IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Somebody rammed my car. Have ?'s (New Pics -56k Beware!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 02:21 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

The police report lists the entire accident scenario. It also lists no obstructions of the view and no vehicle malfuctions. It states that the other driver failed to yield. It stated that weather nor road conditions contributed (it was raining hard but our lights were on and visibility was still pretty good, even the cop agreed). He pulled out at the point where he hit the passenger door so I really don't think they have any leg to stand on. He was also issued a citation. We didn't skid far which proves we weren't speeding, it is also listed on the police report that we were not violating any laws. I seriously hope they don't give me any problems or they will find out what a true B***h I can be about my car. Also I found a website that offers suport in the way of diminished value appraisals and they communicate with the ins. co. I am not sure if it would be worth the money. I guess I will call my agent in the morning and see what she says, the waiting is killing me. I really want to be prepared as possible when dealing with these people.
Old 08-26-07, 02:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
The police report lists the entire accident scenario. It also lists no obstructions of the view and no vehicle malfuctions. It states that the other driver failed to yield. It stated that weather nor road conditions contributed (it was raining hard but our lights were on and visibility was still pretty good, even the cop agreed). He pulled out at the point where he hit the passenger door so I really don't think they have any leg to stand on. He was also issued a citation. We didn't skid far which proves we weren't speeding, it is also listed on the police report that we were not violating any laws. I seriously hope they don't give me any problems or they will find out what a true B***h I can be about my car. Also I found a website that offers suport in the way of diminished value appraisals and they communicate with the ins. co. I am not sure if it would be worth the money. I guess I will call my agent in the morning and see what she says, the waiting is killing me. I really want to be prepared as possible when dealing with these people.
Just drop not-so-subtle hints into the conversation, like, "Yeah, my dad told me he had something similar happen to him when he was finishing up law school."

Old 08-26-07, 02:37 PM
mir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you should also consider talking to a lawyer if State Farm gives non satisfactory answer within a week. I have State Farm for several years. My wife had an accident couple of years back(her fault). State Farm fully repaired our car and the brand new camry that was involved. I have not heard of the other party having any issue. But they do deny any wrongdoing on behalf of their client. That is a standard practice of theirs.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-07, 02:44 PM
RXISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sad to see another IS damaged like this. Glad you are ok. I highly doubt the other insurance company will pay for an equivalent rental vehicle. You will be lucky to get an allowance of $30 per day.

Last edited by RXISF; 08-26-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 03:00 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Hey Wednesday... If you need another IS350 in Tungsten Pearl in the Tampa area for comparison to factory looks after the repair let me know... I'll come and show you.
Old 08-26-07, 07:47 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Wow, sorry for your loss...

Your car will probably not total,from the pics you will need a new qtr, inner wheel house, 2 door shells, rocker mldg, and carpeting. Since the car has a unitized frame, im 90% sure you do not have any frame damage at all. In order to damage the frame structure of the car from being hit on the side, you would need to be hit directly in the b pillar. (pillar between the front and rear doors) From the pics it looks like the majority of the impact was on the qtr and rear door.

Do you know if the rear rim/rear suspension was impacted at all?

Our shop is a DRP (Direct repair facility) for State Farm and we determine in the beginning if the car is going to be close to a total. State Farm guidelines are that they will pay bare minimum up to 75% of KBB value. Of course this is all here in Norcal so it could differ but im pretty sure its close to the same. After the repairs reach 75%, an evaluation on the car has to be done and State Farm will decide based on salvage value, damage $$$ amount, and also what the owner prefers. Yes, its true they will tend to lean towards what the owner perfers, not all the time but they do take it into account.

I would defintely say that it will not total but you are definetly correct in going after them for the depreciation of the value of the vehicle. Also here in cali, if you are the claimant, you are guaranteed a similar rental car to what you own. So if State Farm has accepted liability, than you are entitled to a rental for as long as your vehicle is being fixed.
Old 08-26-07, 07:56 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Default Turkf26?

Turkf26, Thanks for the very helpful info! I can't say for sure about the back tire damage but I do know that it doesn't want to roll, could be just from the metal from the fender that is dug into it. I wish I could get closer pics of the B pillar because I can remember thinking it looked bent. My front seats were also soaked. When the guy was trying to drive it into position to get it on the tow truck it sounded terrible and I know they drove it again at the tow lot fromt he way its parked and I just don't think that could have been good for it. I am going to tell them my preference would be for them to just total it and hopefully they will listen. By the way what did you mean by paying the "bare minimum up to 75%"? Thanks again!
Old 08-26-07, 08:17 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Ok i just ran a value on your car. IS250, RWD, Navi, spoiler, prem package and used the typical milage (12000) but i think yours is probably less. State Farm here in Norcal uses the Suggested Retail value which came back 34235. In Norcal, our shop would be able to fix the vehicle up to 25676 dollars. If the estimate goes beyond this, (which i dont think it will) an evaluation has to go to State Farm and they review it and decide.

