IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hella Flush Volk TE37?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 10:56 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front looks great, but the rear looks wacked. VIP style, obviously all that time used for research on fitment issues weren't wisely spent on safety aspects. Look up "sidewall failure" and that rear wheel with stretched sidewall has this written all over it.

Looks great, but not safe or functional...
Old 09-11-07, 05:49 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've yet to read about a sidewall failing from the tire being stretched. granted, it can happen... but i bet there isnt enough stretch in this instance where that could be a possibility.
Old 09-11-07, 08:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,030 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Actually, tires that have been stretched over rims stay on the rim when the tire blows versus the tire coming off of the rim with traditionally mounted rims.
Where did you hear this lie?
Old 09-11-07, 08:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by car_lost
i've yet to read about a sidewall failing from the tire being stretched. granted, it can happen... but i bet there isnt enough stretch in this instance where that could be a possibility.
You should do some research into how tire manufacturers design and load test tires to arrive at their load ratings and sizing recommendations. There is no way a stretched sidewall tire can take the rated load for the tire without catastrophic failure.
Old 09-11-07, 08:29 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't Falken tires advertise VIP fitments in their magazines ads?
any proof of sidewall failures due to tire stretching?

people that ride on stretched tires know what they're doing. they don't track their cars, they don't take their cars cross country, they don't put their cars in situations that'll compromise safety. they simply stretch their tires for looks and to cruise.

this topic/debate would only appear in 2IS section. you won't see GS, LS, SC guys complaining about this type of tire fitment. 2IS = hella conservative.
Old 09-11-07, 08:32 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onihc
this topic/debate would only appear in 2IS section. you won't see GS, LS, SC guys complaining about this type of tire fitment. 2IS = hella conservative.
yuuuup
Old 09-11-07, 08:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There are visual performance people and mechanical performance people. 2IS and even 1IS people are more mechanical performance oriented than any other class of Lexus cars. As I've said before, when you put 13.6" brakes on the front and 306 ponies under the hood, you'll attract people who are not style conscious and are more focused on mechanical performance. There are no other Lexus cars even remotely as sport oriented as the 2IS - no SC ever came with big hp, no GS or LS is marketed by 0-60 time, and we don't even want to talk about the SUVs in the same sentence. So it makes perfect sense those of us who DO track our cars would look at this styling effort and be both unimpressed and uninterested.
Old 09-11-07, 09:22 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So it makes perfect sense those of us who DO track our cars would look at this styling effort and be both unimpressed and uninterested.
you are representing 5% of members on this board that track their cars. you guys drive high horsepower cars for what they're intended for. that's great.

what about 95% of us? modding our cars for looks. we will never see a corner balancing scale. we will never see a dyno. we will never put our cars on a race track because we are "scared" to ruin our cars and hurt our resale value. my comment was geared toward the 95% of 2IS owners. we don't discuss track times, we recite magazine articles .
Old 09-11-07, 09:37 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

wow...that's sexy...but I don't have the ball to do that...Very nice...
Old 09-11-07, 10:09 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

you are representing 5% of members on this board that track their cars. you guys drive high horsepower cars for what they're intended for. that's great.

what about 95% of us? modding our cars for looks. we will never see a corner balancing scale. we will never see a dyno. we will never put our cars on a race track because we are "scared" to ruin our cars and hurt our resale value. my comment was geared toward the 95% of 2IS owners. we don't discuss track times, we recite magazine articles .
To reiterate...and possibly educate.... the VIP style that utilizes stretching of a tire on a wide rim in order to run a flush wheel is in fact functional. The only way you can achieve that "look", and I emphasize "look", is to stretch the tire. Some of the hardcore old-school VIP'ers stretch the tires a lot more than this IS did....sometimes to a ridiculous amount. I think if you enjoy the VIP look and want to run and aggressive width/offset, then mild stretching is not only desirable, but necessary. A mild stretch is no more dangerous than lowering your car or installing blinding HID fogs, yet a lot of the 2IS owners perform these mods day in and day out without a second thought.

If you don’t endorse the VIP look/style/scene, then that’s your prerogative. Just know that this type of modification is out there and gaining popularity. If you want to keep your 2IS stock….then by all means, do so. But if you do, what are you doing cruising this forum since most members here mod their cars… .
Old 09-11-07, 10:45 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thread bashing for modding your car ... NICE guys
Old 09-11-07, 11:12 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol.

this thread went to $*(#& fast
Old 09-11-07, 01:29 PM
illmike
Lead Lap

this setup is sick...dont hate cause this GIRL was able to do what you guys only dream about
Old 09-11-07, 01:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MrMark
If you don’t endorse the VIP look/style/scene, then that’s your prerogative. Just know that this type of modification is out there and gaining popularity. If you want to keep your 2IS stock….then by all means, do so. But if you do, what are you doing cruising this forum since most members here mod their cars… .
Because not everyone has the same goal in modding a car. I don't have a chain link steering wheel, but you might. I don't have air suspension, but you might. I might have bigger sway bars, or Ohlins/Penske/Moton suspension, but you won't feel they're worth the effort. You might put on a BBK because it looks impressive, and I might use a smaller brake because the series I'm racing in doesn't need even the stock brakes to do the job.

VIP is a tiny fraction of the cars on the road. So are mechanical performance mods (although I suspect if you include domestics, there is a much larger market than VIP). Just because I wouldn't do what you like to do doesn't mean anything to anyone. It just means I would not choose to mod a car your way because the car won't do what I want it to do, and you would not mod a car my way because it would not do what you want it to do.

You value fashion and style. I do not care one way or the other, and there are others even on Club Lexus who share this view. You bought a Lexus as a status symbol, and modding it to appear unique adds to your perception of status. I bought a Lexus because I needed a four door car and I didn't want FWD, no power, and I (above all) wanted Toyota reliability with a 2UR-FSE. You pondered which color to buy to send the world the "right" image about you. I asked the wife what color she liked so she'd be happy because I couldn't care less what color the car is. I really couldn't care less if the orange in the taillight shows or if my lights are stock or not, or any of a host of other fashion mods, but I would consider a mod intended to show those taillights to cars who would otherwise not see them. I buy wheels by size and weight first, appearance is totally secondary. And everything stays stock until there is a need for the car to DO something different, not look different.

So my comment about not on my dog's lawnmower reflects my personal bias about fashion related mods. 10 years from now, VIP will be old school and you'll have to buy something new. 10 years from now, 306hp will still be 306hp and my four door sedan will still accomodate 4 -5 people and get them where they need to go quickly, reasonably efficiently, and comfortably.

If it includes 10.5" rims, they'll likely have 315's or 335's on them, not 245's like I put on my Scion tC. Again, it's a lowrider thing and it's been around for many years before VIP ever came along. Skinny tires on rims not intended to have such a narrow piece of rubber on them. I don't often comment in these kinds of threads - you don't see me commenting in the lighting threads, the taillight smoke or red-out threads, or even typically in the wheel threads, but this one is advocating ignoring basic engineering for style and compromising safety for looks.

Finally, We might both be here to see if other people are doing things we are interested in doing to see how they did it, what pitfalls there may be with it, and any helpful hints on doing it so we can avoid common mistakes.
Old 09-11-07, 02:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Now that is Flush...

Quick Reply: Hella Flush Volk TE37?