IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My car has factory paint imperfections, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 11:18 AM
Pineapple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car has factory paint imperfections, what should I do?

I brought my 1 month old IS250 to a car detailing shop to get detailed. He did a walk around to see the condition of the paint and immediately pointed out a few paint imperfections:

1. large 2"x2" patch on the roof that has uneven paint. within the paint seems very thin and super glossy, while the sorrounding area and rest of the roof is much thicker and a bit rough.

2. 1/2" mark on the hood. Its on the original paint under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

3. 1/4" dimple on the hood. Its on the original point under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

4. Another 1/4" dimple on the hood. Its on the original point under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

There might be more since he only checked it out for a few minutes. He said all of this happened at the factory. It seems that maybe a dust particle or something flew on the paint or they touched up the scratches. He is unable to get these imperfections out since they are under the clearcoat (from the factory). He said this a somewhat normal for most cars out there but he doesn't expect this from Lexus. He used to work at Lexus for a few years.

What should I do?
Old 08-26-07, 11:19 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i have looked at mine before up close and i almost feel like there are waves in the paint . . . i dont know if its just me or what. on the hood is mainly what im talking about.
Old 08-26-07, 11:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple
I brought my 1 month old IS250 to a car detailing shop to get detailed. He did a walk around to see the condition of the paint and immediately pointed out a few paint imperfections:

1. large 2"x2" patch on the roof that has uneven paint. within the paint seems very thin and super glossy, while the sorrounding area and rest of the roof is much thicker and a bit rough.

2. 1/2" mark on the hood. Its on the original paint under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

3. 1/4" dimple on the hood. Its on the original point under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

4. Another 1/4" dimple on the hood. Its on the original point under the clearcoat. It looks like there was a scratch during the painting process and they touched it up and buffed it out, then they put the clearcoat on.

There might be more since he only checked it out for a few minutes. He said all of this happened at the factory. It seems that maybe a dust particle or something flew on the paint or they touched up the scratches. He is unable to get these imperfections out since they are under the clearcoat (from the factory). He said this a somewhat normal for most cars out there but he doesn't expect this from Lexus. He used to work at Lexus for a few years.

What should I do?
They may not be factory at all. It may have been damaged (scratched) in shipping and it got repaired before you bought it. It is not unheard of in the industry. The dust issue almost never happens at the factory because they have what amount to cleanrooms for painting to avoid such problems.

You have only one thing you can do. Take it back to the dealer and voice your complaints to give them the opportunity to make it right.
Old 08-26-07, 11:55 AM
Pineapple

The guy who took a look at the paint used to work for Serramonte Lexus a couple of years ago. He took a good look around the sorrounding areas to see if it could have been touched up after the factory. He came to the conclusion that it happened at the factory since its under the clearcoat and the sorrounding areas are perfect.

He said the dealership could offer a few solutions to fix this:

1. repair the sections
2. repaint the section
3. replace the panel

all of these solutions would be unsatisfactory since the color won't match exactly and won't be as nice as the factory paint.
Old 08-26-07, 12:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

3. replace the panel
Not only is that idea preposterous, it won't work. Replacement body panels don't come pre-painted.
Old 08-26-07, 12:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,429 Posts

...all of these solutions would be unsatisfactory since the color won't match exactly and won't be as nice as the factory paint.
Then you have no choice but to live with it. There are no other options to fix the problem. They're not going to repaint your entire car, and even if they did, it would not be as good as a factory paint job.
Old 08-26-07, 12:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Then you have no choice but to live with it. There are no other options to fix the problem. They're not going to repaint your entire car, and even if they did, it would not be as good as a factory paint job.
I agree.

One thing: Send a letter to Lexus Corporate.
I have a friend whose worked for a few companies overseeing the lines, he tells me Lexus's attitude on paint is nothing short of perfection. If there are issues, Lexus needs to know about it so they can fix it.

Remember, a squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 08-26-07, 04:39 PM
Pineapple

there is another solution....

I WILL GET LEXUS TO REPLACE MY VEHICLE WITH A NEW ONE.

mark my words.
Old 08-26-07, 04:55 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

mark my words.
Yeah right. Good luck with that. 1 month old? Technically once you drive that baby off the lot it's all yours. The only thing they are liable for is the warranted parts. Generally the only time a dealer will give you a new car is under your state's lemon law, and the main qualification there is usually mechanical. All Lexus owes you is a repaired paint job, if they can determine that there is a problem to fix.
Old 08-26-07, 05:08 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

mark my words.
LOL. Good luck bro.

1. Your car is ONE month old. All of this damage could have been caused during that one month (Even if it couldn't, thats what the dealership will say).
2. In most states it is LEGAL for a car to be repaired from damage during delivery by the dealership. If the repairs are below 5% of the value of the car, the dealer does not have to disclose anything. Done deal.
Old 08-26-07, 05:42 PM
Pineapple

This "damage" is definitely under warranty since it is a factory defect. I will not settle for a repaired paint job, not on a brand new Lexus. Even the service advisor agreed that he wouldn't want to repaint a brand new Lexus. Tomorrow I will talk with the service manager.

I think I have a good chance for Lexus to replace my car. Many people say Lexus is very good to its customers and like the other member said Lexus' attitude towards perfect paint. One member here had his 2IS replaced because of pebbled factory paint defect. Besides, its rare, but Lexus has replaced vehicles that had exterior paint defects. Out of all the bull***** I've been through with Stevens Creek Lexus (buffer damage to my paint, delays, unable to fix gaps, etc) and the fact that this is my first Lexus (and new car) I have a strong argument.

All I know is that I paid for a brand new Lexus in pristine condition and will not accept any type of repaint or quickfix. Would you pay the price you paid for your Lexus if it was repainted or touched up? Didn't think so.

Here is the link to the guy who had his IS replaced (Lexus rep bought it back from him)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=pebble

Last edited by Pineapple; 08-26-07 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 06:17 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to argue for a new car, make sure you take yours completely back to stock before you make the argument.