I can write you a formal estimate on what i can see so that you can get a general idea of what the costs are. If you want, PM me your VIN and what interior was damaged (which airbags were deployed) and i will write you an estimate.
Old 08-26-07, 10:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll drop in here since I've read the whole thread. I'm no insurance expert and I try to avoid making claims unless I really have to, but in my experience it isn't customary for the party damaged to be contacting the other person's insurance company directly. I've always contacted MY insurance company, gave them all the details of the accident, including the other persons name, address, and their insurance information. And my insurance company deals with the other insurance company. I don't want to be messing with someone elses insurance company directly; of course they aren't going to want to give me any satisfaction as I'm not their client. Why should they? Maybe things are different now, or that's how it works in your state, but I've never done it that way. Somebody correct me if this is the new way to do things, claim wise.

Hope you have success in your claim. I know from experience that if rising water comes up to the bottom of the dashboard they will often total the car. Although yours is a different situation, if there has been constant rain coming in from above it is bound to be leaking down around the dash potentially causing all sorts of problems behind the scene. You can replace carpet and seats, but water in the electronics is never a good sign.
Old 08-27-07, 05:30 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Default dealing with the insurance

I have absolutely no experience dealing with anything like this because I never have accidents. The reason I filed the claim with their insurance was becaused I was advised to do so by mine if I wanted to claim a loss of value. I would think my insurance company should have to do that but oh well. So far everyone I have talked to at their insurance co has been very nice but that may change today when I talked to the assigned adjuster. Wish me luck.
Old 08-27-07, 06:52 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'll drop in here since I've read the whole thread. I'm no insurance expert and I try to avoid making claims unless I really have to, but in my experience it isn't customary for the party damaged to be contacting the other person's insurance company directly. I've always contacted MY insurance company, gave them all the details of the accident, including the other persons name, address, and their insurance information. And my insurance company deals with the other insurance company. I don't want to be messing with someone elses insurance company directly; of course they aren't going to want to give me any satisfaction as I'm not their client. Why should they? Maybe things are different now, or that's how it works in your state, but I've never done it that way. Somebody correct me if this is the new way to do things, claim wise.

Hope you have success in your claim. I know from experience that if rising water comes up to the bottom of the dashboard they will often total the car. Although yours is a different situation, if there has been constant rain coming in from above it is bound to be leaking down around the dash potentially causing all sorts of problems behind the scene. You can replace carpet and seats, but water in the electronics is never a good sign.
to answer this question, yes to some extent your correct.. to the insured this may be less hassel but to the insurance company its a pain especially for the agent like myself, we get held responcible to some extent for our loss ratio. if one of my insureds filed a claim with us when they should have filed with the other company then we end up paying the claim then waiting some times as long as months or years for the other company to subrogate (settle) with us. while all this is going on, i still have a ding in my loss ratio. i would just assume have the responcible party pay for it up front and avoid the hassel.
sometimes going through your own insurance company can actually slow the process down for the same reason, they know the other comany is going to pay and because they dont want to deal with a subrogation for the same reason your insurance company is still at the mercy of the other company.
at most i might ask my insurance company to pay for a rental car because thats somthing they can do right away and its a small amount to subrogate with the other company. but for the majority of the claim i would be calling the other company.
Old 08-27-07, 07:17 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wednesday
I have absolutely no experience dealing with anything like this because I never have accidents. The reason I filed the claim with their insurance was becaused I was advised to do so by mine if I wanted to claim a loss of value. I would think my insurance company should have to do that but oh well. So far everyone I have talked to at their insurance co has been very nice but that may change today when I talked to the assigned adjuster. Wish me luck.
You did the right thing to call the party that was in fault insurance company. In my previous vehicle I have been hit 4 times (all not my fault) and I NEVER once called my insurance company. I always called the person that was in fault insurance company. Its faster this way. Because your insurance company is going to want the $500 deductable. And then they will reimburse you late, blah, blah blah. So I dont even deal with it.
Old 08-27-07, 11:15 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Default A few more pics from up close

So I am finally getting somewhere, picked up a rental (06 Passat 2.0T which is better than what I thought I would get but still makes me miss my IS ) The car is being towed to the lexus dealer bodyshop and a state farm adjuster will be looking at it tomorrow I hope. State Farm is still waiting to here from the at fault driver (their insured) but I have hope because my company had managed to reach the parents of the driver. About the interior, I will say that it was wet and slightly smelly inside due to the rain. The carpet looks discolored and the texture of the leather on the seat looks damaged but it doesn't show well in the pics. Anyway here are some more sad pics.

Old 08-27-07, 11:29 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry to hear about the acciden but glad that you are ok.

just take the car to the bodyshop to have an estimate and see how much it cost to fix it........ from what I see from the pic, they might not be able to "total" your car......
Old 08-27-07, 11:41 AM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

glad youre okay. did you spin out or anything? that looked pretty rough.. :/

Quick Reply: Somebody rammed my car. Have ?'s (New Pics -56k Beware!)