IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Changing from Full Auto into Semi Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 01:24 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing from Full Auto into Semi Auto

When I change from full auto into the sport mode from a full stop I am wondering if it is suppose to be set at 4th gear.
Old 08-29-07, 01:55 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya it is, i think thats kinda stupid. i know the new c class set it so it starts at 1st. but i guess they do 4th so u can shift into it at most speeds and still have it work fine
Old 08-29-07, 04:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you select manual while stopped it will still start in 1st and shift up to 4th automatically. 4th gear is the most logical gear to be selected since most people will be switching (to manual) at highway speeds to pass. If you go WOT after selecting manual the trans will still select the lowest safe gear (depending on the RPMs).

In the full auto mode the trans will up-shift very quickly to 5th if there is no load. It will idle in 5th at 20mph. This helps get good mileage. I mainly use manual mode to stage acceleration by gearing down into the power range (keeping the motor spinning above 4K RPMs and using the lower gears to control the speed in the twisties and being able to power out of a turn. I also find myself using the manual mode to shed speed from highway speeds. This is a very slick trans even though the manual operation is still nannied.

Koz
Old 08-29-07, 06:12 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure if you understand what exactly the the sport mode does. When you put your car into sports mode you are selecting the highest gear you want the car to go to. i really think that the sports mode is a joke. it would be nice to see a DSG on our cars.
Old 08-29-07, 08:23 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
When I change from full auto into the sport mode from a full stop I am wondering if it is suppose to be set at 4th gear.
Yes, it's by design. 4th is the 1:1 gear in the 2IS.

The S-mode and accompanying paddle shifters are not really "shifters" in that they don't actually shift gears, nor were they designed to - they're merely a mechanism for manually selecting the gear range. Following is Lexus' description of the paddle shifters, taken from the New Car Features section of the FSM:

By moving the shift lever to the front (“+” position) or to the rear (“-” position), the driver can select the desired shift range position. Also, the shift paddle switch is adopted, which enables changing the shift ranges while the driver is holding the steering wheel. Thus, the driver is able to shift gears with a manual-like feel.

This Multi-mode automatic transmission is designed to allow the driver to switch the gear ranges; not for manually selecting single gears.

An S mode indicator light which illuminates when the S mode position is selected and a shift range indicator light, which indicates the range position, have been provided in the combination meter.
Here are the rules by which the different 2IS transmissions allow downshifting:

As you can see, 4th gear allows a top speed of 109, 113, and 109 mph, respectively. You have to be going insanely fast for 4th gear not to be appropriate for the speed at which you're driving.

Javier
Old 08-29-07, 08:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the reason it goes down to 4 is bascially you need a quick downshift. It would suck if you had to shift to sport, then paddle down twice for a downshift to pass something. Thats the reason it defaults to 4. Theres absolutely no point for the car to stay in the same gear when you go over to S mode from Auto, you are changing it because you need a downshift to pass
Old 08-29-07, 09:53 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the default @ 4th gear coz I usually downshift into freeway junctions and to pass something. Switching to S mode on 6th gear does not do me any good. Yes I could downshift 2 notches but that would be defeating the purpose of "quick" downshifting. My 2 cents.