IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats a good accurate Tire Pressure Gauge to buy for the 2IS???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 08:13 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good accurate Tire Pressure Gauge to buy for the 2IS???

Since I owned my IS my TPMS went off twice.

First time was early am morning when it was still dark out. I pulled up to the local gas station and filled each tire with 40psi. I didnt have time to guess which tire was low. Visually it seemed like they were fine.

Second was a few days ago after I installed my XM radio. I connected my battery started my car and the TPMS light was on. I pulled over all tires seemed fine. I kept driving. After 20 minutes of driving the TPMS went off. Hasnt came on since. Maybe it had something to do with my disconnecting the battery??

So I want to get a good accurate Tire Pressure Guage for the 2IS to elminate possible guessing.

I went to a local auto store and didnt find any good ones.

What are you guys using?
Old 10-01-07, 02:55 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

But you might want to check the spare tire it also has a the sensor in it, so you really have 5 tires to keep properly inflated, not 4.
I use an old Pencil Style Pressure Gauge, works well enough for me.
Old 10-01-07, 06:51 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

i got one of those digital tire gauges from pepboys.
Old 10-01-07, 08:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Accutire makes some nice air pressure gauges.
Even the best gauges are .5 lb off at times.
Old 10-01-07, 08:19 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I connected my battery started my car and the TPMS light was on. I pulled over all tires seemed fine. I kept driving. After 20 minutes of driving the TPMS went off. Hasnt came on since. Maybe it had something to do with my disconnecting the battery??
Was it a chilly morning when the light came on? Pressure increases about 1 psi for each 10 degree increase in temperature, so if you are right on the cusp it isn't unusual to have the light come on only on chilly mornings and go off after the tire heats up from driving (and stay off on warmer days).

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
But you might want to check the spare tire it also has a the sensor in it, so you really have 5 tires to keep properly inflated, not 4.
While it is a good idea to keep the spare properly inflated, it doesn't have a sensor.
Old 10-01-07, 08:35 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Was it a chilly morning when the light came on? Pressure increases about 1 psi for each 10 degree increase in temperature, so if you are right on the cusp it isn't unusual to have the light come on only on chilly mornings and go off after the tire heats up from driving (and stay off on warmer days).
Nope, not chilly at all. Few months ago I filled up my tires to 40psi because I did not want to see that warning again.

I think its pointless to have TPMS without telling you what tire is low. Because both times when my light came up visually the tires were okay.
Old 10-01-07, 08:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I think its pointless to have TPMS without telling you what tire is low. Because both times when my light came up visually the tires were okay.
Low profile tires can look visually okay even when they are dangerously low on air, that's why I always keep a tire pressure gauge in the car.

I agree that the TPMS in our cars is poorly implemented -- I much prefer the one in my dad's Jeep that simultaneously displays the actual pressures in each of the four tires.
Old 10-01-07, 09:11 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I use an old Pencil Style Pressure Gauge, works well enough for me.
really? spare tire has it own tire sensor?
Old 10-01-07, 09:44 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

An expensive gauge isn't necessary. I have an old dial one that was a cheapie unit and it works fine. As long as it is consistent you can always compensate if you know it is, say, 2 psi off. We don't have F1 cars where 1/2 psi is a big deal.
Old 10-01-07, 09:57 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
While it is a good idea to keep the spare properly inflated, it doesn't have a sensor.
Maybe the older Lexus' didn't have the sensor in the spare but my 2007 does have have a spare tire with a sensor, I remember the Lexus guy specifically telling me that you can get the warning because of an under inflated spare.
I have read on other forums that people have run into the spare giving the low pressure warning to the system.
I haven't looked at mine but you might have to take the spare back to the dealer if it is low, I read that it might not have a normal stem and is filled with nitrogen gas.
Old 10-01-07, 10:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the older Lexus' didn't have the sensor in the spare but my 2007 does have have a spare tire with a sensor, I remember the Lexus guy specifically telling me that you can get the warning because of an under inflated spare.
I have read on other forums that people have run into the spare giving the low pressure warning to the system.
I haven't looked at mine but you might have to take the spare back to the dealer if it is low, I read that it might not have a normal stem and is filled with nitrogen gas.
This is the first time I've ever heard that the spare has a sensor. I'd be surprised if it did as it isn't a safety issue since they are only to be used for 50 miles or so. I'm sure someone will verify it or not. As has been demonstrated in the past don't always believe what Lexus tells you, there are often ***** working there, just like everywhere else. I've never checked the stem on my spare, but it would be counterproductive to have a valve that you couldn't fill with air. And why would Lexus fill the spare with Nitrogen if it is only to be used in emergency?
Old 10-01-07, 10:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This is the first time I've ever heard that the spare has a sensor. I'd be surprised if it did as it isn't a safety issue since they are only to be used for 50 miles or so. I'm sure someone will verify it or not. As has been demonstrated in the past don't always believe what Lexus tells you, there are often ***** working there, just like everywhere else. I've never checked the stem on my spare, but it would be counterproductive to have a valve that you couldn't fill with air. And why would Lexus fill the spare with Nitrogen if it is only to be used in emergency?
Nitrogen is supposed to be able to keep the consistent pressure longer, which would make sense in a spare. Nitro filled tires are supposed to have green valve covers. Costco uses it. There's only limited "evidence" that this is the case tough.
Old 10-01-07, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And why would Lexus fill the spare with Nitrogen if it is only to be used in emergency?
A tire will hold air pressure 6 times longer with nitrogen than regular air.
Maybe that's the reason.
Add in it also the tire pressure doesn't change much when on the road when filled with nitrogen.
I use nitrogen in all my vehicle's tires and keep a 11 gal tank of it on hand to add when necessary..
Old 10-01-07, 10:25 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

This is the first time I've ever heard that the spare has a sensor. I'd be surprised if it did as it isn't a safety issue since they are only to be used for 50 miles or so...
You could look at it the other way, maybe they are trying to make sure that you are protecting yourself and have a properly inflated spare at the ready even if it is only to be used for less than 50 miles.
I had a flat tire on an old car that had also had a flat spare and I remember that sucked finding that out on the side of the road on the freeway.

...I'm sure someone will verify it or not. As has been demonstrated in the past don't always believe what Lexus tells you, there are often ***** working there, just like everywhere else...
true, but the Lexus man had some plaques saying he was a certified master or something, so the master was wrong?

...I've never checked the stem on my spare, but it would be counterproductive to have a valve that you couldn't fill with air. And why would Lexus fill the spare with Nitrogen if it is only to be used in emergency?
Yeah that doesn't make sense, they should have a fitting that you can re-inflate, unless they are trying to get you back to the dealer to sell you more things or something. I'm going to take a look at my spare tonight when I get a chance to see if it has a regular nipple on it.
Old 10-01-07, 10:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

true, but the Lexus man had some plaques saying he was a certified master or something, so the master was wrong?
Yes, he was wrong. The spare tire has a normal rubber valve stem and cap, and can be checked and refilled with a normal tire gauge and air compressor. I know, I check mine regularly. The Toyota TPMS sensor has a metal valve stem and an aluminum cap with O-ring. It looks totally different than the 30 cent non-TPMS one in the spare.

This topic has come up before, and another moderator, Lobuxracer, even removed and deflated his spare to prove the point. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=19

Bottom line - no TPMS in the spare.

Quick Reply: Whats a good accurate Tire Pressure Gauge to buy for the 2IS???