Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, $3500.. too crazy
Old 09-27-07, 10:16 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

WOW rodents

I would fix it myself.

First I would ask if they know there the "chomped" wire is at. Be like your trying to understand and have them show it to you, if possible.

Then spend a good time taking apart your car interior and jump/reconnect the "chomped" wire with your own wire, of course you want to solder it.

Test everything, make sure it works and then put back everything together.

Now you will still have $3500 in your pocket and your camera is working.
Old 09-27-07, 10:25 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

F it go take that $3,500 and put a down payment on a 350 and call it a day.
Old 09-27-07, 10:29 PM
kmeis350
Driver School Candidate

When I used to work in the service department I would see chewed wires quite often from rats. It seems they like the insulation of the wires. At the same time though we would see a lot of rat droppings so there was evidence that rats chewed the wires. These were customer pay repairs but most of the time we just repaired the wire and didn't replace the whole harness. Sorry to hear about your car but you should have them prove it by showing you the wiring harness cause maybe it was just a pinched wire from the factory. I have seen that also many times.
Old 09-27-07, 10:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts

Yes - be cautious and also ask to have the DM (district manager) for their Warranty Services give you a call... if rats didn't make it INTO your car, there is no reason any exterior wiring isn't properly protected or hidden from preventing this..

Usually they fix things like this under a "One Time Good Will" no charge deal.

Good Luck
Jz
Old 09-27-07, 11:28 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Rip Offfffffffff..
Old 09-27-07, 11:36 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read an article on yahoo a while ago and just did a search and found that article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/061219/20423.html?.v=1

for people don't want to read the entire article, here is the part about the rear camera:

"Another big-ticket item: those backup cameras that are starting to appear on everything from luxury sedans to SUVs to minivans. They're great safety items that eliminate dangerous blind spots, but if a parking lot smack down demolishes the one on your Lexus RX330, it will cost $4,336 to replace."
Old 09-27-07, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the harness doesn't cost 3500, togegther with installation it is..... you guys really haven't seen replacement of some harness on cars....... they are never cheap. even replace an internal harness on a toyota would be expensive
Old 09-28-07, 06:33 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

would it be possible to just replace the chewed up part with new wire?
Old 09-28-07, 06:50 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

The only rodent here is the dude that quoted you that price...
Old 09-28-07, 10:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
I read an article on yahoo a while ago and just did a search and found that article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/061219/20423.html?.v=1

for people don't want to read the entire article, here is the part about the rear camera:

"Another big-ticket item: those backup cameras that are starting to appear on everything from luxury sedans to SUVs to minivans. They're great safety items that eliminate dangerous blind spots, but if a parking lot smack down demolishes the one on your Lexus RX330, it will cost $4,336 to replace."
I don't take much stock in this article at all. I just checked the price of a backup camera for a 2006 RX350 and the Lexus retail price is $781.00. There's no way the labor is $3,500!!

I have seen rodent damage many, many times, it is not that uncommon.

If, in fact, the backup camera wires are related to rodent damage it will not be covered under any kind of warranty. The warranty protects you from manufacturer defects only.
Old 09-29-07, 07:29 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I smell a rat ! Highly unlikely that rodents chewed the harness. And if they did why didn't Lexus foresee this problem and protect the harness from this type of damage?? So now it is a design defect. Push back and challenge them all the way, and have them prove to YOU where the damage occurred. Sounds like they just don't want to do the warranty work for you, although they may well charge the work to Lexus Corp and pocket your $3,500. It's happened.

Your not really serious...are you???
Old 09-29-07, 08:00 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
Your not really serious...are you???
What part don't you think I'm serious about?? The OP says he drives the car regularly so the car doesn't sit for weeks/months on end where furry things could get into the car and make a home. It would be rare that a car in normal use is going to see rodent damage overnight. Not impossible, but if was being asked to cough up $3,500 for a mysterious harness caused by rodent damage I'd want absolute proof of where and how the damage occured. And if it occured overnight I'd challenge Lexus as to why they couldn't forsee this and why wasn't the car better protected against this type of casual damage. And how to protect the new harness from the same fate. It sounds like it could be a design flaw to me. What is so odd about that?
Old 09-29-07, 08:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by kikaida
...Then spend a good time taking apart your car interior and jump/reconnect the "chomped" wire with your own wire, of course you want to solder it...
[OT] If you know anything about wiring harnesses you would never, ever solder one. There is not one wire connection in your harness that got soldered by Toyota. Solder and flux wick up the wire under the insulation and cause stress fractures in places you can't see. So you get intermittent failures that are impossible to troubleshoot.

Soldered splices and connectors were banned on all new aircraft wiring in the military in the 80's. Soldering anything on a harness is BAD NEWS. Everything is crimped for reliability and longevity. The Air Force also spent about $1B rewiring all the KC-135s in the fleet because their harnesses were originally soldered when the planes were built in the early 60's and they couldn't keep the jets flying for wiring problems.
[/OT]
Old 09-29-07, 08:51 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
[OT] If you know anything about wiring harnesses you would never, ever solder one. There is not one wire connection in your harness that got soldered by Toyota. Solder and flux wick up the wire under the insulation and cause stress fractures in places you can't see. So you get intermittent failures that are impossible to troubleshoot.

Soldered splices and connectors were banned on all new aircraft wiring in the military in the 80's. Soldering anything on a harness is BAD NEWS. Everything is crimped for reliability and longevity. The Air Force also spent about $1B rewiring all the KC-135s in the fleet because their harnesses were originally soldered when the planes were built in the early 60's and they couldn't keep the jets flying for wiring problems.
[/OT]
Wow that's news to me (good to know), but i was not referring to a harness. Just bare wire in the middle that is "chomped." Anyhow if it was just wire in the middle of the loom that is cut, how would you suggest to fix it?

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Dead - $3500 to fix!