IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'06 IS 250 Damage - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 12:45 PM
tjmaxwell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 IS 250 Damage - Suggestions?

In reading some other threads on damage to Glacier Frost Mica IS250's, I'm starting to think this color is cursed as others have said. Add mine to the list. My last car, an '03 Honda Civic was nearly flawless when I traded it in on this. Anyway, on to my situation...

I've had this car since February, 06. A few months into owning this car, I scraped the right side a bit on some bricks while backing out of my driveway. See the damage in this photo. I asked the dealer about this, and they said that small part can be replaced for about $130 or something like that and just snaps in there. As you can see though, the damage also affects other areas other than just that lip.

A few months later, I took it into one of those full service car washes, with vacuuming, interior cleaning, etc. About a month later (yes, I know, I'm not very perceptive), I noticed tiny hair-line scratches all along the surface of the car. I quickly realized that this must be from those industrial vacuum hoses running over the top of the car. See this photo for detail. I also asked the dealer about this, and they said a high-speed buffer should take those out pretty easily at minimal expense.

Next up is fairly long scratch across the doors. I'm not sure if someone keyed it or it's from something in the garage. I've never asked for an estimate to fix this. See this photo.

The last thing is the most grievous of all, and it just happened this weekend. My sister's car was acting up, so I loaned her mine to drive to work. Naturally, she accidentally scraped against the same bricks I had scraped earlier while backing out of the driveway. When she arrived to work, she saw this. Here's another angle.

At this point, I think I'm going to have to do something. This car is a lease, and I'm going to have to pay for it sooner or later. Plus, I'm afraid that if I just leave it, someone will come by and think it's funny to tear off the whole bumper.

Can anyone give me some advice here? I do lease an expensive car, but it's admittedly chewing up a lot of my extra money, so I don't have thousands for repairs. Any idea what fixing this might cost? Can anyone recommend a good, fair body shop in the Denver metro area? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-07, 01:26 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

time to buy GFX front lip! problem solved

oh...it's a lease.....!

you probebly need to replace the bumper then......
Old 10-01-07, 01:55 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

man that bumper hanging off is nothing...you can re attach that easily in like 10 mins.
Old 10-01-07, 02:05 PM
tjmaxwell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinister2c
man that bumper hanging off is nothing...you can re attach that easily in like 10 mins.
I've managed to pop it back in place easily enough, but it just comes loose again after a few bumps. It appears the plastic that holds the bolts has broken.
Old 10-01-07, 02:13 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

1. Touch up paint
2. buffer
3. plastic bumper clips
Old 10-01-07, 02:58 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

OUCH. Looking at those pictures is painful Those scratches from the vacuum can be buffed out with a porter cable, some skill, and patience. The front lip can be painted, but it'll probably cost you just as much to just buy a new one, as they come pre-painted. I can't really see how deep the key mark is on your door, but if it's not too deep that can also be buffed out. As for your front bumper, I can see the plastic retainer clips have broken. The easy answer is that you need a new front bumper, but with a great amount of ingenuity and effort you might be able to zip tie that together if you don't want/can't afford to buy a new one. Hope everything works out for you!

Javier