IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I've ordered my first new car last week

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 07:43 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've ordered my first new car last week

After having the opportunity to drive several cars I needed a car to replace my aging Integra. Most people mane their cars after women. I didn't name the Integra since it put up (and still does) with more abuse from me than any woman would have been able to tolerate, it did so without breaking down and deep down within I hear it laughing at me saying "Is that all you 've got, whimp?" . For 350,000 miles this car had never been on a tow truck and it saw 9K on its tach everyday. It got taken to the track and the strip and won several trophies for our performance and drove home without any trouble.

Needless to say, I needed a car that would have the same level of performance like it or more. But performance aside I need a few luxury amenities and I need a firm suspension, superior brakes, traction control, smart entry, navigation, a good sound system, power sunroof/windows/locks, HID, and not to mention look a little inconspicuous (sp?).

I also got tired of having 2 cars as projects. The integra is heavily modified, engine,trans,EMS, brakes, suspension,ect. The Supra will be going thru a lot of makeover over the weekends and summer of 08 and I just need a car I can drive and enjoy of DD while the serious work gets focused onto the MKIV. Time is what is getting precious for me.

So after thinking for a while (I take my time when investing in a 5+ figure purchase) I decided on ordering an 08 Obsidian/Sterling silver Sport package with Mark Levinson Audio and Navigation, Radar cruise and precollision system, and Park assist. I believe the only factory option I left out was the bumper sprinkler while looks rather ugly and should've been redesigned like the GS is since the IS did come after the GS.

My new car manager did mention the car arriving on January but if the VIN appears gets allocated in December and Lexus does have an incentive sale promotion for the IS350 then I might be able to get a break. Slim chance since Lexus doesn't offer a deal on hot sellers like the IS350 and all the ones that come off the truck are sold/awaiting units.

And yes, this is actually my first new car. Up until now I've always invested in cars at least 8 years old where the resale value was significantly lowered. But an incentive led me to get this car.

I hope it can put up with the abuse I gave to the Integra so I won't have to name it after a woman.

I opted out the IS-F since the car will be heavier and the body looks horrible. The IS350 looks like it has Lexus finnesse. Besides the IS-F isn't inconspicious and every Junk-stang and chevro-vette will be a rash on my hemoid (figuratively speaking)

Now the 4 month wait is going to be a loooooog wait.

-Joe
Old 09-22-07, 08:54 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

The IS-F is a bit over the top, though the more recent pictures are better. Still, the tail pipes and some of the body work screams cheap civic body kit to me.

Nice choice on the 350.
Old 09-22-07, 09:03 AM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Congradulations on the 350, although mine does have "grabby" brakes, but I think there is a TSIB for it so I'm gonna take it in. Other than that there are ZERO problems with the IS, im sure you will be pretty happy with your choice.
Old 09-22-07, 09:24 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Very nice, Congratulations and welcome... You will love the Lexus family
Old 09-22-07, 12:41 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

First of all Congrats on the new purchase.. I couldn't believe all those miles on the integra... Whay not get the type S? YOu know the reliability of Acura already.. Great choice nonetheless on the IS350..
Old 09-22-07, 01:41 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

CONGRATS!!!! POST THE PICS OF UR CURRENT CARS MAN!!!! I wanna see ur projects!!!!!
Old 09-22-07, 02:44 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350owner
Congradulations on the 350, although mine does have "grabby" brakes, but I think there is a TSIB for it so I'm gonna take it in. Other than that there are ZERO problems with the IS, im sure you will be pretty happy with your choice.
I noticed the grabby brakes on the cars with the Advics calipers when the pads are worn. This generally happens when the brakes are down to about 5mm remaining. If you resurface or replace your front brake rotors and brake pads and shims you will elliminate your brake "grabbing".

The TSIB for the brakes is for the IS250 and the IS350. There are 2 different TSIB for the IS250. One for the squeak and the other for excessive brake dust. Needless to say they still off the regular brake pads so there are 3 different sets of front brakes for the IS250.

There is a TSIB for the IS350 as well. It is regarding the excessive brake dust as well. They do offer the regular brake pads as well. So the IS350 has two different sets of brake pads.

The thing I notice about the brakes on the IS250/350 are the rotors wearing. This is not uncommon on the european models rotors. The rotors seem to have quite a lot of wear on them. I believe this is a normal condition on such large rotors. The velocity of the rotor increases at the outer circumference. This is the area where the pad is travelling the fastest. The area close to the hub has a lot less velocity and the pad is travelling slower. Since the coefficient of friction is generally maintained consistently across the brake pads surface the rotor will wear where it has the most friction. This would be at the outer edge. So needless to say the rotor will have uneven wear and if you're to replace the pads the rotors will probably need to be resurfaced or (if their too thin) replacement.
Old 09-22-07, 02:57 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
First of all Congrats on the new purchase.. I couldn't believe all those miles on the integra... Whay not get the type S? YOu know the reliability of Acura already.. Great choice nonetheless on the IS350..
That was when Acura motor division still got all its models from Japan. One of my absolute requirements of a Japanese car is that it HAS to be made in Japan. No if or but about it.

