IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone driven their 2IS to Mexico yet??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 05:47 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to Guadalajara, Mexico this summer with a friend who grew up there. It was wonderful. We loved the food and shopping. The culture was great, too. Nothing better than having a friend take you around.

Now the ride from the airport to the hotel we stayed at was one of the scariest I've ever had. Our friend was trying to follow a family member, and road rules are made up as you go. They actually have 5 lanes circles that you enter. If you're all the way to the left of the 5 lane highway entering it...you need to go across 5 lanes of traffic to get on. You can go around and around until you can work yourself out to the edge. It's similar to Bristol. People drove fast and just recklessly. The city and it's people were wonderful...but the driving? I don't know about the northern areas...but where I was in Guadalajara and the roads to Puerto Vallarta and Manzinello through the Sierra Madres...yikes. I wouldn't drive my new car there!
Old 08-28-07, 07:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BucBaby
We went to Guadalajara, Mexico this summer with a friend who grew up there. It was wonderful. We loved the food and shopping. The culture was great, too. Nothing better than having a friend take you around.

Now the ride from the airport to the hotel we stayed at was one of the scariest I've ever had. Our friend was trying to follow a family member, and road rules are made up as you go. They actually have 5 lanes circles that you enter. If you're all the way to the left of the 5 lane highway entering it...you need to go across 5 lanes of traffic to get on. You can go around and around until you can work yourself out to the edge. It's similar to Bristol. People drove fast and just recklessly. The city and it's people were wonderful...but the driving? I don't know about the northern areas...but where I was in Guadalajara and the roads to Puerto Vallarta and Manzinello through the Sierra Madres...yikes. I wouldn't drive my new car there!
Guadalajara is a beautiful city, much better run (in terms of government) than here in Mexico City. They also have, according to my Mexican cousins, the most beautiful women in all of Mexico.

I know those roads out there that go out to the coasts. I went with some buddies of mine for a week long holiday for some 1/4 mile championships in Guadalajara and then we went out to Puerto Vallarta, those roads were the pits. Now that's central Mexico.

Those traffic circles are death traps. In Mexico City, the circles used to be like they are in Europe, 360 continuous, but a while back they changed it to having basically the circle (usually a statue or fountain) and then having stop lights, basically a 4 way intersection with the circle in the middle, as there were too many accidents here and people wound up going into the fountains or smashing into monuments.
Old 08-28-07, 07:08 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Go to Mexico for Lobster?? You gotta be kidding.

I have been to Mexico several times and the last time was for sure my LAST time to every visit that suck hole of a country. That place is filled with nothing but crime and corruption. Not to mention the unsanitary conditions at every turn. If I offend anyone I’m sorry, but it’s the truth.

Be smart. Don't go, but if you must, don't take your Lexus. I promise you that you will regret it if you do.
Old 08-28-07, 08:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by golfproatl

I have been to Mexico several times and the last time was for sure my LAST time to every visit that suck hole of a country. That place is filled with nothing but crime and corruption. Not to mention the unsanitary conditions at every turn. If I offend anyone I’m sorry, but it’s the truth.

Be smart. Don't go, but if you must, don't take your Lexus. I promise you that you will regret it if you do.
Northern Mexico is nothing like the rest of the County. TJ, Rosarito, etc is a joke.

Go further south (via plane) its actually a beautiful County.

Its like saying and taking a vacation in Compton California and than later when I get home saying the US is a shiithole of a County.. Which is not true!!
Old 08-29-07, 05:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by golfproatl

Depends where you go, some places here do fit the description you mentioned...exactly.
Old 08-29-07, 05:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another thing, not sure why you are all so worried about your Lexuses down here. I have known a few people over the years with them down here, and apart from perhaps service issues if you are living down here (Toyota can be helpful on occasion here), the vehicles aren't treated like luxury, but rather an anomaly, because most people don't know what they are. Every week, I get asked at the track what kind of vehicle it is, and even when I say Lexus, I have to add, the luxury brand of Toyota.