IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250, TL, or G35??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 11:50 AM
dukay26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250, TL, or G35??

Hey im new to the site and im getting my license in a month and debating whether to lease a is250, acura tl, or g35 sedan. (all 08's)...ive driven the tl but have yet to drive the is or g35. Im looking for the right combo between the luxury, bluetooth, etc... and the drive. Obviously im young and want speed but im not gonna be racing or anything. But ive heard that the IS isnt as sporty and fun as its competitors but i think its the nicest of them all. Anyone have any advice that can help me with my decision
Old 09-21-07, 11:54 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL and G35 aren't in the same class as the IS250 so that comparison is a bit skewed. The IS250 is a lot slower than those two so try comparing the IS350 with those two and the speed and power would be more or less evened out.

The IS250 goes better against a TSX.
Old 09-21-07, 11:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rfx45
TL and G35 aren't in the same class as the IS250 so that comparison is a bit skewed. The IS250 is a lot slower than those two so try comparing the IS350 with those two and the speed and power would be more or less evened out.

The IS250 goes better against a TSX.
IS 250 is in that class, it just has a smaller engine. TSX is a class below the IS, its FWD and an I-4.

The TL and G35 are very nicely done and equipped and you can easily tell they are faster cars. Its hard to ignore the additional power.

The IS, well its a Lexus, its in the details. Fuel economy is far superior. The IS is built like a tank and blends luxury and sport almost perfectly.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-21-07, 12:06 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

There is just a big power difference with the TL & G35 compared to the IS250.

I always found TSX = IS25 = A4 = C230/C300 = 328i as the direct competition with each other. price-wise, it's all pretty close to each other too with the IS250 having the edge with the most standard features.

With the TL or TL-S and especially the new G35 Sedan have a better chance against or in the same market as the IS350 and 335i. Price-wise, the IS350 is a bit higher but when you add options/features to the G35 and TL compareable to the IS350, the price is pretty close.
Old 09-21-07, 12:11 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Will you be driving the car in the winter if so then an AWD IS250 would be the first choice. If the weather is not a factor I would go with the G35 then the TL.
Old 09-21-07, 12:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

If you're compairing the 250, I'd go for the G35 first, then the TL, the 250 would be my last choice.
Old 09-21-07, 12:35 PM
iStyle
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
IS 250 is in that class, it just has a smaller engine. TSX is a class below the IS, its FWD and an I-4.

The TL and G35 are very nicely done and equipped and you can easily tell they are faster cars. Its hard to ignore the additional power.

The IS, well its a Lexus, its in the details. Fuel economy is far superior. The IS is built like a tank and blends luxury and sport almost perfectly.

Good luck with your choice.
I definitely wouldn't say the IS is built like a tank.
Old 09-21-07, 06:12 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

You might want to factor your would be car insurance premium. New driver w/ a powerful car? Give it a thought. And just like what every one is saying, the TL ang G35 have bigger engines than the 250.
Old 09-21-07, 07:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Drive all 3 cars and than make your choice.. We can all say what to get and what car does what but at the end of the day your behind the wheel.. Give us the scoop after you drive all 3 and than go from there.. GL..
Old 09-21-07, 07:28 PM
GNG
Rookie

Did you say you're just getting your license? You should get a Ford Focus! Holy cow, those are the 3 cars you are looking at? I have to go talk to my parents who made me buy my own car and I ended up with a Datsun B210. Of course, now you can tell that I am a bit older than you. :-)

BTW, my wife had a TSX and we hated it. Really strange feel to it, sort of like it never really wanted to get up and go. Transmission was all over the place, always downshifting for more power. Turning radius was horrible, always forcing a 3 point turn. Cheap feeling leather. I know some folks like it, but it's not even close to a Lexus.
Old 09-21-07, 07:29 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iStyle
I definitely wouldn't say the IS is built like a tank.
Same here. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but it is very japanese. Germans are much better at building tanks.....too bad they can't get them to be reliable.

Lexus has a huge lead on other japanese brands as far as build quality, but they still have some work to do before they get where I want them to be.

My last car, 06 330, was bank vault solid from day one until I sold it and showed no signs of slowing down. I just couldn't keep the damn thing on the road. The compromise between reliability and 'japanese' feeling on the Lexus made the decision an easy one.

P.S. To the OP, the G reminds me of a cheap Nissan in a number of different ways.
Old 09-21-07, 08:45 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

test drive everything
Old 09-21-07, 08:50 PM
RED_IS250
Rookie

I think they're all in the same class being luxury car. However, the detail is different with the G = sport, TL = FWD Full Luxury, IS = Luxury Sedan.

I have both the G35 and the IS250 and like both of them.

The IS250 looks really nice and very fuel efficient. However, engine wise, it's lacking the power. But regardless, it's a very nice car to drive around and decently quick. I see it as a small young generation luxury class. With simple mods, you can make the car a nice clean looking car that catches the eyes of any generation (young or old)

G35 = Very fun car and lives to its name, sport luxury. Plus, you can make it looks outstandingly different and set it a world apart from ordinary G35. But it's very very expensive to play with.

TL = Has the classy luxury look with all the power packed and cheaper to mod compare to the G35. The downside to it is it's a FWD car. You can turn that car into a seriously nice looking classy car with very good power.
Old 09-21-07, 10:20 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an IS250, and have driven a G35 coupe. My parents were really close to getting the G35. The day they were deciding, we went back to the Infiniti dealer and I drove it, and then hopped back over to Lexus because we made up our mind.

I have driven both hard through some canyons, and can say that G35 was more fun to drive, but wasn't as comfortable as 250. It was my friend's that he got used, but still in great condition. Seats just weren't the greatest. G35 with same features as the 250 would have been more, and I really don't race that much, and think the extra hp would just be for kicks and showing off, and probably get me more tickets. 250 really has no back seat though, since I sit really far back.

250 though like others said is really a luxury sedan that just looks sick. I get more compliments than ppl with modded bimmers and such. Damn, what other car looks like it's going 80 mph when it's standing still.

As for the TL though...would never consider an Acura, unless it's the NSX, but then I might just go with the IS-F or LF-A.

Hope that helps, but just try sitting in the cars and see what features you really like. Not all navigation systems are the same, etc, though Lexus has probably one of the best navs you can get.
Old 09-21-07, 10:26 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNG
Did you say you're just getting your license? You should get a Ford Focus! .
Amen. Of course Ford doesn't sell the current generation in the U.S. only Mazda and Volvo do.

I always say drive them and decide. All the talk in the world can't make up for 15-20 minutes of seat time.

Quick Reply: IS 250, TL, or G35??