IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is the OEM Trunk Spoiler installed at the factory or at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 12:27 PM
Pineapple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the OEM Trunk Spoiler installed at the factory or at the dealership?

Is the OEM Trunk Spoiler installed at the factory or at the dealership? I know you can add it on if your car didn't come with it. The dealership will order it from the distribution center, which is painted in house in the USA. If I special order an IS, does it mean the spoiler will be painted at installed at the factory? I don't see an option on kbb for it so does that mean it all done through the dealership?

My Black Sapphire Pearl IS250 didn't come with the trunk spoiler so I ordered it from Sewell Lexus. The color was off (too much metallic purple) and there was excessive orange peal.

I'm about to special order a 2008 IS350 and was wondering if the spoiler would be installed at the factory, that way it will guarantee a perfect color match and fit and finish.

Last edited by Pineapple; 09-08-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 01:10 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

It's part of PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) at the dealership.
Old 09-08-07, 01:13 PM
Pineapple

So that means the dealership installs it right? I think I read somewhere the spoiler is painted at the factory and they just put it in the trunk for the dealership to install. Is this correct?
Old 09-08-07, 02:47 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

My understanding of this is the answer to the question:

Is the OEM Trunk Spoiler installed at the factory or at the dealership?

Neither, I believe.

My understanding is the rear spoiler and the two optional wheels (and other stuff) are PIO (port installed options), like the previous generations L-tuned model equipment, and were installed at the Toyota port when ordered with the car.

The dealer can obviously put them on too...for a fee. The port installation equipment cost is figured into the MSRP cost of the option. The dealer will likely want to charge you the parts price plus installation for the stuff if you ask for it a la carte.

Last edited by CRB; 09-08-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 02:56 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by Pineapple
So that means the dealership installs it right? I think I read somewhere the spoiler is painted at the factory and they just put it in the trunk for the dealership to install. Is this correct?
Yes, the front lip and spoilers come pre-painted for installation as part of PDI.

Javier
Old 09-08-07, 03:20 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Yes, the front lip and spoilers come pre-painted for installation as part of PDI.
Javier
I don't work for a dealership or a Toyota Port Accessory Installation center but Toyota/Lexus/Scion product coming into the U.S. goes through these installation centers for a reason. I found these bits from an internet search:

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are purchasing a 2006 LX470. We really want the factory rear spoiler on the vehicle as the one we have on our RX300 makes a huge difference in keeping the rear window clear and we assume the same will hold true with the LX.

Our problem is that we can't seem to get a straight answer. One dealer is telling us that the OEM spoilers don't come on cars coming to CA and the only way to do that is go aftermarket. Another dealer is telling us that we can have the factory part installed at port before it comes to the dealer or have the dealer install a factory part later. That dealer says that having it done at the port is considerably cheaper than any of the other alternatives.

Our car is supposed to be in port on or around 2/14. I'd really appreciate any of your insight.

Thanks in advance.

Christian
Scion only sells the accessories through dealers. Accessories that are difficult or time-consuming to install are usually installed in port facilities before the car reaches the dealer. Examples of these might be TRD clutch, shifter, cruise control, spoiler, fog lights. The dealers do floor mats, wheel covers, radios. I had my dealer put in the basic radio and the wheel covers. Then I got this stuff online except for the shocks, and I installed it all except for the sunroof, leather seat covers and cruise control: Rear shocks, pair SensaTrac
Now I may be wrong and for some reason this IS spoiler may not be put on until it hits the dealers lot but it would be a break of standard operating procedure for Toyota and I don't see why it would be an exception. The question is who is paying the dealer to install what should be a port installed option ?

Last edited by CRB; 09-08-07 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 04:04 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^You're wasting time on semantics. Whether it's installed at the port or at the dealership is irrelevant. They're the same parts, installed after the vehicle arrives stateside. The OP wanted to know whether the spoiler is installed at the factory or not. The answer is no, it's not installed at the factory. I've seen several IS's go through PDS with my own eyes, and I have, in my possession, the PDS procedures that the dealership follows for the 2nd generation IS. I've posted what I've seen, and that's all I'm going to say about the matter.

Javier
Old 09-08-07, 04:32 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
^You're wasting time on semantics. Whether it's installed at the port or at the dealership is irrelevant. They're the same parts, installed after the vehicle arrives stateside. The OP wanted to know whether the spoiler is installed at the factory or not. The answer is no, it's not installed at the factory. I've seen several IS's go through PDS with my own eyes, and I have, in my possession, the PDS procedures that the dealership follows for the 2nd generation IS. I've posted what I've seen, and that's all I'm going to say about the matter.

Javier
I'll defer to javy's vast first hand experience and "in hand" documentation, however, I think the bottom line for the OP is that including the spoiler in the special order is, in fact, the preferred course of action in this case.

I will say that a port install versus a dealer install is more than "semantics" and have seen some "dealer installs", yes by Lexus dealers, that hardly live up to "Lexus standards".

Last edited by CRB; 09-08-07 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 08:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ordering it and having it installed at the Port is the preferred option. They probably do thousands of these installs each month and they have the special jigs and measuring tools to do the job fast and expertly. I've never really seen a bum installation on any of the cars I see on the dealer's lot with the spoiler shown on the sticker price label. And it will be the cheapest way to go at about $350 or so. There have been some stories of dealer installed spoilers not being done to Lexus standards.
Old 09-08-07, 08:41 PM
Pineapple

Excellent. Just what I needed to know. I will include the Rear Spoiler when I do the special order. THanks guys!
Old 09-08-07, 09:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Ordering it and having it installed at the Port is the preferred option. They probably do thousands of these installs each month and they have the special jigs and measuring tools to do the job fast and expertly. I've never really seen a bum installation on any of the cars I see on the dealer's lot with the spoiler shown on the sticker price label. And it will be the cheapest way to go at about $350 or so. There have been some stories of dealer installed spoilers not being done to Lexus standards.
^^ I agree 110% !!!

Originally Posted by Pineapple
Excellent. Just what I needed to know. I will include the Rear Spoiler when I do the special order. Thanks guys!
^^ Excellent Idea!!!!

Having the OEM Trunk spoiler as a Port Installed Option (PIO) is the safest way to go... Not only do they have the special procedures for the install, but the paint is guranteed to match perfectly.

When the ISx50 goes through PDI or PDS, which bascially means Pre Delivery Inspection, the dealership Lexus Tech does the final things to the car before it goes through dealer wash/prep..

They install the wheel center caps, oem front lip, shift lock over ride cap, all fluid check, TPMS initialization & test drive.
(maybe a few other things too)

Personally, I would never have the dealership install the trunk spoiler or any of the available Dealer installed options like wheels...
Not only is there a possibilty of a mishap, but they will charge up the ying-yang!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-08-07 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo