IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hella Flush Volk TE37?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 05:21 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This style of fitment is the cornerstone of the VIP style originating in Japan. Love it or hate it, it takes a lot of research to get a wheel to fit flush and tuck the tires under the fender. Not to mention the mods to the fender itself.

Don't knock what you don't understand..... appreciate the lengths it take to get that fitment.

Oh, my M is close to that fitment style...

Old 09-10-07, 05:46 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
This style of fitment is the cornerstone of the VIP style originating in Japan. Love it or hate it, it takes a lot of research to get a wheel to fit flush and tuck the tires under the fender. Not to mention the mods to the fender itself.

Don't knock what you don't understand..... appreciate the lengths it take to get that fitment.

That looks good!

I think people didnt like how the rim stuck out farther from the tire. Doing it that way is pointless and are looking for trouble. When I get my rims i'm going to have an agressive offset.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 09-10-07 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 05:49 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thats a nice setup right there MrMark!
Old 09-10-07, 05:53 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
So if I can put a 195 tire on a 9 inch wide rim and get it to hold air and stretch more than Louis Armstrongs cheeks that would be perfection?? I seriously doubt that that tire/rim setup would outperform even the stock 17" setup, not to mention the horrible ride quality that those rubber bands must exhibit. We probably do 5-10 tire and rim combos at my shop every week(and I must say that the IS is probably the lowest car that we have done) and I would be ashamed to let any of them roll like that.
You're totally missing the point. I wasn't referring to great fitment of tires, but the wheels on the car. As MrMark said, the flush fitment look is VIP influenced. It's not how much you can stretch, but how flush you can get the rim to the fender. And it can't be done without stretching tires a bit. And from a performance standpoint, it's not like the IS250 lacks traction anyway.

If there was a way to get the wheels that flush without stretching tires, I'm sure everyone would do it.
Old 09-10-07, 07:29 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

dont the "vip" style camber the hell out of it to make it flush? never liked this "vip" thing anyways.
Old 09-10-07, 07:40 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

never liked the term "hella flush"

caught a stranger using a mutated version of that in public, which was "helza"

errr...
Old 09-10-07, 07:51 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
That looks better.

I think people didnt like how the rim stuck out farther from the tire. Doing it that way is pointless and are looking for trouble. When I get my rims i'm going to have an agressive offset.
I bet if we saw a more angled shot of that setup the rim would be sticking out alot more verses the tire but not as bad as the original pic that we saw, also I don't think that it really takes alot of brain power or years of experience to get a rim to fit like you say, we have a tool at our shop that simulates any rim type setup that you can imagine that you bolt onto the hub so you can see exactly where your rims are gonna ride before you plunk down some major scratch for them. As far as VIP goes...not my thing obviously, I prefer function over form and I can't honestly see ANY benefit whatsoever in this type of setup other than some people think it looks cool...but hey that's what moddin cars is all about anyways...but do you really think some of this stuff would have caught on if it didn't cost a ton of money???
Old 09-10-07, 07:55 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChrisES
And from a performance standpoint, it's not like the IS250 lacks traction anyway.

In a corner with that setup it sure would and with no sidewall left to flex it would probably break traction taking off as well.
Old 09-10-07, 08:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,030 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Not on my dog's lawnmower. But it makes the visual performance crowd all happy. It reminds me of a guy I saw back in the day trying to put A series tires on 8.5" rims for the lowrider look on a '64 Impala. The guy in the shop said he wouldn't help get the tires to seal on the rims because it was unsafe for anyone riding in the car. And it was.
Old 09-10-07, 08:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Very well said, Mark - thanks for explaining this to those that are not familiar with 'bippu.'

Javier
Old 09-10-07, 08:59 PM
flyfl1pguy

That's chloe car and the rears are 10.5
Old 09-10-07, 09:23 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't knock what you don't understand.....
I can understand form over function, IE: 40+ lb. 20" chrome wheels.

I guess I just don't understand form over safety. Those tires are on wheels they're not designed/engineered for. If the extreme stretched look is worth risking you and your loved one's welfare (not to mention the other people on the road), I'm glad I don't 'understand.'
Old 09-10-07, 09:30 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Anymore pics of this car? This car looks sweet! He is probably running 10.5's in the rear. I want to do 10's and make it look similar to that.
Old 09-10-07, 09:35 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually, tires that have been stretched over rims stay on the rim when the tire blows versus the tire coming off of the rim with traditionally mounted rims.
Old 09-10-07, 10:37 PM
V.I.P.
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
That's chloe car and the rears are 10.5
do you know where i can find more pics? i got this pic from her friend awhile ago.

Quick Reply: Hella Flush Volk TE37?