IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 06:53 AM
bimbels
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a problem?

So, Wed. I got my windows tinted. 35% all around.

Guy tells me not to roll the windows down for 3 days. Not to wash for 3 days.

So last night, despite my telling him not to do so, hubby rolls down the drivers side window.

Now, here's the problem. Yes, I think he messed up my tint. It has light streaks in in in places, so I've resolved that I'm probably going to have that window redone.

But the worrisome part is - after he rolled it down, it didn't want to GO BACK UP. It was dragging, like it was getting stuck, and then would go back down again on its own. We finally got it up by pushing the button for just a split second at a time, easing it up slowly.

Is this because of the tint? Or did this guy screw up my window? (he did not remove any panels - but the tint was done very well.) Or is this what happens if tint isn't "dry?"

I don't want to try to lower it again until tomorrow - when I'm sure the tint is ready. Meanwhile, I guess I'm worried.
Old 09-22-07, 07:04 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would wait until the end of the 3rd day and then wash the window with a cleaner that lists it as being safe for tinted windows and then give it a try and see what happens.
Old 09-22-07, 07:07 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

don't even worry about it, I usually dont' really wait until 3 days to roll down the windows. By the 2nd day I already started to roll my windows by mistake and I never had any problems with any tints on any car I've owned.
Old 09-22-07, 07:13 AM
bimbels
Rookie

But the window wouldn't go back up - that's what I'm worried about. I don't care about the tint - I can get that redone. But if this dude F-ed up my window....

l1tech, thanks, I guess that's what i"ll do. Today is technically the end of the 3rd day. I'll give it a try later on.
Old 09-22-07, 07:28 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh then the tint wasn't done right, they cut it too short and it got stuck. Wait until the third day and bring it back there, demand them to fix it for you. I never had that problem.
Old 09-22-07, 07:40 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First, whack hubby alongside the dead for doing what you told him not to!!

Second, there is a wiper that sometimes gets displaced during the tint process which can cause the problems you describe. There are threads about this issue. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=WINDOW+TINT It will also tend to scratch the tint. Take it back to the tint guy and make sure everything is done right.

After your tint is fixed I would use Plexus on the tint. It's a cleaner lubricant which does not leave a residue of any kind but will make the tint smoother and will help aleviate any problems in the future. I use it every couple of months. It was designed for the aircraft industry which uses a lot of plastics (windows and such) but it's great for all plastics. Miracle product imo.

Third, repeat Item One.

Last edited by Evitzee; 09-22-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 07:52 AM
bimbels
Rookie

Aw ****.

Evitzee thanks for posting that link. I'll print the thread and take it to this tint guy.

I just tried my other windows. The front 2 are worse - but all are tight. I can't get the passenger window up at all. GREAT.
Old 09-22-07, 07:57 AM
SweetIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by bimbels
Aw ****.

Evitzee thanks for posting that link. I'll print the thread and take it to this tint guy.

I just tried my other windows. The front 2 are worse - but all are tight. I can't get the passenger window up at all. GREAT.
And dont forget to follow steps one and two.....

Last edited by SweetIS350; 09-22-07 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 08:05 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I think the shop had tucked in your inner belt moldings. Doing so will cause the molding to "wedge" into the glass when rolling up. Your best option would be to roll your windows down, carefully try to widen the door upper half and get a flash light to look into the moldings. If your belt molding is indeed flip upside down you will need to flip it back up. The molding is soft and so you will need to use a soft, wide and slim object w/o any shapr corners like the trim tool or a shoe horn (although its curved, you might be adle to flatten it using a hair drier or microwave)

This molding is felt padded on the side touching the window. The other side is rubber and when the molding is flipped the rubber has more friction. The reason why your windows won't roll up normally is from the jamb/pinch protection. If you hold your switch in the up-auto position it will take it up (hopefully).

Yeah, I think the guy who did your windows should've known better but most tint guys are HS dropouts so I can't expect too much common sense from them. I don't think your hubby did anything wrong.

If you wait too long the molding will deform and will require replacement which requires removal of the door panels. Then again, if you're unable to flip the molding up you will need to remove the door panels anyways.

-Joe
Old 09-22-07, 11:24 AM
italiandud
Lead Lap

At the place that i got my windows tinted, they said not to roll them down for 24 hours. Of course i accidently rolled down my passenger window to talk to my friend that was driving aside me. I rolled it back up and luckly absolutely nothing went wrong with it.
Old 09-22-07, 11:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

nothing to worry about...just take it back and re-do the messed up window....
Old 09-22-07, 07:49 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

I looked up Plexus on google and got their website. They do not list any dealers and they only sell it by the case.

Has anyone been able to purchase a single can of this stuff?
Old 09-22-07, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,422 Posts

^^ many fish stores carry Plexus for polishing polycarbonate fish tanks.

Here's a car care place too. Google is your friend...
Old 09-22-07, 08:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by echrist0
I looked up Plexus on google and got their website. They do not list any dealers and they only sell it by the case.

Has anyone been able to purchase a single can of this stuff?
Go to ANY motorcycle dealer and it will be on the shelf, usually in two different sizes. It is a staple in the bike industry since there is so much plastic on today's bikes. Big can is about $8 and will last a long, long time.
Old 09-23-07, 05:52 AM
bimbels
Rookie

Hey Guys...

well we tried un-wedging the wipers with a credit card. We we mostly successful - but not 100% and I'm not gonna take my panels off. (Neither hubby nor I know jack about cars. Big mistake waiting to happen.) According to the link you posted, Evitzee, it looks like there are 2 sets of wipers anyway so we're probably only getting the one on the top.

We did get the windows up, though, so that's good.

Tint guy apparently isn't in the shop this weekend. i'm going to call him first thing Monday morning. The front 2 windows will need to be redone.

should I tell this dude to take my panels off first? I'm hesitant because its a new car and I don't want to end up with rattles. But I'm afraid it might be the only way. Frankly i'm hesitant to keep rolling them down and un-wedging the wipers because I''m afraid I'll damage them and getting the window back up is a bit@h.

Quick Reply: Is this a problem?