IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blacked out Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 11:27 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blacked out Emblems

Has any one done this on their IS? in the picture it appears to be painted black. I love how the color is continuous from the body to the chrome (black now) part round the girll when the light shines on it.
Is there any drawbacks to painting? such as it peeling off cause i knwo its not always easy to paint over chrome.
Any one have any idea how much it costs too for both the emblem and chrome part round the grill to be painted in a shop? \
should be cheaper than buynig the emblems in black pearl and it looks better
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out Emblems-wald-2.jpg  
Old 09-12-07, 11:40 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually going to do this to my IS 250 but i am also torn whether to buy the new set or to just paint them. The problem is finding that good paint.
Old 09-12-07, 11:59 PM
MPstyle
Driver

I first bought the black pearl from Sewell and honestly they were crap. Not very dark, peeled, etc.

I then had my badges black chromed and the grille bezel black chromed by LMS. They came out very dark and IMO are a necessary contrast from all the rest of the black.

Paint generally will peel especially when you get pitting, but a clear bra will help that.

Black chrome I think is much more elegant.

Don't know if this is legal, (sorry moderator)... But I am acutally selling a full set of OEM new chrome badges and grille as well as a black chrome grille with a clear bra installed. It is going on ebay by end of week but pm me if interested. I am NOT posting on CL.
Old 09-13-07, 01:02 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

got any pics of the black chrome grill and emblem?
Old 09-13-07, 05:53 AM
revitupwio
Driver

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this to the front & back (except for the L emblems) emblems. The only chrome I'm going to leave on the car is the L emblems on front & back & the trim around the windows.

I don't know what I'm going to use to paint the front, but there's a thread that shows a RC car paint you can use on the back just fine - just don't know if it can hold up to the rigors of being on the front.

I'm also planning on powder-coating the wheels black, fwiw.
Old 09-13-07, 11:24 AM
Swisha
Pole Position

i painted the grill on my bmw with krylon paint you find at the auto store. Worked great and no peeling.
Old 09-13-07, 02:48 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have black pearl emblems straight from factory on my is250 no trouble at all installing em and they have been on my car with no problems since beginning of 06 also they basically look gunmetal....my emblems costed me about 90 bucks front and back L's only i didnt want the is250 and lexus one. in my opinion on a black car like the pic u have and its what i have it looks nice. you can order from a dealership for the right ones i believe but it may cost a little more since dealerships of course love to mark up stuff.
Old 09-13-07, 04:03 PM
revitupwio
Driver

how difficult is it to remove that little grill part to paint it?
Old 09-13-07, 04:26 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

the grill is simple to remove if u have a basic knowledge of tools a lot of the bolts are in view for you to just unscrew.
Old 09-13-07, 09:43 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol... has no one noticed that this looks like the wald front lip.

Or is it the Blitz front lip.

It looks like WALD to me...
Old 09-13-07, 10:44 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

it is the walds kit.
Old 09-13-07, 10:52 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
i have black pearl emblems straight from factory on my is250 no trouble at all installing em and they have been on my car with no problems since beginning of 06 also they basically look gunmetal....my emblems costed me about 90 bucks front and back L's only i didnt want the is250 and lexus one. in my opinion on a black car like the pic u have and its what i have it looks nice. you can order from a dealership for the right ones i believe but it may cost a little more since dealerships of course love to mark up stuff.

...and would anyone else recommend some sort of easy-to-obtain spray-on black paint to use on this? Something that would stick to the chrome, and something that would be able to handle bugs, etc. slamming into it, the Texas sun shining on it, and plenty of washing?

or is lexy the only one?
Old 09-14-07, 12:36 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

yea same, im gonna look into this krylon paint thanks Swisha, yo can u psot pics of ur bimmer? the main reason i dont want that black chrome gunmetal color is cause it wont look as nice, the painted black on looks sick, when the light shines on the car, the color is conintous, with a gunmetal chrome it sticks out more due to the diff. i really want ti to be like the wald pic above.
Old 09-14-07, 05:28 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you prep the chrome properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you sand down the chrome so there is no more shine left and it's scuffed sufficiently. Also, use a clear coat afterwards.
Old 09-14-07, 03:50 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by MrMark
If you prep the chrome properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you sand down the chrome so there is no more shine left and it's scuffed sufficiently. Also, use a clear coat afterwards.
what kind of clear coat? can you get it in a bottle? I plan on dropping by a place with spray paint to see what there is to see - I have plenty of research to do before I'm comfortable spray-painting a $40K car.

Quick Reply: Blacked out Emblems