IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My brother wants my IS350. Should I give it to him?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 06:14 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your brother needs to grow up, get a job, and live within his means. Just because he likes to drive a Lexus doesn't mean he is entitled to do so. Let him get a car he can afford, if that means a Corolla, so be it. Quit facilitating his laziness by thinking of giving him your IS. He needs a kick in the backside to get going. My opinion only. It's called Tough Love.
Old 09-10-07, 06:51 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a GS dude. If you are to buy an IS-F, might as well get the new M3. If you are to stay in the Lexus family, I think the GS, like you said, is a nice compromise and on top of that, the new GS with wheels and kit, and lowering module, is sexy.
Old 09-10-07, 07:08 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would wait a bit and get the GS460.
Old 09-10-07, 08:00 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

people need to "earn" their lexus. let him buy one himself....

In the meantime you can keep the IS and get a new GS.....hahaha....
Old 09-10-07, 08:00 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Hey def get the ISF. If i can do it all over again i'd would either get the ISF or put the 40K on a downpayment for m3/m5 or RS4.

use the bike in the meantime bro
Old 09-10-07, 08:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Your brother needs to grow up, get a job, and live within his means... Quit facilitating his laziness by thinking of giving him your IS...
He did get a job. He just decided to keep using the ES after the job-hunting. My parents thought about "selling" the ES to him, but my dad loves the car for himself.

Also, I'm not gonna "give" the IS; I will sell it to him so that he takes over the payments, as well as pay for the difference in resale value. That would give me the opportunity to upgrade, or downgrade if needed.
Old 09-10-07, 08:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
He did get a job. He just decided to keep using the ES after the job-hunting. My parents thought about "selling" the ES to him, but my dad loves the car for himself.

Also, I'm not gonna "give" the IS; I will sell it to him so that he takes over the payments, as well as pay for the difference in resale value. That would give me the opportunity to upgrade, or downgrade if needed.
This is more palpable, because at first I agreed with Evitzee and was more or less horrified with this:

"My brother however has been "spoiled" with Lexus luxury, and is not willing to "downgrade."

Well I worked for the Lexus corporate office as an intern this summer and had a new GX 470, GS 450h, GS 350, RX 400h, or IS every other week...and now I'm back to my '03 Camry. I guess I too have been spoiled with Lexus luxury and am no longer going to be able to drive my "lowly" Camry.

You should do what you want with your car, and your brother needs to be a big boy and make a living for himself, without you or your parents holding his hand. If you want to sell him your car and would like the change into something new, then by all means, go for it. If you don't want to, just because your brother cannot bear the thought of anything other than supple leather and opulent wood trim caressing every inch of his being...doesn't mean you need to.

It sounds like you and your family both have enjoyed at least a reasonable amount of wealth, and not to sound snobby, but mine certainly has as well and do you know what I had as my first car? A 4 year old Camry LE 4cylinder, of which I had to pay for half of. If I ever told someone in my family that I just couldn't downgrade from a premium branded vehicle and had to have one...people would be laughing in my face and rightfully so.
Old 09-10-07, 08:26 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wow, youre a nicer brother than I am, Id make him take that new job and earn that Lexus like the rest of us did!
Old 09-10-07, 08:30 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

i dont know. if i were you i wouldnt do it. is350 is a nice car. i dont think anything out there can compare for the price. id make him go get his own is350 lol i wouldnt have put all that money in to loose it for an upgrade to which ur not even sure if ur gonna be happy with.
Old 09-10-07, 08:54 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

If you mean "give" it to him for $30K, then sure. I wouldn't give anyone something that valuable, for a whole bunch of reasons. You can buy a new car this way so that is a perq.
Old 09-10-07, 10:31 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

First, your last motorcycle mishap should have left an impression on you, don't rely on your bike as a daily driver - too many @sshole drivers out there.

If you're willing to sell your IS for $30k to your lil' brother, go for it. You could do better on a private sell, but you'd prolly get the same for a dealer trade, so why not keep it in the family. Only thing, make your lil' bro take some advanced driving classes as a condition of sale - you don't want him to wrap the 306hp rocket around a pole (it ain't no camry, uh ES) and don't let him log on to CL where he'll learn the brake dance.

Lastly, why not go for the GS350. After all it is the IS350's big brother. . .
Old 09-10-07, 10:33 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
If I were you I would wait a bit and get the GS460.
You should check out the 3GS forum, lots of PO'd GS enthusiasts over there. They are proclaiming the GS460 DOA before it even hits the showrooms. . .
Old 09-10-07, 11:53 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Talking

NO!! You should not give it to your brother........ you should give it to me instead!

I only have three letters for you and I think you already know what they are.

I......S......F
Old 09-10-07, 12:07 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

are you going to get one Liz?? ISF^
Old 09-10-07, 12:07 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Your brother needs to grow up, get a job, and live within his means. Just because he likes to drive a Lexus doesn't mean he is entitled to do so. Let him get a car he can afford, if that means a Corolla, so be it. Quit facilitating his laziness by thinking of giving him your IS. He needs a kick in the backside to get going. My opinion only. It's called Tough Love.
Agreed 100%. It's just amazing that people think they deserve the world when they didn't earn any of it

I drove a 98 altima for 8 years before i got the IS. And i had an 84 ford ltd before that!! lol

Quick Reply: My brother wants my IS350. Should I give it to him?