The Type-S TL is made in America. It has had quality issues and I've dealt with several customers with problems with them. The 04 and newer TL has a lot lesser problems but Honda has been dropping quality considerably. Nonetheless I would always recommend people purchasing the TL over the ES. But I didn't need a car as large as a TL. However, I did need a car with agility like my Integra. The IS350 surpassed that expectation for me. While the Integra has the agility of a ballerina (its only 2500 lbs) the IS350 has the agility, speed and balance of a cheeta. Plus since I've been modding supras the RWD bug has bit me and now all the newer FWD cars feel like an econobox. The TL or TSX are about the only excemptions.

Honda did screw up by loosing the Integra. They should've kept the last gen Integra and introduced the RSX with it until they dropped it. The Integra's sales never really fell. They all pretty much got sold from the dealers lots. For people who wanted reliability this car delivered and more.

I see several Lexus come to the shop but I hardly ever see any sort of problems with the IS250/350 and everyone I drive puts a smile on me so this decision seemed rather simple.
Old 09-22-07, 03:02 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E-Z ES300
Very nice, Congratulations and welcome... You will love the Lexus family

Thanx bro. Actually this isn't my first Lexus I've owned but it will be my first new car I've owned. Just never thought that my first new car would be a lexus.

This car is probably going to be a $46+k sticker.
MSRP $35,905
Delivery $765
Sport pack $3,805
Navi/Levinson $3,990
PCS/radar cruise $2,850
Park assist $500
Total $47,815

I'm glad I won't be paying MSRP for it.

When I placed the order the prices were:
MSRP $35,705
Delivery $715
Sport Pack $3,695
Navi/Levinson $3,990
PCS/radar cruise $2,850
Park assist $500
Total $47,455

So the price of the car did increase by about $400. I was expecting it would when the 08 models come out since there hasn't been an increase in the price since the launch on this model.

Last edited by carchitect; 09-22-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 04:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
That was when Acura motor division still got all its models from Japan. One of my absolute requirements of a Japanese car is that it HAS to be made in Japan. No if or but about it.

The Type-S TL is made in America. It has had quality issues and I've dealt with several customers with problems with them. The 04 and newer TL has a lot lesser problems but Honda has been dropping quality considerably. Nonetheless I would always recommend people purchasing the TL over the ES. But I didn't need a car as large as a TL. However, I did need a car with agility like my Integra. The IS350 surpassed that expectation for me. While the Integra has the agility of a ballerina (its only 2500 lbs) the IS350 has the agility, speed and balance of a cheeta. Plus since I've been modding supras the RWD bug has bit me and now all the newer FWD cars feel like an econobox. The TL or TSX are about the only excemptions.

Honda did screw up by loosing the Integra. They should've kept the last gen Integra and introduced the RSX with it until they dropped it. The Integra's sales never really fell. They all pretty much got sold from the dealers lots. For people who wanted reliability this car delivered and more.

I see several Lexus come to the shop but I hardly ever see any sort of problems with the IS250/350 and everyone I drive puts a smile on me so this decision seemed rather simple.
I didn't know that they were made in the USA.. That makes a big difference.. Thanks for the quality feedback.. Yea i don't think i can see myself driving a FWD car.. I'm so used to driving RWD cars ie.. Mustang and GS.. I wouldn't have it any other way either.. Thanks

TOny
Old 09-22-07, 04:17 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carchitect
Thanx bro. Actually this isn't my first Lexus I've owned but it will be my first new car I've owned. Just never thought that my first new car would be a lexus.

This car is probably going to be a $46+k sticker.
MSRP $35,905
Delivery $765
Sport pack $3,805
Navi/Levinson $3,990
PCS/radar cruise $2,850
Park assist $500
Total $47,815

I'm glad I won't be paying MSRP for it.
I got the same options plus G-Spider wheels and I paid about the same. 'Tis expensive getting a fully loaded IS350 because you have to special order it, and if you thought there were no discounts on 350s sitting on a lot...well there's even less of one when special ordering. Congrats on the new car.
Old 09-22-07, 04:30 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
CONGRATS!!!! POST THE PICS OF UR CURRENT CARS MAN!!!! I wanna see ur projects!!!!!
I'll do so in a few months when the car arrives.

The MKIV is going to be repainted from Renassance Red (ketchup) to the 02 NSX long beach blue pearl. The chassis is going to be stripped completely. The interior/exterior will all be gutted. Glass trim and everything removable will be out of it. The car will then be worked from ground up along with the 6 speed getrag conversion.
Old 09-22-07, 04:40 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I didn't know that they were made in the USA.. That makes a big difference.. Thanks for the quality feedback.. Yea i don't think i can see myself driving a FWD car.. I'm so used to driving RWD cars ie.. Mustang and GS.. I wouldn't have it any other way either.. Thanks

TOny
The first gen TLs were made in japan. 95-98 although 95 were 2.5 inline-5 motors (junk)

The 2nd gen TLs (99-03) 3.2V6 only were all made in america. This model has continuous issues with transmission failures

The 3rd gen TLs (04+) are offered with two engine choices today and are still made in america. Quality has improved but there is still that issue I face with the quality of the american worker. Lack of concern, feel his work is taken for granted, non-challant behaviour, lack of dedication, lack of need for improvement, ect are a few reasons why I won't purchase a vehicle built in america. Canada and Mexico are no exclusions either.

So yeah, I won't buy an RX 2nd gen unless it was indeed built in Japan (some are made in Canada)