IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Motorola Q9m (Verizon) works well

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07 | 08:59 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Default Motorola Q9m (Verizon) works well

I just bought a new cell phone/PDA, the Motorola Q9m from Verizon. It is my first phone with bluetooth. So far I am quite pleased with the way it works with my 2006 IS250 with Navigation.

It was easy to pair with the car. The bluetooth connection has worked every time. The sound is good. I get the caller ID and signal strength. I don't have a big list of phone numbers to transfer so any possible limitations in that regard don't bother me.

Since this is a relatively new phone, I thought I would pass this info along to anyone who was interested.
Old 09-26-07 | 09:03 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

how long have you had the Q9m? I had the Moto Q and bluetooth worked really well.. but the phone itself had too many software issues.. so I sold that off...
Old 09-26-07 | 09:12 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
how long have you had the Q9m? I had the Moto Q and bluetooth worked really well.. but the phone itself had too many software issues.. so I sold that off...
I have only had it for 3-4 days now. I am not an expert. About 90% of my phone calls are just between my wife and myself. I have not had any issues with the phone at this point. I don't have a data plan, just voice. I will be using some of the Windows Mobile 6 software such as "Documents To Go" but I haven't started with that aspect of the phone yet.
Old 09-27-07 | 05:08 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Were you able to transfer the address book...?
Old 09-27-07 | 07:45 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Awesome! We are getting these at work in a week or two, good to know already that it works! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-27-07 | 12:30 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Were you able to transfer the address book...?

I really don't have much of an address book so I haven't tried. Past history with Verizon telephones, based on my reading since I have not had a bluetooth phone before, suggests that you may be able to transfer one-by-one but probably will not be able to transfer things all at once.
Old 09-27-07 | 01:20 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
You have no idea how many issues there are with these phones. I am our exchange admin here at work, and we switched from 200 blackberries to 200 q's to save money. OMG biggest mistake ever. windows mobile and the Q is the worst piece of doo doo ever. Pretty much once a day you have to take your battery out, mail doesn't sync right, the blue tooth is a battery hog and it barely works, random lockups, random buttons just quit working Man o man i miss our blackberries. I had a pearl and it worked sooooo good with our cars. My q will straight up just freeze sometimes when a call comes in..

do a google search on motorola q+lockup it's insane.

sorry that sounds real *****y, but if you knew how frustrating it is to tell all your sales people "take the battery out and put it back in" oh and do this at least once a day..
Old 09-27-07 | 01:59 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
You have no idea how many issues there are with these phones. I am our exchange admin here at work, and we switched from 200 blackberries to 200 q's to save money. OMG biggest mistake ever. windows mobile and the Q is the worst piece of doo doo ever. Pretty much once a day you have to take your battery out, mail doesn't sync right, the blue tooth is a battery hog and it barely works, random lockups, random buttons just quit working Man o man i miss our blackberries. I had a pearl and it worked sooooo good with our cars. My q will straight up just freeze sometimes when a call comes in..

do a google search on motorola q+lockup it's insane.

sorry that sounds real *****y, but if you knew how frustrating it is to tell all your sales people "take the battery out and put it back in" oh and do this at least once a day..
Well, our people have had a lot more trouble with the treos than the Qs, so its an upgrade for us.
Old 09-27-07 | 05:53 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

ben let me know how it goes. We have the latest firmware on ours. Maybe somehow they come with a better load these days.

never messed with the treo's.
Old 09-27-07 | 08:53 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

the Q is decent for a basic phone, but beyond that, it's CRAP...I love my Treo 700wx.

the new Palm PPC line should be out within the next couple months. I
Old 12-03-07 | 12:55 PM
cmdace18
Driver

anyone have problems with the original Motorola Q from verizon (black or silver)?

just curious if it will work.....

thanks
Old 12-03-07 | 02:18 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by cmdace18
anyone have problems with the original Motorola Q from verizon (black or silver)?

just curious if it will work.....

thanks
Don't do it.

Avoid the original Motorola Q released as a Verizon exclusive in 2006. The battery life was horrible, half as long as similar devices from other manufacturers at the time. Used it to sync wireless email and I couldn't get 12 hours of battery life out of it.
It also was the buggiest device I ever saw, couldn't get through a day without multiple resets. Though perhaps I had a harder time since i was trying to use the data capabilities, which seemed to be a source of alot of the problems with that device.

Get the current flavor of Q if you want a Q. The current version Verizon offers is the Motorola Q9m. Some of my coworkers have that one, they don't praise it but they don't complain about it either (unlike the original Q which was universally despised, because of poor battery life, stability, etc.).

Another device to aviod is the Palm Treo 700W, I had that one too, slightly better all around than the original Q but that is not saying much, still junk. For some reason the 700P was a much better device. Maybe the problem was the 700W was Palm's first attempt at a windows mobile based device.

I just got rid of the 700W and have a Motorola Q9h on AT&T, had it a couple of weeks now it works okay, gets okay battery life, I've used the bluetooth from my IS it works okay. Haven't tried to sync contacts yet, I already had manually programmed the contacts I normally use in the car.
Old 12-03-07 | 06:07 PM
cmdace18
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
Don't do it.

Avoid the original Motorola Q released as a Verizon exclusive in 2006. The battery life was horrible, half as long as similar devices from other manufacturers at the time. Used it to sync wireless email and I couldn't get 12 hours of battery life out of it.
It also was the buggiest device I ever saw, couldn't get through a day without multiple resets. Though perhaps I had a harder time since i was trying to use the data capabilities, which seemed to be a source of alot of the problems with that device.

Get the current flavor of Q if you want a Q. The current version Verizon offers is the Motorola Q9m. Some of my coworkers have that one, they don't praise it but they don't complain about it either (unlike the original Q which was universally despised, because of poor battery life, stability, etc.).

Another device to aviod is the Palm Treo 700W, I had that one too, slightly better all around than the original Q but that is not saying much, still junk. For some reason the 700P was a much better device. Maybe the problem was the 700W was Palm's first attempt at a windows mobile based device.

I just got rid of the 700W and have a Motorola Q9h on AT&T, had it a couple of weeks now it works okay, gets okay battery life, I've used the bluetooth from my IS it works okay. Haven't tried to sync contacts yet, I already had manually programmed the contacts I normally use in the car.

Thanks for the information mike.

I already have the Motorola Q - have had it for about 6 months. I think I got lucky -- I use the extended battery and never run out of juice. I have it synched with my work server, have my gmail account attached and talk on the phone probably 30 minutes a day.

I guess the real question is if the Moto Q will work with my IS350 bluetooth. If the Q is plugged in when in use in my car (eliminating the battery worry), will it work?

In the near future (within 6 months), i'll probably swithc phones - to a blackberry. But for now, with a new car purchase, I'll want to stick with my phone and save the money i have for the lex.

Thank buddy
-CD