IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The IS-F is tempting me to trade...anyone else feeling the itch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 03:45 PM
Noz
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that when most people compare the IS350 to the IS-F, only the HP and 0-60 are compared. For the most part, all I really hear from people is that +100HP is not worth he extra $25k. I guess most folks only really care about going fast in a straight line huh. Think about the other upgrades you will be getting with the trade... bigger brakes, 19 inch forged wheels, better suspension/handling, 8spd trans with a much faster shift, 3 modes for VDIM, white leather seats, CF interior trim, 2 extra cylinders, more torque, exterior upgrades, and more that isn't known yet. All that added up, and being able to keep your warranty, I think it's definetly worth the $25. But what someone else said on this thread, it won't be worth it unless you really use the car... or you just plain have the money and nothing else to do with it. Just my 2 cents.

Noz
Old 09-05-07, 03:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not I.

I'm happy with my 350. IS-F is overkill for me...
Old 09-05-07, 04:36 PM
xkylar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would upgrade if I had the money to burn. If it makes you happier to get one go for it, you deserve to drive an IS-F.

Before I bought my IS350 I was thinking "I don't really need all that power and other creature comforts, Camry would be fine". My wife told me go get your dream car, you don't need it but you want it. YOU DESERVE IT. I wish she would say the same thing with the IS-F but all I got was a big NO lol.
Old 09-05-07, 05:24 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

While I commend Lexus for "finally" offering a "performance" car to compete with the likes of the M3, I just don't care for the IS-F style. Perhaps an IS-F coupe would look better. The word that many of you have used, "ricey", comes to mind. I for one am waiting to see what the SC-F will be about as that might be my next car.
Old 09-05-07, 06:22 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Just as "DropTopGal" said, too ricey as she quoted others.

If the production model looks like those initial photos from late last year/early this year, I don't care how much HP it's got.

I don't like vehicles that look like they have "stuff" slapped on to them to make them look even faster. I don't need air vents/holes/grooves,etc. It makes it look like some Jr. High schooler. But of course, if you're in Jr. High and you like that along with the money, well then......

Personally, I like a clean look. If I could afford it, I'd buy the base 911 Carerra. I think it looks smooth and clean and at the same time looks aggressive, the IS250/350 comes to mind also. ;^)

Hey, it's your money, your decision, you do what makes you happy, it's not up to us, only you.

You asked for opinions and I think you got truthful ones.

Of course, if you do get it, you have to post the pics and let us know all about it!

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 09-05-07 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-07, 06:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bottom line at this point is ..... NO ONE outside of Lexus Corp has any real idea of how the IS-F is going to perform in relation to its competition, aka, the M3. We have just heard snippets of how the performance is going to be, but does anyone really, truly, believe it is going to outperform the M3? Be honest. Lexus has to prove it has the right stuff, which has always come up short in the past. The old IS300 never challenged the 3 series, and the newer IS is closer but still hasn't topped the small Bimmer, contrary to what Lexus advertised prior to introduction. I would not want to bet that the IS-F is going to beat the M3 in overall performance. It'll be a good effort, but it will still be a bridesmaid as far as the definitive sports sedan. Talk about trading in at this point is conjecture and wishful thinking. Let's see how it works in real life first.
Old 09-05-07, 06:56 PM
euro.r
Driver

No, I think the the IS-F is hideous.
Old 09-05-07, 07:05 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

I say do it cause the IS-F is pretty fast and moderately price to boot. Also, at least you can tell the difference between the ISF and a regular ISx50.
Old 09-05-07, 07:17 PM
mt1
Rookie

I was also considering a trade up for the v8 hp, 8 speed transmission, 19" wheels, etc.

I still love my 350.

I want one of each.
Old 09-05-07, 07:21 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

C&D listed the IS-F in their latest issue as "starting under $50k" (paraphrased). If that's true, it will steal a LOT of potential IS 350 buyers. That's about $7k more than the negotiated price of my car back in July of 06.

I'm inclined to believe that the real starting point will be closer to $60k.
Old 09-05-07, 09:06 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DiauR1
Thats true but i'm thinking the ISF may be the best bang for the $$ in terms of true performance sedan. Plus it would be more fun to drive a 400hp car with warranty than my stage 3 S4.

Realistically say if the trade in was 35K and ISF was 55K
20K in 4 yr equity loan finance would probably be in the $200ish range. Very tempting
Sorry but your calculations are wrong unless you paid off your car already. Lets say you paid $40k for the car and you still owe $32k and the car is worth $27k, thats $5k difference. Now that $5k will be tacked on to whatever the IS-F is selling for, lets say $60k, so now the IS-F will cost you $65k plus you still have tax, title and so on. Believe me Im very tempted as well but I will lose my down payment and I have negative equity with the car so to be smart I cant.
Old 09-05-07, 09:48 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
If that's true, it will steal a LOT of potential IS 350 buyers.
350 already has plenty of buyers for it. I thought they said they are only producing 1000 IS-Fs. If so, impact on 350 sales are negligible.
Old 09-05-07, 09:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz
better suspension/handling,
This caught my eye... and you know this how? and better than what? is the lux suspension so much greater than the sport suspension now? no... The sports suspension now is still... very lacking imo. My 89 5.0 on ORIGINAL FACTORY springs with kyb shocks 'feels' better than my xpac IS going thru a twisty road at speed... maybe this is apples n oranges but hey the apple is still from 1989...
Old 09-05-07, 10:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I thought they said they are only producing 1000 IS-Fs.
That is false info. 300-400 a month is what is slated for the IS-F.
Old 09-05-07, 10:07 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

haha iknew iwas gonna trade up so i got the 250 :0 it is well worth it just need to see it in the showroom floor before i can buy

Quick Reply: The IS-F is tempting me to trade...anyone else feeling the itch?