IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 12:54 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXMN
To say that all paint is generally the same is an ignorant statement. If that were true, all cars would be painted with latex enamel from the local hardware store. NOT ALL CLEAR COATS ARE THE SAME. (by the way, your gm just might be painted with a single stage acrylic enamel)

If you keep your paint waxed, the bird droppings and tree sap will be a bit easier to keep clean.

As for letting someone else borrow your ride without maintaining the finish, bad call.

I can tell you for sure none of my GM's are single-stage. I do keep all of my cars waxed regularly, you are correct it makes a huge difference in protecting the paint and making clean-up easier.

That "someone" borrowing my ride is my girlfriend I've been with for about 3 years. I don't consider it a "bad call" compared to putting her on public transit, which she'd have to walk a few miles in the dark just to catch.

I can get paint fixed on my IS. I cannot replace her.

-TJ
Old 08-29-07, 01:06 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Sun baked bird droppings and tree saps (some are worse than others) are two of the most lethal paint killers that I know of, the third being fallout from jet engine exhaust. I honestly think that all three can damage paint beyond repair, in fact I've seen it and have the "battle scars" to prove it.
Old 08-29-07, 01:14 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Originally Posted by CRB
Sun baked bird droppings and tree saps (some are worse than others) are two of the most lethal paint killers that I know of, the third being fallout from jet engine exhaust. I honestly think that all three can damage paint beyond repair, in fact I've seen it and have the "battle scars" to prove it.
Without me even saying anything my dealer must have touched up the bird spots when I had my car in today for my "15k service" today (see what I actually got done here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=303292). When my buddy that works on my car came out to say later, I was about to show him the spots and ask him if I could talk to their detail crew. Well, I couldn't find the spots! He said "oh yeah, if they notice that stuff when they do your complimentary wash they work on it."

Awesome service at Magnussens Lexus of Fremont and their new facility is amazing.

-TJ