IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who all though the top speed limiter was set to 142 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 08:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,410 Posts
Default Who all though the top speed limiter was set to 142 MPH?

So, the '08 New Car Features is out on TIS, and I figure since there's nothing on the IS-F yet, I'll take a gander and see what they really changed from 06/07 to '08. Lo and behold, I'm checking out the Appendix where all the real tech info hides (just wanted to see if they'd upgraded to a 2.93 GHz Core 2 Extreme QX6800 with DDR3 and a 1333 FSB for the '08 ECM - sorry no dice there!) and what do I see? New top speed numbers! Guess what? They're NOT all the same!?!?!

The IS250 MT is limited to 144, the IS250 AT is limited to 140, the IS350 is limited to 144, and finally - the AWD 250 is limited to 131 mph.

So, thinking I'd found a real change, I went back to the '06 NCF Appendix to see what the original numbers were (didn't ALL the magazines report it to be 142???) and sure enough - THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN THOSE NUMBERS! Those lamers at the magazines believed the marketing pukes again and published the WRONG numbers!!! Imagine that!!!

Not only that, but the redesigned seat for more rear leg room (true) does not show up as changed in the master spec sheet. Still 777mm.

Other confirmed changes - Wheel colors are changed for both 17 and 18 inch wheels, and unlike years past, they are now different.

- Scuff plates are indeed white, not blue.

- TPMS time to warn about missing input from pressure sensor dropped from 51 minutes to 20 minutes (aftermarket non-TPMS compatible wheels will be even MORE annoying if you don't take countermeasures.)

- French has been added as an optional language for the multi-display (however, there STILL does not appear to be a way to change the display from degrees F to degrees C!)

- They've added a buzzer feature to warn when the key battery is low.

- And finally, the one we've all been waiting for with baited breath - the theft deterrent system now cancels when ACC or IGN function is selected, not just IGN.

Sorry - no factory N2O or 275/35/18 and 355/35/18 tire options, no factory headers or Recaro seats, no TRD LSD, none of the really good stuff this year - but we can still dream about next year!
Old 08-27-07, 08:22 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew the scuff plates were white!
Old 08-27-07, 08:23 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

so which color is better?
Maybe the people with white will want to swap it with blue
Old 08-27-07, 08:24 PM
Junghyuk2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again, great info..

that buzzer feature should be nice,
it's been a year already, not sure if i should swap the battery out, just in case...
Old 08-27-07, 08:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, that's some good, detailed info.

Blue or white scuff plates, don't think it makes much difference. The blue is nice and soft and goes well with the rest of the ambient interior lighting. White will probably stand out a little more, depending on how bright it is. I wonder what prompted Lexus to change such a small item mid-cycle. It's not exactly earth shattering.
Old 08-27-07, 08:50 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not only that, but the redesigned seat for more rear leg room (true) does not show up as changed in the master spec sheet. Still 777mm...
If the new seats are anything like the IS-F seats, the "increased leg room" actually comes from cutouts in the rear of the front seats. Doesn't sound like much, but it actually makes a difference - and in our rear seats, every little bit matters...

Javier
Old 08-28-07, 02:28 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anybody find a way to disable the limiter yet?
Old 08-28-07, 05:05 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

how much more legroom is there? are there two leg cutouts or the entire seatback thinner?
Old 08-28-07, 05:10 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^I should have taken pictures. There are two leg cutouts on each side of the back of the front seats. It doesn't look like much of a difference, but when you sit in the back seat, my legs actually fit without having to contort them sideways.

Javier
Old 08-29-07, 11:55 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Nice thread hijack guys.

Back OT. I wonder if the speed limiter is set to actual speed or as indicated ? If our speedos are truly 5% conservative, than an indicated speed of 144 would be an actual speed of apprx 137. Then again, to achieve an actual speed of 144, you would need apprx 151 as indicated. Anyone care to test this . . .
Old 08-29-07, 11:57 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
so which color is better?
Maybe the people with white will want to swap it with blue
The ones that you don't have are better. And that is try irrespective of current color.
Old 08-29-07, 01:23 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the deeper details. I would like to have that buzzer to let me know my key battery is dying.
Old 08-29-07, 01:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
If the new seats are anything like the IS-F seats, the "increased leg room" actually comes from cutouts in the rear of the front seats. Doesn't sound like much, but it actually makes a difference - and in our rear seats, every little bit matters...
However, the big question is: does it compromise front passenger comfort and seat cushioning?
Old 08-29-07, 02:15 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by socalJD
Nice thread hijack guys...
How is this a thread jack? This was mentioned in the original post:
...Not only that, but the redesigned seat for more rear leg room (true) does not show up as changed in the master spec sheet. Still 777mm...
Anyway...
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
However, the big question is: does it compromise front passenger comfort and seat cushioning?
Those IS-F seats are awesome. There's more lateral support in both the front and rear seats, and boy are the comfy - they just seem to hug you.

Javier
Old 08-29-07, 02:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Other confirmed changes - Wheel colors are changed for both 17 and 18 inch wheels, and unlike years past, they are now different.

- Scuff plates are indeed white, not blue.
Hey lobux...

These two interest me the most...

1.) So it will be the "Liquid Graphite Finish" similiar to the 2001 IS300 Graphite Polished finish ??
(already found on the G-Spider & ISP-Mode Wheels)
The Split 5 Spoke design remains the same.. (I assume)

2.) I guess the Sport Pkg will include the new embossed "Aluminum Scuff plates"?? (still not illuminated)

Here is a pic of the proposed new 18" wheel finish & I would guess the now embossed Aluminum Scuff plates for the Sport Pkg

Joe Z

P.S. - Maybe a thread title change is needed for this one.........

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-29-07 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Who all though the top speed limiter was set to 142 MPH?