IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Took advice: Engine covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 09:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Lol that statement is completely uneducated on typical automotive design in the 2000’s. What you find out about *stock* cars (at least the 11 new cars I’ve owned) is that manufacturers limit many aspects of the car, specifically usually intake and exhaust. Hell, look at cars like the Subby Sti that can crank out tons of HP by simply raising turbo boost (via chip) that’s set at a lower boost from the factory. AKA why ... blah blah blah... ramble ramble ramble...
LOL i didnt even get thru the 2nd paragraph... cuz i have no idea what your talking about...

Look for all you ppl looking for some sort of ram air effect, thats what your trying to get at right? EASY, just fabricate some type of oval housing to go over the intake vent, get that flexi hose thingy for clothes dryers (they're made for heat so under the hood it should be ok) and snake that hose down to the lower grill, fabricate another type of wide mouth opening to act as a scoop... simple.

Those squiggly lines are cool. NOW we have to look for monkeys in the trees/weirdos in paint reflection AND RED SQUIGGLY LINES in every pic here on the 2IS board
Old 09-17-07, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Lol that statement is completely uneducated on typical automotive design in the 2000’s. What you find out about *stock* cars (at least the 11 new cars I’ve owned) is that manufacturers limit many aspects of the car, specifically usually intake and exhaust. Hell, look at cars like the Subby Sti that can crank out tons of HP by simply raising turbo boost (via chip) that’s set at a lower boost from the factory. AKA why everyone and their sisters put on intakes and exhausts as some of their first mods. Lexus has notoriously done this on the IS350… specifically look at handling. The IS350 is a capable car yet Lexus has dumbed it down with baby sitter electronics. If Lexus was out to make a true performance machine they would have alerted the suspension in a way (probably easy for them to do) to induce overseer instead of under steer. AKA… companies like BMW make their cars *less* restrictive in things such as this.

Lexus engineers set the car up exactly as they wanted it… which can easily be modified to far exceed what they designed. Lexus designed the car so that people wouldn’t wreck it all the time and sue them.
Grandma and grandpa need not apply to own an IS-F because its going to be a more serious attempt hopefully by Lexus to put out a better performance machine stock. It’s not going to be comfy or quite. I can see it now, just like the Sti forums though... people will buy the Sti and then complain that the rides to rough and ask people what they can do to soften the car up.. oh good god. You take a corner to hard in that IS-F and grandma electronics probably aren’t going to stop that rear end from swinging... just how an automotive enthusiast wants it.
It is painfully clear you really don't understand Toyota engineering, nor do you understand basic chassis setup from a manufacturer's perspective. Your desires are not at the top of the manufacturer's design goals. The Feds come first. You come second. That's how it will be (and how it has been since the 60's after Ralph Nader's attack on the auto industry) and it isn't going to change in our lifetimes. The OEMs will ALWAYS default to understeer, even on the most exotic cars. It's a requirement to avoid lawsuits like the one Nader took up against GM with the Corvair. It will NEVER change and BMWs ALL understeer from the factory too.

Your supposition that intakes and exhausts will net you a significant gain is ill-founded. You get a small gain, and only at the cost of violating Federal noise requirements. It is impossible to get more from the design AND meet the manufacturer's requirements. If it were, they would have already given it to you.

Simply raising boost comes with a cost - service life and warranty survival both suffer when boost goes up. There is no escape from this. The OEMs design so the engine will deliver the rated power for 200k miles without major work. They do not "restrict" the designs, they have design goals, service life, and warranty requirements to meet.

I would suggest you are the one uneducated in modern automotive engineering.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-17-07 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 09:25 AM
whitnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey y2ks2k, I noticed that you use to own a 04 STi. Was there any big power difference between your STi and the IS350?
Old 09-19-07, 09:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Speaking of the engine covers....
I just bought a new set of the newer clips from Sewell.
The new design is much better than the old clips and picked up 4 HP.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-20-07 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 04:43 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Well after trying it for a few days w/out the front engine cover I dont notice any performance gains, I might even notice some performance loss. Acceleration in 2nd gear seems less... What I do notice is that the RPMs run lower than what it use to between 10 to 35 mph... it now upshifts sooner and I want to say is smoother, maybe acceleration isnt less its smoother? Not sure. Before how ever light I am on the throttle it will not upshift into 6th until at least a 40 mph now it will upshift into 6th at 38mph. Cruising between 75 to 80 the MPG consumption is about the same. I dont see a significant change.
Old 09-19-07, 10:46 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by whitnut
Hey y2ks2k, I noticed that you use to own a 04 STi. Was there any big power difference between your STi and the IS350?
IS350 can’t touch it in any possible way at any speed. The Sti is scary fast those few times you really pull the trigger. I spent a lot of time AutoXing my Sti and it was pretty damn fun. Taking slaloms was like an arm work out. The S2000 in the slaloms was like a warm knife through butter. IS350... Who knows... I probably wont ever autoX or track it.
Old 09-19-07, 11:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IS350 can’t touch it in any possible way at any speed.
LOL course it can't, but at the same time, the STI cant touch the is350 at taking 4 ppl on a long road trip in comfort at sustained high speeds. Apples n Oranges here.
Old 09-20-07, 06:31 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think STI's were all that fast in a straight line from a roll. Even with a launch, I thought they were in the 13's for the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-20-07, 06:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Edmunds says 5.4 seconds 0-60 for an 07 STI... which is about the same as an IS350... they don't list 1/4 mile, but the times I've seen elsewhere is also simialr to the stock IS350.

