IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which replacement tires are best for IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 12:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

PS2s and RE050A PP's were within 0.08 seconds on Tire Rack's dry test. They were 0.5 seconds faster in the wet. This is despite being heavier than the PS2s.

I have them on my car and have about 1000 miles on them. They're quieter than the OEM RE050, better in the rain, and handle as much as the car will give them. They're also quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins.

I'm perfectly happy with them.
Old 09-06-07, 01:58 AM
Zanorath
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I live in Washington where wet performance is pretty important so I went with Birdgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. I don't have very many miles on them yet but so far they're quiet and comfortable despite going with a lower profile than stock. Performance so far has been great, but the Sport Maxx series was a pretty crappy baseline to compare to.
Old 09-06-07, 08:34 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do not waste your money on summer tires unless you intend to track the car. I got a set of Avon M550 all-seasons and they are GREAT! Look at their ratings (Tirerack). They feel much more predictable (Not twitchy) then the 050s. They will last almost twice as long and cost almost half. If you are using your car only on the street, they are much better. They are also much better in bad weather and light snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=

Koz
Old 09-06-07, 08:44 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

I'm at 23k miles with the stock dunlops and looks like I can get at least another 10k or so. I'm sticking with the same tire when it's time.
Old 09-06-07, 09:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Koz
Do not waste your money on summer tires unless you intend to track the car. I got a set of Avon M550 all-seasons and they are GREAT! Look at their ratings (Tirerack). They feel much more predictable (Not twitchy) then the 050s. They will last almost twice as long and cost almost half. If you are using your car only on the street, they are much better. They are also much better in bad weather and light snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=

Koz
Don't waste your money on all season tires unless you live where it freezes more than 5 days a year.

Summer tires are not track tires, they're just optimised for warmer base temperatures. Summer only describes the lower limit of the compound's operating temperature - nothing more.
Old 09-06-07, 11:20 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Don't waste your money on all season tires unless you live where it freezes more than 5 days a year.
If you choose to follow this advice, please also be considerate enough to post here to advise the rest of us in your area, on those freezing days, if you choose to join other drivers on the roads! Thank you in advance!
(IMO, this advice is good for only 360 days per year.)
Old 09-06-07, 11:39 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS
If you choose to follow this advice, please also be considerate enough to post here to advise the rest of us in your area, on those freezing days, if you choose to join other drivers on the roads! Thank you in advance!
Err... what are you trying to say? On those freezing days, just drive like a granny... Your not suggesting that just for those 5 days you should get all season tires???

Buying tires is a case by case based on location/driving style AND alittle bit of common sense. Reguardless of the tires/weather you shouldnt be driving like Fernando Alonso, 'if you choose to join other drivers on the roads!'
Old 09-06-07, 11:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CWS
Sure. I drove my Bridgestone S-02s on my Supra across Wyoming in October 1997 after a freak blizzard. Snow, ice, and sand everywhere. I overnighted in Cheyenne and woke up to a frozen solid I-80 the next morning. I drove 47 miles to the border of Wyoming and Nebraska where the ice stopped on those summer tires at 40 mph without incident. There were three jack-knifed semis, any number of cars off the side of the road, and even a motorhome in the median on its side belching out smoke from the fire within. I witnessed two accidents, one of whom was an idiot in a 4WD who believed he could violate the laws of physics.

Can't drive? No. Can't drive stupid? Yes. 5 days a year? Take the bus if you're that worried about it.
Old 09-06-07, 12:29 PM
Zanorath
Pole Position

Freezing temps is exactly why I went with AS tires. Last year I was on the stock Dunlops and had to ditch my car three times and walk because of compacted snow on a small incline. I'm guessing it was all in the tires because other rwd cars were making it up with no problem. Never had a problem in the rain on summer tires except really bad off the line.

I heard that below around 50 degrees F summer tires become worse than a good all season tire because the compound becomes too hard. This seems to make sense, and it if true that'd make A/S tires better over half the year here.
Old 09-06-07, 02:47 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why would you pay more for a tire that doesn't last as long, isn't any better handling on the street and is useless if there is any snow? The A/S M550s are GREAT tires.

Koz
Old 09-06-07, 02:57 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^ Those Avons are made of lead !!! Fronts are 6lbs and rears are 4lbs heavier than stock (Dunlops). Not to mention the PS2 would be 10lbs/8lbs lighter than the Avons. I'm not willing to toss 18lbs of unnecessary rotational mass on my daily driver. . .
Old 09-06-07, 04:23 PM
cneeley
Rookie

and summer tires just look cooler (in most cases)
Old 09-06-07, 04:50 PM
euro.r
Driver

i'm running the BFG KDW2s on my TSX and have nothing but great things to say. They're a bit noisy but it's something I can deal with. I plan to use these tires on the 350 when the time comes.
Old 09-06-07, 05:28 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Bridgestone = best JDM tires.
Old 09-06-07, 05:48 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Why would you pay more for a tire that doesn't last as long, isn't any better handling on the street and is useless if there is any snow? The A/S M550s are GREAT tires.

Koz
Obviously we (and the automakers) choose summer tires for sporty cars because they are, generally speaking, better handling in warm weather. Tread design elements like sipes (narrow slits that wick away the thin sheet of water on top of snow and ice) are inferior to a solid tread block on a dry road. Conversely, all season tires are inferior to dedicated snow tires in inclement winter weather. All season tires are a compromise that works well enough for the vast population of drivers who don't want to be bothered switching over their tires twice a year, but you are deluding yourself if you think you don't give up anything by choosing them.

Quick Reply: Which replacement tires are best for IS350?