IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

traded the MT in for AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 02:47 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traded the MT in for AT

Well I finally got fed up with the 06 MT and traded in for a 07 AT.. I must say the car feels much nicer with the auto trans. The manual was just odd feeling from the get go to me, never could really get used to it.

Count me as happy once again.
Old 09-08-07, 02:57 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I'm surprised you didn't test drive the cars initially when you bought the MT.
Old 09-08-07, 03:06 PM
RED_IS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too surprised. Though I like the comfort the AT, it's kinda sucks how it's not really the "sporty" in Sport mode but more like "manually gated AT". I'd like more manual control over it if I was to switch to Sport mode.
Old 09-08-07, 03:13 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by cspec
I'm surprised you didn't test drive the cars initially when you bought the MT.
I drove both initially but I was coming from a 300+ hp/tq mustang mach1 at the time and really wanted to stick with a manual trans. After time though it really started to bother me. It's a bit notchy, makes odd noises during clutch take up.... just felt like it was thrown into the car with no real regard at all. The auto is smooth as heck, and feels more responsive to me Opposite of what I thought it would be

Also I was trying to cheap out and save some money.... Look where that got me!
Old 09-08-07, 03:14 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by RED_IS250
I'm too surprised. Though I like the comfort the AT, it's kinda sucks how it's not really the "sporty" in Sport mode but more like "manually gated AT". I'd like more manual control over it if I was to switch to Sport mode.
Trust me, the MT is no sportier feeling.
Old 09-08-07, 03:23 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Yep, every toyota MT car I have ever drivenflet bad to me. Toyota just has no idea how do make a MT or clutch or something. So how much did you lose in the trade?
Old 09-08-07, 03:27 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Yep, every toyota MT car I have ever drivenflet bad to me. Toyota just has no idea how do make a MT or clutch or something. So how much did you lose in the trade?
They gave me 24k for the trade. MT, no options except for the 18" sport tire package the all have. ( car needed tires as well had 20k on it.)

The 07 was 31500 and has HID, rear spoiler, and preffered accessory package.
Old 09-08-07, 03:27 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoafb
I drove both initially but I...really wanted to stick with a manual trans. After time though it really started to bother me. It's a bit notchy, makes odd noises during clutch take up.... just felt like it was thrown into the car with no real regard at all.
It's like you read my mind! On my test drive, I thought the 6MT was a little finicky, but I figured I could get used to it. Then, on my first long drive, I noticed that the car made a noise like a jar of marbles when I was accelerating, and it began REALLY bothering me.

Lexus replaced the whole clutch under warranty at about 1400, and things were good for about 500 miles, but the noise is now back (I am at 2300 miles), and while not as bad, it's still annoying.

It's just amazing.......I think that just about everything in the car feels like it was engineered with precision and care and passion, except for the transmission/clutch, which are an insult for this price and class of vehicle.

That said, I'm thinking about jumping ship too, but I have NO idea what I'd want instead.......
Old 09-08-07, 03:35 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I don't think they spent much time R&Ding the manual tranny for the car.
Old 09-08-07, 03:35 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Recluse
It's like you read my mind! On my test drive, I thought the 6MT was a little finicky, but I figured I could get used to it. Then, on my first long drive, I noticed that the car made a noise like a jar of marbles when I was accelerating, and it began REALLY bothering me.

Lexus replaced the whole clutch under warranty at about 1400, and things were good for about 500 miles, but the noise is now back (I am at 2300 miles), and while not as bad, it's still annoying.

It's just amazing.......I think that just about everything in the car feels like it was engineered with precision and care and passion, except for the transmission/clutch, which are an insult for this price and class of vehicle.

That said, I'm thinking about jumping ship too, but I have NO idea what I'd want instead.......
Yep, same sound I had, also starting out in first you had to release just right not for it not to make a racket.

I felt exactly the same way as you, the AT just didn't feel right in the car at all.... totally killed my "lexus experience" hahahaa... Go take an AT out on an extended drive. You won't look back.
Old 09-09-07, 12:54 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

AT on isx50 FTW
Old 09-09-07, 07:14 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by t0e
AT on isx50 FTW
Yea, I know it's slow.... but with the MT it was still slow.....
Old 09-10-07, 08:12 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

def. takes time to get used to the clutch.....

I am happy with my 6MT.......hehe
Old 09-10-07, 08:14 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Sometimes I wish they had a nice manual gearbox for the IS350. Then I'd be happy.
Old 09-10-07, 08:51 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
Sometimes I wish they had a nice manual gearbox for the IS350. Then I'd be happy.
I would have bought the 350 it in a heartbeat if they have 6MT....

Quick Reply: traded the MT in for AT