IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07 | 01:16 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...lol paddle shifters... gl with that guys... ive tried shifting the first gear with paddles and i cant get it down... too slow of a reaction time...let me know how you guys do would really appreciate the info..

Last edited by i3urton; 11-08-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-08-07 | 01:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the accelleration plot above assumes shifting at the rev limitter, and you can see there is still a significant drop off of thrust at each shift. It would be nice if someone would figure out how to hack this damn ECU to give us a better rev limit and shift point!!!
Old 11-08-07 | 01:38 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
BTW, the accelleration plot above assumes shifting at the rev limitter, and you can see there is still a significant drop off of thrust at each shift. It would be nice if someone would figure out how to hack this damn ECU to give us a better rev limit and shift point!!!
Time to send a cute mole into the Toyota Research and Development Center.
Old 11-08-07 | 02:16 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Time to send a cute mole into the Toyota Research and Development Center.
Yep, but one with low self esteem ...

Last edited by Gernby; 11-08-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-08-07 | 02:18 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gernby I was keeping my mouth shut while you were talking about how ect was better. haha Little did you know I was preaching for weeks to caymandive to try it at his event. I talked him into doing it last week and he ran the fastest times ever.

If recall from our time at ennis last feb. I said "you know what's funny?? my fastest run i forgot to put the ect buttom". Well I started just leaving it off and noticed I always had better and better times.

hahah a few days ago when you posted your comment about ect power should be better, i asked caymandive "should I let him in on what we've been doing to hit our times "
Old 11-08-07 | 02:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
Gernby I was keeping my mouth shut while you were talking about how ect was better. haha Little did you know I was preaching for weeks to caymandive to try it at his event. I talked him into doing it last week and he ran the fastest times ever.

If recall from our time at ennis last feb. I said "you know what's funny?? my fastest run i forgot to put the ect buttom". Well I started just leaving it off and noticed I always had better and better times.

hahah a few days ago when you posted your comment about ect power should be better, i asked caymandive "should I let him in on what we've been doing to hit our times "

What a bastage! I wouldn't call what you said on the previous page "keeping your mouth shut". That's straight up counter intelligence! Where's your sense of community?!

Originally Posted by combfilter
At WOT your car is going to shift at the same point regardless of ect on or off.
Old 11-08-07 | 02:35 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, how much time have you noticed it shaving off your times?
Old 11-08-07 | 02:37 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i wonder what times gernby will hit if he leave his ect in normal mode??
Old 11-08-07 | 02:52 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a bastage! I wouldn't call what you said on the previous page "keeping your mouth shut". That's straight up counter intelligence! Where's your sense of community?!

hahah, i meant keeping my mouth shut not to contradict what you were saying about ect power being better. I don't want to make people that I like and know on this forum appear to be wrong would I??

I talk to caymandive every day via IM. I had told him to give it a shot because in my mind my car always ran .1x faster with it off than on. I talked him into trying it because i knew he was going out this last weekend for an all day event.

You said you "see no point in ever returning to the dragstrip" so it wouldn't matter to you anyways. furthermore, My theory wasn't proven until caymandive had returned from the track this weekend.

I still say it shouldn't matter having that button on or off, but after doing some test (that were AGAINST what everyone else was claiming) I started to think "hmmm i wonder why i am always .1x faster with that button off".

sense of community ..hahah I have shared everything I have ever done to my car with this community. I also have stated in EVERY race thread recently that "i do not use ect" button.
Old 11-08-07 | 03:26 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Wow, this is awesome - I had no idea that the car would get higher RPM with normal mode. That means, for the last TWO YEARS I've been driving my car at a mode that is SLOWER and less fuel efficient! LOL. That's it, if it doesn't rain this Sunday, I'm definitely gonna do some tests - 5 runs w/o ECT power and 5 runs with ECT power. If time allows, then I'll do 5 more runs with the faster of the two and lower tire pressure. Phew, I wonder if I'll even get a chance to video with 15 runs!!
Old 11-08-07 | 03:46 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Wow, this is awesome - I had no idea that the car would get higher RPM with normal mode. That means, for the last TWO YEARS I've been driving my car at a mode that is SLOWER and less fuel efficient! LOL. That's it, if it doesn't rain this Sunday, I'm definitely gonna do some tests - 5 runs w/o ECT power and 5 runs with ECT power. If time allows, then I'll do 5 more runs with the faster of the two and lower tire pressure. Phew, I wonder if I'll even get a chance to video with 15 runs!!
If you do get a chance to do 5 runs in each mode, please alternate back and forth instead of doing 5 in one mode, then 5 in the other. That would be the only way that we could really establish the average difference between them. Otherwise, we would have to look at the change in climate throughout the day.
Old 11-08-07 | 03:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, I did 4 more snapshots on the way home using the paddles, and it is definitely tricky to get it right. For bracket racing, there's no frickin' way that you could be consistent enough with the paddles, but I'm convinced that your "personal best" would be beaten using them enough times to get a perfect run. I was able to hit 6730 RPMs in 1st gear with the paddles without fuel cut, which is almost 200 RPMs higher than full auto "Normal" mode would allow. However, I hit the paddle when the tachometer hit about 5.9K. That's just crap that it takes 800 RPMs worth of time to shift...
Old 11-08-07 | 04:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just came up with a plan to fix this shifting problem with my piggy back ECU! Since the ECU already knows the RPM, current gear, and throttle position, I just need to connect an output to the OEM ECU's paddle input to tell it to up-shift at 59XX RPMs when in 1st gear, 63XX RPMs when in 2nd gear, etc.

If I can motivate myself to do this by February, I imagine I'll be WELL into the 12's with another 350 RPMs in 1st gear, and 220 RPMs in 2nd and 3rd gear!

Note to self ... pray that the paddle shifters are connected to the ECU via a simple wire, and not some sort of F-ed up protocol...
Old 11-08-07 | 05:17 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

If you do get a chance to do 5 runs in each mode, please alternate back and forth instead of doing 5 in one mode, then 5 in the other. That would be the only way that we could really establish the average difference between them. Otherwise, we would have to look at the change in climate throughout the day.
You have a good point Gernby - I'll alternate my runs. I'll post all timeslips and explanations too.
Old 11-08-07 | 06:06 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
ToothDoc, where do you do your runs?

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!