IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is there any way a specific dealership could void a warranty for aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 12:54 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default is there any way a specific dealership could void a warranty for aftermarket parts?

my question is this, i plan on getting my intake installed, and i just called my dealer to let them know that i am doing it to see what they would say. they told me that i can do it, but it would void my warranty. i was like i dgaf man, bye. but in reality i do care about my warranty. is it possible for a dealership to void your warranty? i never read my contract or anything in full, i didn't sign the papers. but like, can a dealer say--"any aftermarket parts will void the warranty" in the contract, thus screwing me over. or is that just not a possibility or highly unlikely. i bought from vista lexus in socal, and while the buying experience was great--the service afterward has been less than mediocre.
Old 09-22-07, 01:00 PM
BLK*LEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe they can void the warranty...dont quote me on that, but thats what ive heard.....BUT...if u go with l-tuned parts.com and have the dealer install them, it doesnt void your warranty....l-tuned has the LMS intake which i plan on getting....double check with ur dealer, but i know mine is like that....
Old 09-22-07, 04:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a violation of -federal- law to void a warranty due to aftermarket parts unless they can prove the failed item (for the warranty repair) failed due to the aftermarket part.

In other words if you put in an intake and your brakes fail, they can't do anything but fix it free under warranty. If some part related to the intake fails they can refuse to repair THAT part, but the rest of the car is still covered.
Old 09-22-07, 05:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Of course a non-approved intake will void much or all of your warranty. Dealers and car manufacturers have lawyers at their disposal. Do you think you can hire your own lawyer, fight this issue, and win? Do you realize how much it would cost to try?

Enjoy your new car warranty and use only Lexus approved mods.
Old 09-22-07, 05:41 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
Of course a non-approved intake will void much or all of your warranty. Dealers and car manufacturers have lawyers at their disposal. Do you think you can hire your own lawyer, fight this issue, and win? Do you realize how much it would cost to try?

Enjoy your new car warranty and use only Lexus approved mods.
That's BS. It depends on the dealership. There are mod-friendly dealerships. However, there are many cases where the dealer has refused warranty service and the burden of proof lies with the accused rather than the accuser. What this means is that if you wind up with a non mod-friendly dealership, you may have to spend some cash on a lawyer.

Also, you sound like a stealership stooge saying things like 'enjoy your warranty and use only Lexus approved mods.'
Old 09-22-07, 05:44 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It is a violation of -federal- law to void a warranty due to aftermarket parts unless they can prove the failed item (for the warranty repair) failed due to the aftermarket part.

In other words if you put in an intake and your brakes fail, they can't do anything but fix it free under warranty. If some part related to the intake fails they can refuse to repair THAT part, but the rest of the car is still covered.
This is the letter of the law (Magnussen-Moss) however, I've heard far too many stories about dealerships who refuse warranty service with little or no grounds. Unfortunately, they DO tend to have more resources to fight you. They get away with it if you don't fight.....for your right......to parrrrrrrrty.
Old 09-22-07, 05:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

They also have a database maintained by Lexus USA showing when and where you've had service. They can included notes in this to show they've denied warranty service because of aftermarket parts and every Lexus dealer will be able to see it.

It didn't used to be like that.
Old 09-22-07, 05:56 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They also have a database maintained by Lexus USA showing when and where you've had service. They can included notes in this to show they've denied warranty service because of aftermarket parts and every Lexus dealer will be able to see it.

It didn't used to be like that.
In the good 'ole days?

You can understand why most dealerships don't want to warranty problems caused by non OEM parts....because they got slammed by people who blew up an engine because of some OEM part. It seems to have swung the opposite direction now....where dealerships will try to deny service in no way related to any mod. We need to get the ACLU in on this
Old 09-22-07, 08:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Magneson-Moss is a pretty clear federal law... you could prob.just hit small claims yourself so long as the claim dosn't exceed the max for small claims in your state, no lawyer needed.

In my expeience just mentioning the name of the law and showing you know what it means has been all you needed to get them to do the repair under warranty. If not, you can always sue for your court costs to enforce your rights under the law too.

They have more resources than you, but they DO pay for lawyers too. It's unlikely if you know your rights they'll find it cheaper to fight you in court than just fix the thing.

It's the folks with no idea of their rights that just get told "sorry, no repair"
Old 09-23-07, 12:13 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i understand magnussen moss, ive read all the threads about that. but are dealers allowed to make contracts that say "we will not honor warranty if there are aftermarket parts on a car?" or is that just illegal
Old 09-23-07, 12:17 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ron_is350
i understand magnussen moss, ive read all the threads about that. but are dealers allowed to make contracts that say "we will not honor warranty if there are aftermarket parts on a car?" or is that just illegal
If you are of sound mind, nearly any contract can be upheld.

Did you sign a contract saying anything like that? They cannot legally ask you to sign a contract forbidden by federal law. It's like asking you to sign a contract to kill three people per year.....
Old 09-23-07, 07:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It would be more accurate to say that the manufacturer can't void the warranty unless the failure was caused by the aftermarket part. SEMA, the industry trade group for aftermarket manufacturers used to have the "dealer/manufacturer has to prove the part caused the damage" language on their web site, but in recent years softened it to say "The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law." In other words, there is no presumption that aftermarket performance part didn't cause the problem unless proven otherwise, rather it's their engineers and technical experts against yours. http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

I agree with this part of your post.
Old 09-23-07, 04:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
That's BS. It depends on the dealership. There are mod-friendly dealerships. However, there are many cases where the dealer has refused warranty service and the burden of proof lies with the accused rather than the accuser. What this means is that if you wind up with a non mod-friendly dealership, you may have to spend some cash on a lawyer.

Also, you sound like a stealership stooge saying things like 'enjoy your warranty and use only Lexus approved mods.'
Guilty as charged! I've been around the auto biz for nearly 40 years and I am telling you like it is whether you like it or not. And I happen to own quite a few ADRs (somewhat like common stock) in a little company with the name Toyota Motor Corporation which happens to manufacture Lexus brand cars.
Old 09-23-07, 04:58 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
Guilty as charged! I've been around the auto biz for nearly 40 years and I am telling you like it is whether you like it or not. And I happen to own quite a few ADRs (somewhat like common stock) in a little company with the name Toyota Motor Corporation which happens to manufacture Lexus brand cars.
Seems that most other people here with experience agree with me. So you 'telling it like it is' doesn't carry too much weight with me, sorry.

I own stock in many of companies as well. Does that mean that I have any impact on corporate policies?....ummm...no.

Federal law expressly prohibits this: 'Of course a non-approved intake will void much or all of your warranty'.

Fact is, I don't think a propaganda effort launched on CL will be all that effective in increasing the value of your stock.
Old 09-23-07, 05:39 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Seems that most other people here with experience agree with me. So you 'telling it like it is' doesn't carry too much weight with me, sorry.

I own stock in many of companies as well. Does that mean that I have any impact on corporate policies?....ummm...no.

Federal law expressly prohibits this: 'Of course a non-approved intake will void much or all of your warranty'.

Fact is, I don't think a propaganda effort launched on CL will be all that effective in increasing the value of your stock.
Well, Bro, I guess that means that you will do whatever you think you can get away with. I don't live my life that way. By the way, we do not invest in stocks that we intend to sell -- we hold equity only in companies, like Toyota, that do well and which pay dividends reliably over the long term. We are investors and not speculators. I'm an old fart and am only trying to give you the benefit of some things I have learned over a nearly completed and financially successful lifetime. You can take it or leave it.

Quick Reply: is there any way a specific dealership could void a warranty for aftermarket parts?