IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Took advice: Engine covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 02:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These pictures are reversed. Take a look at the rubber seal that is on the under side of the hood that seals against the plastic piece that you removed. By removing the plastic piece, the intake will no longer be isolated from the engine bay. You are also allowing more air to bypass the radiator.

Off
Old 09-15-07, 02:43 PM
Cleric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would image the incoming air would be more turbulent with the front cover off would not be ideal. I also believe the second picture to be a little misleading because there is still an equal chance for air behind the intake ducts to enter the intake stream.

I believe the front cover serves multiple purposes aside from improving the appearance of the engine compartment. I would not be surprised if leaving the front cover installed would have positive benefits for cooling efficiency from better air flow to the radiator.

Last edited by Cleric; 09-15-07 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 03:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking at the front panel in person, I guess I could see how it MIGHT be restrictive. I'll go datalog it in a little bit when my laptop is charged back up. However, the rubber seal below is definitely going to need the panel in place to work effectively. If the panel is restrictive, then it seems that a better solution is to either increase the size of the openings in the panel in fromt of the intake OR cut the front of the panel off.
Attached Thumbnails Took advice: Engine covers-picture-368.jpg  
Old 09-15-07, 03:09 PM
Cleric
Driver

Hey Gernby, what's that white stuff under your hood?
Old 09-15-07, 04:37 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

that's where you keep your blow. Engine heat and fumes throw off the police dogs.
Old 09-15-07, 05:10 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Picture is fixed below. I have taken off my engine covers for extended periods of time and noticed no difference. Like Gernby said more of the air will travel over and around the intake. With the cover, the air is forced directly into the intake.

Old 09-15-07, 05:28 PM
chat0882
Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
that's where you keep your blow. Engine heat and fumes throw off the police dogs.

lmao Funny *****...
Old 09-17-07, 06:59 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Picture is fixed below. I have taken off my engine covers for extended periods of time and noticed no difference. Like Gernby said more of the air will travel over and around the intake. With the cover, the air is forced directly into the intake.

wouldnt this also keep the warmer air souronding the engine from entering the intake?

Originally Posted by mort
I have noticed in the summer months when I wear sandals, that the weight reduction from no socks, has dramatically improved the performance of my IS….almost scary fast now, just like the TV ad says. My girlfriend insists on not driving with me unless I wear socks, as just a bit to fast for her. Since I refuse to wear socks with sandals, I have suggested to her just no sock but in Snow mode…..see what happens. Hope we can resolve this, as it is becoming a real issue in our relationship.
HMMMM...no one said they are doing for the weight reduction....
Old 09-17-07, 01:51 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nehal51086
HMMMM...no one said they are doing for the weight reduction....
Reductio ad absurdum
Old 09-17-07, 02:16 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nehal51086
wouldnt this also keep the warmer air souronding the engine from entering the intake?
No. With the covers on the area in front of the intake is sealed (See Gernby's hood pic) from the rest of the engine bay. This protects the intake better from the warmer air, especially when not moving.
Old 09-17-07, 02:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What a clever bunch of owners we have here on CL!!!!! They have actually figured out how to make the car make more power and run faster than the team of engineers Lexus PAYS to have hanging around the company making half hearted attempts to properly design the power system. I don't know why Lexus wastes this sort of money when it seems any so-called enthusiast can do it cheaper and better. It is hard to figure out why Toyota and Lexus are so successful with all the dunces they seem to have on staff.
Old 09-17-07, 05:13 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
What a clever bunch of owners we have here on CL!!!!! They have actually figured out how to make the car make more power and run faster than the team of engineers Lexus PAYS to have hanging around the company making half hearted attempts to properly design the power system. I don't know why Lexus wastes this sort of money when it seems any so-called enthusiast can do it cheaper and better. It is hard to figure out why Toyota and Lexus are so successful with all the dunces they seem to have on staff.
I'm not endorsing this mod, but your argument seems to indicate that no performance inspired mod could possibly better the OEM setup of our cars, and I think we all know that's just untrue.
Old 09-17-07, 07:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I'm not endorsing this mod, but your argument seems to indicate that no performance inspired mod could possibly better the OEM setup of our cars, and I think we all know that's just untrue.
Of course you can do performance mods that will help performane. But this thread is 4 pages of 'butt dyno' results. If removing the covers really improved performance let's see results 'before' and 'after'. Pictures with conjecture as to how air flow is improved doesn't mean a damn thing. Let's see some air flow studies to confirm this easily unleashed power.
Old 09-17-07, 07:39 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you can do performance mods that will help performane. But this thread is 4 pages of 'butt dyno' results. If removing the covers really improved performance let's see results 'before' and 'after'. Pictures with conjecture as to how air flow is improved doesn't mean a damn thing. Let's see some air flow studies to confirm this easily unleashed power.
I dunno, those red squiggly lines were pretty compelling.
Old 09-17-07, 08:48 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Lol that statement is completely uneducated on typical automotive design in the 2000’s. What you find out about *stock* cars (at least the 11 new cars I’ve owned) is that manufacturers limit many aspects of the car, specifically usually intake and exhaust. Hell, look at cars like the Subby Sti that can crank out tons of HP by simply raising turbo boost (via chip) that’s set at a lower boost from the factory. AKA why everyone and their sisters put on intakes and exhausts as some of their first mods. Lexus has notoriously done this on the IS350… specifically look at handling. The IS350 is a capable car yet Lexus has dumbed it down with baby sitter electronics. If Lexus was out to make a true performance machine they would have alerted the suspension in a way (probably easy for them to do) to induce overseer instead of under steer. AKA… companies like BMW make their cars *less* restrictive in things such as this.

Lexus engineers set the car up exactly as they wanted it… which can easily be modified to far exceed what they designed. Lexus designed the car so that people wouldn’t wreck it all the time and sue them.
Grandma and grandpa need not apply to own an IS-F because its going to be a more serious attempt hopefully by Lexus to put out a better performance machine stock. It’s not going to be comfy or quite. I can see it now, just like the Sti forums though... people will buy the Sti and then complain that the rides to rough and ask people what they can do to soften the car up.. oh good god. You take a corner to hard in that IS-F and grandma electronics probably aren’t going to stop that rear end from swinging... just how an automotive enthusiast wants it.

Last edited by y2ks2k; 09-17-07 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Took advice: Engine covers