IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 MT - a Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 08:45 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS250 MT - a Question

Well, I've been lurking around this forum for quite a little while now and as I have ordered a new IS i figure its about time to make an account. I am currently waiting on my '08 white IS250 MT w/ leather to arrive from the factory and I have a burning question that needs to be addressed regarding the manual transmission.

basically, my question is 'does it suck?'

I have heard various things in regards to the tranny, and most describe it to be either mediocre or terrible.

I ordered the MT because in terms of driving I consider myself a purist, and driving automatic, to me, seems like you are cutting the driving experience in half.

The dealership from which I am purchasing the vehicle did not have a manual trasmission IS in stock because they sell so few and consequently my test drives were all done in AT IS's.

I enjoyed driving the IS250 immensely and my hopes are that the MT will not ruin the experience once i receive shipment. Granted, I am upgrading from a 1990 DA type Integra LS that has the notchiest gearbox and longest clutch in the world, and therefore I should be pretty easy to please.

Does anyone on here drive a 6 speed IS? If you could provide your opinion on it I would be grateful.

(plz don't ask me how much I paid for it though.. as a Canadian I'm pretty much getting raped anally on this car. Its basically going to be as much as an American would pay + 8 grand - half the options. )
Old 09-08-07, 09:00 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

i love mines! i thought 08 wasnt going to make stick
Old 09-08-07, 09:55 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Hi, and welcome.

Before I answer, let me direct you to a recent Canadian review of the IS250 6MT, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/featu...speed%20manual

I mention the article because what the driving impressions mentioned in that article are a solid match with my experience.

Here are some more specific comments:

1. I DO think a manual transmission suits the 2.5 liter V6 better than the automatic. I have driven an automatic model, and it felt sluggish to me. The 6MT does not.

2. The shifter is just OK. It's kind of rubbery, the throws are long, it's occasionally notchy, and it doesn't seem to like to be shifted extremely quickly. That said, it's also pretty low-effort: I can and do often shift with one finger, using the groove in the shift ****.

3. The clutch, in my opinion, DOES suck. It has a very long travel (I can't get it all the way down unless I lift my heel off the carpet), and a high and abrupt engagement point. I find it a very tricky clutch in general, and starting off from a dead stop requires a bit of concentration to do it 100% smoothly (although maybe a little DBW throttle lag might be involved in that, too?).

The clutch is also VERY noisy and rattly, at least in my car. When it is driven for more than a half hour or so, the clutch starts making a sound like marbles in a jar, whenever I accelerate from a stop. After two months of my complaints, Lexus finally replaced the whole clutch assembly (at 1400 miles). It was fantastic at first, but now at 2300 miles, the noise is fully back, although not quite as bad as it was before.

So, to summarize, I can't say the 6MT version "sucks." But in the face of the beautiful interior and exterior, the level of detail Lexus put into this car (the gently illuminated footwells, the spring-loaded grab handles, etc.), and the $33,000 MSRP (which I did not pay, by the way), the 6MT setup by contrast feels decidedly out of place and downmarket.
Old 09-08-07, 10:16 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Thanks for the post, that really puts my worries to rest... with the exception of the clutch rattle.

I guess I'll just have to hope that Lexus will be addressing that problem in the 2008 model. If not, there is always the warranty to fall back on if the situation occurs

I'm pretty used to living with a difficult manual tranny though. I've driven a couple Civic Si's, a G35, and some domestics and all of them had incredibly light and easy clutch pedals and relatively short throw gearboxes in comparison to my integra.

needless to say its time for my old car to go, and i'm quite sure il be very satisfied with the lexus regardless of any minor foibles
Old 09-08-07, 11:38 PM
labdriver
Driver School Candidate

I'm not too impressed with mine. I pretty much agree with everything recluse listed. It's a slow and boring car to drive. The only thing I really like about the car is the levinson radio. I went from a civic si to this and regret it. After 4 months, I'm already thinking of getting rid of it.
Old 09-08-07, 11:48 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by labdriver
I'm not too impressed with mine. I pretty much agree with everything recluse listed. It's a slow and boring car to drive. The only thing I really like about the car is the levinson radio. I went from a civic si to this and regret it. After 4 months, I'm already thinking of getting rid of it.
I've had mine for about 5 months, and I'm thinking the same thing.
Old 09-09-07, 12:08 AM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Recluse
I've had mine for about 5 months, and I'm thinking the same thing.
If you guys were to get rid of your cars, what else would you buy? upgrade to an IS350?
Old 09-09-07, 12:27 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fearlessfx
If you guys were to get rid of your cars, what else would you buy? upgrade to an IS350?
That's a great question. I don't know yet, which is why I'm still hanging onto it.

I would LOVE to have an IS350, but they are simply more money than I prefer to spend, even if I special-ordered one that was lightly-equipped (MSRP with just 18" wheels and xenon headlights would be about $38K).
Old 09-09-07, 12:47 AM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Should look into an Acura TL type S, iv heard great things about it. Although I'm unsure how much it costs in the US...
Old 09-09-07, 05:36 AM
neova
Pole Position

I came from an IS300 5MT into the IS250 6MT and here are some differences

1) IS300 clutch engagement point is near the bottom and travel is shorter. It's almost like a sports clutch where you just step all the way down and shift. Allows for much quicker shifting. The IS250 clutch engagement point is about 1.5" from the bottom and takes some getting used to find the friction point to hold your car in gear during traffic stops with slight inclines (better to use the handbrakes)

2) The IS250 shifter is a lot smoother than IS300. I can shift with relative ease and never had a problem getting in/out of gears. The feel is a bit rubbery but can't expect anything more from Lexus on this

3) 6TH gear is the perfect overdrive gear on the IS250 and the V6. The transmission is very quiet and I often shift into 6th gear once past 60km/h and I've been getting 650km to 680km per 60L tank of gas... awesome fuel economy for a luxury car.

congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
Old 09-09-07, 07:09 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my MT for about a year and a half. I couldn't stand it anymore and traded back in to an AT. The manual is very difficult to shift quickly and smoothly and to me the 07AT feels faster off the line. You really have to launch the MT just right from a stop not to bog. AT..... just hit the gas and go.

You will have to judge for yourself though in the end. Either car is still very nice. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-09-07, 07:28 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Should look into an Acura TL type S, iv heard great things about it. Although I'm unsure how much it costs in the US...
I have driven it, and it's a great car (even though it's FWD). However, MSRP is about $39K, and even with end-of-the-year deals, it's still like $34K, which is more than I want to spend, and close enough in price to the IS350 that I'd just stretch to one of those. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 09-09-07, 07:34 AM
labdriver
Driver School Candidate

I would of got the is350 if it was available with a manual. I just can't see myself buying an automatic. I'll probably get an s2000.
Old 09-09-07, 07:42 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shoafb
You really have to launch the MT just right from a stop not to bog.
I agree 100%. I thought I would get used to it, but so far, 100% success has been elusive.
Old 09-09-07, 07:44 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

I just can't see myself buying an automatic. I'll probably get an s2000.
Good choice. I'm jealous.

Quick Reply: 2008 IS250 MT - a Question