IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 10:40 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Park Assist

Who here has Park assist and thinks its useful?
I dont think we get the option for part assist in Texas so i was wondering if you guys think its possible to add it on. It will probably be expensive since you will have to get new bumpers and stuff.
Iv never had or used park assist on any cars and im a pretty bad parker, is it extermely useful?
Old 09-29-07, 11:30 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humm, while 95% of the time i think of parking assist as extreamly irrateing, there are those moments at night when im very tired, way more tired than i should be and still driving. so when i park half asleep they do a nice job of wakeing me up so go figuar. but correct me if im wrong, but u dont need a new bumper. dont u just drill some holes n pop in those sensors?
Old 09-29-07, 11:40 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey that would be cheaper and make more sence
Old 09-29-07, 11:45 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

granted im not sure about it, but i know in hawaii you can add it on as a option even if your car doesnt have it factory, and its sopose to affect your pickup date by a day at most. so i assume they just mod the stock bumper.
Old 09-30-07, 12:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Hmm the PA to my knowledge is a Factory Installed option only..

Anything that gets put on non-factory, won't be a Lexus product..

I actually special ordered it on my car so it when it was built, it came factory installed..

I consider my self an excellent parker, but having this system helps when backing up near a low wall or those invisible shopping center poles or even forward parking distance..

I can turn it on or off as I please and the volume is easily adjustable.

Joe Z
Old 09-30-07, 06:32 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

I can turn it on or off as I please and the volume is easily adjustable.

Joe Z
Joe, how do you adjust the volume on it???? I know that you can turn it off entirely, but didn't know that the volume could be adjusted.

BTW, I also have it and find it very useful, since I don't have the backup camera. You could probably add an AFTERMARKET system, similar to what they have on trucks...just go to your local stereo/security system installer and ask.

In terms of adding the factory sensors, I don't think it's possible, since it's tied in to the dash display.
Old 09-30-07, 01:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely possible to add this option afterwards. Just follow the lead on this thread and tell us how it all worked out for you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rk+Assist+Crap
Old 09-30-07, 02:40 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

is there anyway to delete the parking sensors haha. My dealer has the exact car i want in the 07 model. every option is how i want it except for the fact that it has those dang parking sensors. and i think they are big eye sore on the car.
Old 09-30-07, 03:36 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I found that the PA could not be fully trusted. There were times when there were fences, poles, oddly shaped objects, etc, that would be undetected. That means you cannot completely depend on the accuracy of the actual safe distance. In addition, it is useless if you have nav. With the nav, I can safely back up to 1/4" to the bumper. There should be a central sensor in the front bumper/spoiler section of the vehicle. It would be great to be able to protect the front spoiler. A front camera would be the ultimate!

If I had the choice again, I would pass on the PA. Although I think the PA is linked the luxury pkg. I remember the Stealer saying the PA was needed when getting the luxury pkg.

Koz
Old 09-30-07, 03:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Absolutely possible to add this option afterwards. Just follow the lead on this thread and tell us how it all worked out for you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rk+Assist+Crap
^^ Oddly enough, neither she or the husband never logged back in again...
Old 09-30-07, 03:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Namir
is there anyway to delete the parking sensors haha. My dealer has the exact car i want in the 07 model. every option is how i want it except for the fact that it has those dang parking sensors. and i think they are big eye sore on the car.
I would say no...

I felt they would be an eye sore as well... But I have had the car about 2 weeks and I got used to them already... having a dark color helps blend...

Click on thumbnails for enlarged pics..

Old 09-30-07, 03:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
I found that the PA could not be fully trusted. There were times when there were fences, poles, oddly shaped objects, etc, that would be undetected. That means you cannot completely depend on the accuracy of the actual safe distance. In addition, it is useless if you have nav. With the nav, I can safely back up to 1/4" to the bumper. There should be a central sensor in the front bumper/spoiler section of the vehicle. It would be great to be able to protect the front spoiler. A front camera would be the ultimate!

If I had the choice again, I would pass on the PA. Although I think the PA is linked the luxury pkg. I remember the Stealer saying the PA was needed when getting the luxury pkg.

Koz
^That's an interesting view point on the functionality of the PA system.

Just an FYI the PA is a stand alone option... It is not needed or part of any other Pkg(s)...

Joe Z
Old 09-30-07, 04:28 PM
mikes rx

Although the PA makes the bumpers look "different", I don't find it as an eye-sore at all. In fact, I think that the car looks "richer" because of them. Just my opinion.

with regard to the accuracy: I've never had any problems. Sure, if someone walks by the sensors while you are stopped, they will go off. But, besides that, I've never had a problem. Not even in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Joe: how do you adjust the volume??????????
Old 09-30-07, 04:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Although the PA makes the bumpers look "different", I don't find it as an eye-sore at all. In fact, I think that the car looks "richer" because of them. Just my opinion.

with regard to the accuracy: I've never had any problems. Sure, if someone walks by the sensors while you are stopped, they will go off. But, besides that, I've never had a problem. Not even in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Joe: how do you adjust the volume??????????
^I agree with above..

Well on my 2008, I goto the Lexus Park Assist Icon on the Nav Screen and I can select 3 options...

1) Rear Parking Sensor Distance (only 2 choices)

2) Park Assist Display Screen ON/OFF on the main Nav Screen.. Meaning I can use the Full Screen that says Lexus Park Assist and shows me the whole car and the corners with sonar or if its off I can use the the one on the cluster or if its in reverse a small box will show on the upper corner of the screen and vice versa I think ... gotta look at that later tonight

3) Volume Control Adjustment - 6 choices I think (have to recheck that one too)

Joe Z
Old 09-30-07, 04:48 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well on my 2008, I goto the Lexus Park Assist Icon on the Nav Screen and I can select 3 options...

1) Rear Parking Sensor Distance (only 2 choices)

2) Park Assist Display Screen ON/OFF on the main Nav Screen.. Meaning I can use the Full Screen that says Lexus Park Assist and shows me the whole car and the corners with sonar or if its off I can use the the one on the cluster or if its in reverse a small box will show on the upper corner of the screen and vice versa I think ... gotta look at that later tonight

3) Volume Control Adjustment - 6 choices I think (have to recheck that one too)

Joe Z
Well, I think you answered my question anyway, as I don't have NAV, therefore don't have a NAV screen to adjust these parameters

I just have the < O > button to play with, which I know can turn it on or off (and I think that's it in terms of adjustability)

Quick Reply: Park Assist