IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Inverted Cone Parking Lights (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 10:54 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PureCrstal, do not use those, members have had problems with those types after a few months *flickering/not all 5 leds lite up*. Goto www.vleds.com and get a pair of 5 SMT 194 bulbs.
Old 09-30-07, 12:53 PM
jecko714
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work bro....how difficult was it??
Old 09-30-07, 05:59 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
PureCrstal, do not use those, members have had problems with those types after a few months *flickering/not all 5 leds lite up*. Goto www.vleds.com and get a pair of 5 SMT 194 bulbs.
agreed with llamaboiz! SMT bulbs are the best out so far IMO.. i have 5 refractors in the front and SMT festoons in the rear.. the refractors dimmed out and arent as bright plus flicker when they fade away.. as for the rear SMT bulbs they are still bright as hell and dont flicker at all.. SMT FTW! as for the CITY LIGHTS i have j-51 polargs and no problems soo far and makes my car mean as hell at night along with my HID fogs too
Old 09-30-07, 06:47 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Looks great, but take pictures when the car is turned off. Does it have a stupid ricer blue lens look?

Originally Posted by Namir
i thought they were 'city lights' not parking lights? haha im always so confused on that.
btw, what camera were you using, those pics are awesome!
Canon 1D Mark II, like this:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Every week we have a member get those confused. Let's think about it guys. DRL (daytime-running-lights). The parking lights shown here are not on during the day. They come on when the parking lights/headlights are on at night.
you take the bus, i drive only when it's dark. these are the only lights i see on when i drive. it was late and i never know what to put for a title.

Originally Posted by SPEED&ECO.
wont that blue look a bit off with you lights on? unless you got like 8000k or 10000k..
depending on my camera settings it turns out a bit different. the camera can't capture the real color. it's white, whiter than stock 06 non-HID so now i'm on a quest to change the non-highbeam lamps. (and the DRL's)

Originally Posted by jecko714
nice work bro....how difficult was it??
just time consuming. you have to take off the engine covers, atleast the front one. and have the wrench from your tool kit to undo the bolt that holds the windshield fluid filler cap in place. a bar just snaps off. have a flashlight. and drivers side is more dificult than passengers. if i can do it, anyone can!

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i thought you said the SMT's were fitting loose? or did you say hang loose brah?
Old 09-30-07, 08:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hapaboy
i thought you said the SMT's were fitting loose? or did you say hang loose brah?
Yea, well mine fitted loose but all you need to do is pre-cut 2 thin strips of electrical tape and have it handy when you plug them in. Piece of cake. They look is fantastic too.

Old 09-30-07, 10:01 PM
skyraven4
Rookie

whats the difference between inverted cone drls and the drls we have now?
Old 09-30-07, 10:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skyraven4
whats the difference between inverted cone drls and the drls we have now?

uhh... i have absolutly no response to this...
Old 10-01-07, 07:26 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

You know, since we are on the topic of front lighting.... I was driving to work this morning next to and at times in front of a fellow black IS250 with HIDs and since it was still dark outside I got some very good long looks at the front head lighting. You know the more I looked at them on and while the car was moving I really think I am going to take out my city lights all together! They just look like a bleed over of light from the HID low beams and IMO cheapen the whole front lighting setup... I even have white ones that match the HID 4300K color and still I think it would look a lot better without them. At first I thought I should leave them in for times that I am in say a parking garage, where I used to like to have just the parking lights on and the headlights off, but now I just leave the headlights on. I really am starting to think its a lot cooler looking with just the low beam HIDs on by themselves, or with the fogs too...
Old 10-01-07, 11:50 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

dang! that's what happens when you do things at 3am on a friday i do have this image saved. oh well, i tried.
Don't use that diagram - it's wrong.

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I've seen this homemade pic several times, and some of the information on it is wrong. To remedy some of this confusion, here's the diagram from the factory service manual with all the correct nomenclature and functions:

Javier
Originally Posted by Namir
i thought they were 'city lights' not parking lights? haha im always so confused on that.
btw, what camera were you using, those pics are awesome!
As you can see above, they're 'parking lights,' not 'city lights.'

Javier
Old 10-01-07, 06:08 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

here are mines.... kinda blurry but o well

im using these bulbs i got on ebay for 5 dollars in total...

Old 10-01-07, 08:55 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Canon 1D Mark II, like this:
Awesome camera man!
Old 10-01-07, 10:29 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Okay, and since there has been several negative comments about my lighting diagram in a couple of different threads, I have decided to redo it and include the "correct" information on it so here it is (throw away the old one guys):