IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 07:23 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
BTW, the rev limiter doesn't kick in until over 6700 RPMs, so there would be some benefit to using the paddles if you got it perfect, especially in 1st gear where it only hits 6388 in PWR mode, and 6544 in Normal mode. Basically, I was shifting 322 RPMs early in 1st gear, and 190 RPMs early in 2nd and 3rd gear when I did my 13.094! That alone might put some of us in the 12's!
Thanks for the graphs showing us how it holds the shifts longer in normal mode. At least you where being strait with us about your findings. Not like other members here... Gernby is top dog. No wonder he has the fastest time.

Perhaps I`m being over simplistic here but I always though the best shift point would be a peak HP. Which for us is at 6400rpm. Seems to be closer to what PWR mode shifts. Lexus put a PWR mode so we can have faster shift points but lower performance? Doesn't make sense, there is something else going on here.
Old 11-08-07, 07:35 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
ToothDoc, where do you do your runs?
I go to Great Lakes Dragaway - it's up in Wisconsin about 10 miles north of the border off I94. From my house, it only takes 35 minute or so. Last weekend, I was there early (10:00 am) so I was able to get a lot of runs in a short period of time - actually, I was the first one to stage! Wanna go this Sunday if it doesn't rain?
Old 11-08-07, 07:38 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Thanks for the graphs showing us how it holds the shifts longer in normal mode. At least you where being strait with us about your findings. Not like other members here... Gernby is top dog. No wonder he has the fastest time.

Perhaps I`m being over simplistic here but I always though the best shift point would be a peak HP. Which for us is at 6400rpm. Seems to be closer to what PWR mode shifts. Lexus put a PWR mode so we can have faster shift points but lower performance? Doesn't make sense, there is something else going on here.
Who was not being straight and about what? If it was about the ECT-PWR button I clearly stated that it was off on my 13.2x runs this past week. Now that I think back I should have tried a run with the ECT-PWR on, but the car was running so good without it being on and since I was in a competition class I didn't want to test my luck.
Old 11-08-07, 07:50 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
What is this supposed to mean? Can you not read? Have you ever seen a thread that I somehow said I was not using ect. Should I find the links?

uh oh, what does this say from my 13.24 last week.. hmmm i can't read.
Originally Posted by combfilter
I don't use ect mode. The car will shift the same at full throttle regardless. seems like when i run with ect i get a lower trap speed. All 3 of my fastest times have been without it on.
Here's the link in case you can't read items in quotes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=9

you can also search for my name + drag and you will see where the 13.34 was me from last year and the thing i said was "what's funny is that I forgot to push ect mode and for some reason that was my fastest time".

if you read my reply to gernby above you can see that it was a theory up till caymandive did his runs after I talked to him on IM about my theory.

3 days later gernby posted in here that ect was more powerful. He knows his stuff, so I thought "maybe i am wrong", I teased with caymandive on IM "should we bust on gernby ect comment?" even at that point we werent sure if it was true.

So whatever you are trying to imply you are dead wrong.
Old 11-08-07, 07:51 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

The best shift point wouldn't be at peak HP. I would guess that in theory, the best shift point would be at the point where the horsepower equals each other after the peak and where the rpm is at after the shift. Confusing? ie: say at 7000 rpm, the HP is 285 and after it downshifts, the HP is still 285 but rpm is like 4500 rpm (these are all example numbers). So, in theory, the best shift point would actually be different for each gear shift unless the upshift has exactly the same %change in ratio from gear to gear. Just driving my car, I feel like if our cars could rev to 7000 rpm, we would definitely have a faster car as we would always be driving in a slighter higher power range.
Old 11-08-07, 08:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I may be getting my threads crossed, but Caymandive posted something about shift points earlier that does a pretty good job explaining where the optimum shift points are.

There are some people that think that the optimum shift point is wherever peak torque occurs (me too many moons ago), and there are some people that think the optimum shift point is wherever the peak power occurs (me too many moons ago minus one). Then theres the people that know stuff that realize that the optimum shift point is different for each gear because it is all about thrust to the ground, not thrust to the transmission.
Old 11-09-07, 06:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I may be getting my threads crossed, but Caymandive posted something about shift points earlier that does a pretty good job explaining where the optimum shift points are.

There are some people that think that the optimum shift point is wherever peak torque occurs (me too many moons ago), and there are some people that think the optimum shift point is wherever the peak power occurs (me too many moons ago minus one). Then theres the people that know stuff that realize that the optimum shift point is different for each gear because it is all about thrust to the ground, not thrust to the transmission.
Wow ... I really sounded like an *** in this one ... sorry if I offended anyone. I had just cashed my 12 pack of beer when I wrote it.
Old 11-09-07, 06:21 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow ... I really sounded like an *** in this one ... sorry if I offended anyone. I had just cashed my 12 pack of beer when I wrote it.
Gernby there is nothing in that statement that makes you sound like an ****. The only statement in this thread that sounds off key is what phatboyc said in post #61. Maybe he just cashed a keg before he wrote that one.

Back on topic, I think this thread has been very useful and I give you props for the analysis you've provided. Hope to see your piggy back ECU work with the paddle shifters. Great thinking!
Old 11-09-07, 08:28 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Has anyone tried putting the shifter in manual mode, but setting the gear to 6, and letting it shift automatically? I wonder what RPM it would shift at then...
Old 11-09-07, 09:59 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried putting the shifter in manual mode, but setting the gear to 6, and letting it shift automatically? I wonder what RPM it would shift at then...
Are you thinking out loud?? You're the one with the piggy back. I thought about that too, but figured it would just shift at "normal" range.
Old 11-09-07, 10:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
Are you thinking out loud?? You're the one with the piggy back. I thought about that too, but figured it would just shift at "normal" range.
I guess I kind of was thinking out loud since I'm at work.
Old 11-09-07, 04:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I tested the manual mode thing, and it still shifts at the same points.
Old 11-09-07, 05:48 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I go to Great Lakes Dragaway - it's up in Wisconsin about 10 miles north of the border off I94. From my house, it only takes 35 minute or so. Last weekend, I was there early (10:00 am) so I was able to get a lot of runs in a short period of time - actually, I was the first one to stage! Wanna go this Sunday if it doesn't rain?
Let's go. YGPM.
Old 11-09-07, 07:18 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I apologize combfilter and caymandive. I did not mean disrespect. Must be the 21 degree Fahrenheit mornings already settled in. Which means the car needs to stay in the garage for most of the winter. It's getting to me. Oh and a bad day at work + some Jägermeister. Not a good mix. p.s. That stuff is overrated for my taste.

Last edited by phatboyc; 11-09-07 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 07:45 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

About shift points, I should of done my homework before posting.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+points&page=4

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!