IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

my IS with a bra *Pics*.. (Welcome 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 09:13 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would rather replace my clear bra, then have to repaint. Aftermarket paint jobs are usually never as good as factory, unless you spend huge $$$$
Old 09-14-07, 11:43 AM
maxnix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
I did not want a clear bra because I did not want a semi-permanent solution on my car. I use the bra as a temporary solution for long road trips. It costs considerably less ($140 vs. $500+) than a clear bra, I dont have to maintain it, as soon as my trip is over... off it comes, and I won't have to replace it in a few years when it starts to peel, yellow, or discolor my paint. Plus it's a lot easier for rocks to take a chunk out of a clear bra than it is a vinyl bra.

Not everyone sees a clear bra as a solution to rock chips, especially larger ones. And again, almost everyone here who uses a regular "1980s" bra uses it for a road trip and off it comes.
Three things.

One is, most rock chips happen in normal driving.

Two, when it rains with the vinyl bra on or even gets dusty, the bra will grind dirt into the paint where it touches the car.

Three, clear bras are always protecting the paint. Never seen one yellow, nor a properly applied one peel.
Old 09-14-07, 12:03 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maxnix
Three things.

One is, most rock chips happen in normal driving.

Two, when it rains with the vinyl bra on or even gets dusty, the bra will grind dirt into the paint where it touches the car.

Three, clear bras are always protecting the paint. Never seen one yellow, nor a properly applied one peel.
1)Well of course most rock chips occur during normal driving. 95% of my driving is normal so the odds are skewed.

2)That's why I dont have it on all the time. If it were to rain on my road trip then I would take the bra off before the water had a chance to dry. The bra comes off as soon as the road trip is over. Plus I always lay down a layer of 3M Painters tape underneath for added protection

3)A search on here would provide plenty of instances where a clear bra started peeling, got scratched or was damaged by a rock and needed to be replaced. Why spend $500+ for a Clear bra when it has a chance of getting damaged and needing replacement? That could potentially be $1000+ for a clear bra. At that point I can have my front end replaced if the chips got bad enough.
Old 09-14-07, 12:09 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

different strokes for different folks. I got the bra for long road trip and if you don't like it then don't buy it.
Old 09-14-07, 12:34 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

great functionality at the price of looking like an unpainted body kit. I'd use it for long trips only.

I'd probably buy one too myself
Old 09-14-07, 01:09 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont think its a bad idea even for those folks with the clear bra....to use the vinyl one on trips...

yes the majority of the rock chips may come from normal driving....but lets say u drive 50 miles a day with a mix of city and highway driving....and u take a road trip where u drive about 500 miles in a day where majority is on the highway...the chance of u getting hit by rocks is higher for that 500 mile trip...