Course with an STI you can crank the boost up... but stock for stock the STI certainly doesn't blow the doors off an IS350.
Old 09-20-07, 08:25 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Edmunds says 5.4 seconds 0-60 for an 07 STI... which is about the same as an IS350... they don't list 1/4 mile, but the times I've seen elsewhere is also simialr to the stock IS350.

Course with an STI you can crank the boost up... but stock for stock the STI certainly doesn't blow the doors off an IS350.
Edmunds is ****ered on that. The Sti easily pulls 4 second 0-60's and stock time slips of 12.9 seconds.

Dont magazine race, especially with Edmunds data.
Old 09-20-07, 08:35 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
LOL course it can't, but at the same time, the STI cant touch the is350 at taking 4 ppl on a long road trip in comfort at sustained high speeds. Apples n Oranges here.
I used my Sti as much as I use my IS350 to move my 2 kids around and I disagree. The Sti has enough leg room that I at one time stuffed a 10" sub on the floor behind the passenger seat. The IS350 (at least "sport" model) is amazingly jarring on the road. Maybe not quite as much so as an Sti but not to far off. The Sti is actually a pretty easy going normal driving car. I used the Sti when I supported an office in another city about 95 miles one way (190 total in a day) from my office and did that trip every few weeks and didn’t find the Sti any more uncomfortable then my IS350. Don’t mistake the Sti for the Evo which is a hell of a lot harsher.

for example, if I stop at Starbucks, I can drink a cofee in my IS350 just as easy as I could my sti.
Old 09-20-07, 09:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edmunds is ****ered on that. The Sti easily pulls 4 second 0-60's and stock time slips of 12.9 seconds.

Those numbers are heavily dependant on the STI's awesome launch potential due to AWD. From a roll, I think a stock 350 could easily hang with (or even beat) a stock STI. BTW, there are a lot of stock 350's pulling low 13's in the 1/4.
Old 09-20-07, 10:08 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by Gernby
Those numbers are heavily dependant on the STI's awesome launch potential due to AWD. From a roll, I think a stock 350 could easily hang with (or even beat) a stock STI. BTW, there are a lot of stock 350's pulling low 13's in the 1/4.
Not the case though. The Sti isn’t a Honda with no toque like say my old S2000 that would accelerate like an Average Honda at speed. The Sti has 300 torque at a reasonably low RPM with little turbo lag and weighs 300+ pounds less than an IS350. It would be closer at speed then off the line, hell maybe even strait up even… in that case it is even in the realm of the driver. But were also talking perfect conditions. The Sti would dominate in anything other than dry pavement and throw in a corner and the games over.
Old 09-20-07, 10:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How bout Road and Track? When they did their STI vs. EVO story they got 13.3 in the 1/4 mile out of the STi...

How bout Car and Driver? They got 13.4 out of the STi...

I'm sure you can get a sub 5 0-60 if you rev the crap out of it and dump the clutch, but clutches ain't cheap...

I'm not knocking the STI, for the type of car it is it offers very nice performance... I'm just saying I don't think it's quite the non-race as you seem to think it is with an IS350.
Old 09-20-07, 10:36 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by Kurtz
How bout Road and Track? When they did their STI vs. EVO story they got 13.3 in the 1/4 mile out of the STi...

How bout Car and Driver? They got 13.4 out of the STi...

I'm sure you can get a sub 5 0-60 if you rev the crap out of it and dump the clutch, but clutches ain't cheap...

I'm not knocking the STI, for the type of car it is it offers very nice performance... I'm just saying I don't think it's quite the non-race as you seem to think it is with an IS350.
You can quote all of the car magazine times that you want. Go hit up Sti forums, lots of *real* time slips posted for your viewing pleasure with 12.9 times. It actually pretty common. It’s no different than telling me XX magazine says the IS350 pulls at 15.0 second quarter. I’m absolutely sure people have gotten lower 13 second times in an IS350 revving the crap out of it. I'll reference time slips here where people have pulled 13.5's stock with pictures. I’m always doing that on different forums when IS haters say "but XX magazine pulled a 15.0 second quarter on an IS350 so you suxors".

Works both ways now doesn’t it.

But you know I have an IS350 right? I absolutely love it and always stick up for it but really, don’t put the Sti up against an IS350 in a performance test of any kind, it would pretty much fail at each and every spec so don’t, it’s crazy talk.

Quick Reply: Took advice: Engine covers