IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My brother wants my IS350. Should I give it to him?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 10:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My brother wants my IS350. Should I give it to him?

Scenario: My brother has been driving my parents' '07 ES350 for the past year (it was supposed to be a short term "loan" while he looked for a job), and although it's not his car, he's added 20k miles on it in a year. My parents have had enough, and told him he can't drive it anymore.

My brother however has been "spoiled" with Lexus luxury, and is not willing to "downgrade." He wants to only pay about $30k for a car, so he either has to get a used Lexus, or a bare bones new IS/ES.

He's offered to take my car, as I am quite flexible with my car options (I can't believe he offered to take my IS just a couple of days after I sold my LS460L... ).

My car is an '06 IS350 with near 30k miles on it. KBB value is $35k, not including my mods.

Question: Shall I give it to him?

Perhaps I can get something else; wait for the IS coupe, or IS-F (motorcycle only until it arrives)? I can get a GS350, or even the SC430 (I have always loved that car). No plans on getting the LS460L again; it didn't fit my personality very well. I want to stay in the Lexus family...
Old 09-09-07, 10:29 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humm is ur brother nice to you? it depends on if he sucks up enough and has earned it haha. if u guys get along well, u could i mean he is your brother. u can just get the is-f
Old 09-09-07, 10:31 PM
jurutera
Driver

If the LS didnt suit u my guess is the GS wont suit u either.Its probably best u sell it outside for that extra 5K and get the IS-F which will make u happier.
OR
Sell it to ur bro later when the IS-F is here so u wont be riding ur bike all the time.
Old 09-09-07, 10:32 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

for me as fun as riding is... i would not have it as my only means of transportation. For me its just too impractical, although a ISF and a ducati does make a good pari
Old 09-09-07, 10:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I agree with jurutera, if the LS wasn't for you, not sure how happy you'd be in a GS, when I drove it at ToL in 06 and 07 I was unimpressed, mainly by the handling, which wasn't sporty at all IMO.

I won't say weather or not you should give your IS350 to your brother, becuase I don't know your family situation. Assuming you do give it to him, and you enjoy the IS350 and want to stay in the Lexus family, I think the choice is clear... IS-F.
Old 09-09-07, 10:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Ramon
I agree with jurutera, if the LS wasn't for you, not sure how happy you'd be in a GS, when I drove it at ToL in 06 and 07 I was unimpressed, mainly by the handling, which wasn't sporty at all IMO.

I won't say weather or not you should give your IS350 to your brother, becuase I don't know your family situation. Assuming you do give it to him, and you enjoy the IS350 and want to stay in the Lexus family, I think the choice is clear... IS-F.
The LS was great as long as I had the IS as well. I think the GS with the proper mods can be a great compromise between the two.

As far as my brother is concerned, I'm willing to be a big brother and help him out. I'm still unmoved by the IS-F (I don't find it functional or necessary compared to my IS350), but then again, I have never been behind the wheel... DAMMIT! I've been waiting for the IS coupe for sooo long...
Old 09-09-07, 11:49 PM
neova
Pole Position

In terms of cars, you might not find another lexus in the family that would be as fun as the IS350 (until the IS-F is out) So if you want to stick with Lexus your current car is ideal. The GS is a much bigger car and won't be as nimble (Lexus handling isn't the best to start with) so IS might be your only choice if you want a "fun" lexus...

If you already have another car in mind then by all means, sell your IS350 or just trade it in for the new car. if you're going out of your way to think about a new car just because a family member wants your current ride from you, then it depends on your relationship with your little brother and whether you want to continue spoiling him or let him come down to earth. Your parents made their decision already about this situation so maybe you can use that as a guide for your decision. Cheers
Old 09-10-07, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well if that can bring you a better next option, why not?
Old 09-10-07, 12:09 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Help him find a used IS250
Old 09-10-07, 12:09 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

LOL just tell him to go buy a altima coupe or get a job to buy a new IS and pay the rest of it as monthly... by selling him your IS for 30k your only spoiling him more, it is a 'big brothers' job... no... DUTY to make the younger ones realize you gotta work for the things you want in life.
Old 09-10-07, 12:16 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it give ur bro your car....i gave my older bro my tsx :P and i didnt even take money for it just out right gave him my 05 tsx :P thats what bros are for and here you will get money for yours
Old 09-10-07, 12:19 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Don't give it to him. Sounds like you need to teach your brother to fish...
Old 09-10-07, 02:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Scenario: My brother has been driving my parents' '07 ES350 for the past year (it was supposed to be a short term "loan" while he looked for a job), and although it's not his car, he's added 20k miles on it in a year. My parents have had enough, and told him he can't drive it anymore.

My brother however has been "spoiled" with Lexus luxury, and is not willing to "downgrade."
Originally Posted by neova
if you're going out of your way to think about a new car just because a family member wants your current ride from you, then it depends on your relationship with your little brother and whether you want to continue spoiling him or let him come down to earth. Your parents made their decision already about this situation so maybe you can use that as a guide for your decision. Cheers
Originally Posted by llamaboiz
LOL just tell him to go buy a altima coupe or get a job to buy a new IS and pay the rest of it as monthly... by selling him your IS for 30k your only spoiling him more, it is a 'big brothers' job... no... DUTY to make the younger ones realize you gotta work for the things you want in life.
It sounds like your parents have already said it's enough and your bro needs to grow up. I agree with your parents. You'd only be undermining your parents and reinforcing your brother's behavior.

I don't have a problem helping out my brothers (and sisters) but I'd have to make a judgement call per situation.
Old 09-10-07, 02:50 AM
oliveryo
Driver

he needs to work for it, in my opinion. I am also willing to help my brother out, however it all depends on the situation at hand. as far as wanting a lexus because he use to the car luxury features, i would not help him. this he would have to do on his own. If i was to help, i wouldn't spoil him, i would help him. he doesn't need a lexus.
Old 09-10-07, 04:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

My brother however has been "spoiled" with Lexus luxury, and is not willing to "downgrade." He wants to only pay about $30k for a car, so he either has to get a used Lexus, or a bare bones new IS/ES.

He's offered to take my car, as I am quite flexible with my car options (I can't believe he offered to take my IS just a couple of days after I sold my LS460L... ).

My car is an '06 IS350 with near 30k miles on it. KBB value is $35k, not including my mods.

Question: Shall I give it to him?

Perhaps I can get something else; wait for the IS coupe, or IS-F (motorcycle only until it arrives)? I can get a GS350, or even the SC430 (I have always loved that car). No plans on getting the LS460L again; it didn't fit my personality very well. I want to stay in the Lexus family...
No--make him get a TSX.

Quick Reply: My brother wants my IS350. Should I give it to him?