IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Took advice: Engine covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 12:31 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
You can quote all of the car magazine times that you want. Go hit up Sti forums, lots of *real* time slips posted for your viewing pleasure with 12.9 times. It actually pretty common. It’s no different than telling me XX magazine says the IS350 pulls at 15.0 second quarter. I’m absolutely sure people have gotten lower 13 second times in an IS350 revving the crap out of it. I'll reference time slips here where people have pulled 13.5's stock with pictures. I’m always doing that on different forums when IS haters say "but XX magazine pulled a 15.0 second quarter on an IS350 so you suxors".

Works both ways now doesn’t it.

But you know I have an IS350 right? I absolutely love it and always stick up for it but really, don’t put the Sti up against an IS350 in a performance test of any kind, it would pretty much fail at each and every spec so don’t, it’s crazy talk.
IMO, there is nothing mature about an STi or an Evo. The large wings combined with the fact that they are driven by boyracer 16-22 year olds gives it that label. The STi/Evo are sports cars. Nothing else to it.

There will always be a car faster. The IS is far from a total sports car. However, it has a good balance between luxury and sport, while maintaining a refined image.
Old 09-20-07, 12:34 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

How did this thread go from engine covers to STI/EVO vs IS350???

edit... NM.. I see how the topic got turned around. Thanks whitnut.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-20-07 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 12:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive

I guess that's what PM's are for...

At least this thread is about something legitimate now...
Old 09-20-07, 12:52 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Personally I pull the engine covers when I'm at the track. The next time I go I'll try it with the front cover on and off and see if there is any difference, which I highly doubt.
Old 09-20-07, 01:21 PM
ngogsr
Driver

all in your mind haha
Old 09-20-07, 01:33 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I didn't think STI's were all that fast in a straight line from a roll. Even with a launch, I thought they were in the 13's for the 1/4 mile.
I have driven an STI and WRX between those two you can tell a pretty big difference.....

But between the STI and my IS350... Meh.. But thats a totally different car. I have run a WRX with a stage 2 set up and killed it. All that money he put in to only run mid 13s which we do stock, or I do stock anyways.

Oh well.. Taking off the engine covers seems silly to me. If they made the engine too hot I'm pretty sure the engineers would have thought of a different design. Some of you guys kill me with wanting the IS to be some sort of hot rod. If you wanted a car like that you should have bought something with bigger displacement. I'll never think of Lexus as anything but a nice cruiser -- sorry, don't care what they do to the IS-F I firmly believe that it will ALWAYS be luxory over sport when it comes to this brand.. And truthfully I'm happy for that. The IS is sportier than their other cars and thats good enough for me and probably the rest of AVERAGE IS buyers.

However if there are ANY performance increases it would probably be during the summer months. So a test should be done Summer vs Winter months to see if that *added* air flow helps performance.
Old 09-20-07, 01:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I have driven an STI and WRX between those two you can tell a pretty big difference.....

But between the STI and my IS350... Meh.. But thats a totally different car. I have run a WRX with a stage 2 set up and killed it. All that money he put in to only run mid 13s which we do stock, or I do stock anyways.

Oh well.. Taking off the engine covers seems silly to me. If they made the engine too hot I'm pretty sure the engineers would have thought of a different design. Some of you guys kill me with wanting the IS to be some sort of hot rod. If you wanted a car like that you should have bought something with bigger displacement. I'll never think of Lexus as anything but a nice cruiser -- sorry, don't care what they do to the IS-F I firmly believe that it will ALWAYS be luxory over sport when it comes to this brand.. And truthfully I'm happy for that. The IS is sportier than their other cars and thats good enough for me and probably the rest of AVERAGE IS buyers.

However if there are ANY performance increases it would probably be during the summer months. So a test should be done Summer vs Winter months to see if that *added* air flow helps performance.

great post...
Old 09-20-07, 02:13 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_Mine

+1. Just look at the numbers of 250 vs 350. It's pretty obviously that the AVERAGE IS buyer is much more interested in Lexus luxury than performance.
Old 09-20-07, 02:44 PM
whitnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive

Hahaa, I'm sorry! I was just curious...this is interesting though