodity!
Old 05-25-07, 11:19 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Complete speculation though. A lot of people are asking for it, but it's completely speculative.

I don't think Lexus will want to revert back to an "older" engine in the U.S, even if it does have more power. The purpose of the 250 is to provide an inexpensive alternative for an entry-level Lexus product. Those who want more power have the 350. Having a 300 and 350 will blur the line between the two engines, taking sales away from the 350, and lowering its resale value.
Well now we have someone that thinks like a Lexus Excutive........... Dealerships have not been given any concrete evidence of changes to the IS series.......... Every year there will be modifications to the IS line up like 06 to 07, Illuminated fuel/trunk opener, VSC/VDIM cut off switch, optional X-package ( RWD only ),HID/AFS optional, wood trim optional, 4 new colors. The similar things will happen in 07 to MY08, Minor modifications!!! Check out the BMW 335i/328i, Infiniti G35, Audi A4 ........... If there's something these cars have that the IS doesn't ........... You could see it added to compete. There will not be a IS300, there will NOT be a Coupe or Convertable. The IS 250 is a Cash cow for the Young Lexus owners, There first step, there first Lexus !!!! That's what Lexus want ............ For the Gear jammers there's the IS 350, Also, did anyone think of the Billion $$$$$$$ Modification business?????? They beg us to Keep it simple so that all the buyers can customise it to there personallity!!!!! It's marketing gentlemen and women!!!! MARKETING!!!!!!

The next BIG change you'll see to the IS will be the IS-F!!!!

Quick Reply: What's changing on IS for '08 (Post news here)