IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 vs. modded E46 M3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 10:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub
People are crazy...the cost to convert would be astronomical (new front fenders, pulled or replaced rear fenders, new interior, new front end, new rear valence, etc.).

I'm certain that in this case it was an M3 (heard it, saw it, drove next to it for 200 miles). Plus there isn't an E46 that can pull that hard except the M3.

Now, you guys have got me thinking. I may take my buddies E46 with SMG to the track and run the two vehicles next to each other to see how they do.
Yes, people are crazy, but badge engineering like this happens all the time... from Civics with fake SI badging to Caprices cloned into Impalas to 330s badged/bumpered into M3s...

Hell, I have a buddy with a Lexus GS300 the is rebaged as a Toyota Aristo... stock US GS300 powertrain mind you...

it doesn't neccesarily take all kinds, we just have all kinds.
Old 10-02-07, 10:59 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And, again, it might've just been a normal E46 with M3 badges stuck on it. Which'd make it a LOT slower than an IS350, even if the E46 had aftermarket exhaust and suspension. (the fact these were aftermarket makes it even more likely it wasn't really an M3 IMHO).

There's exactly this kinda "M3" in the parking lot at work here BTW.
I had a race with one of these guys and did not even know it wasn’t an M3 till we had stopped for a red light after getting off the highway. He had the ***** to threaten me because I dusted his ***. It turns out he was a cop (off duty) and got pissed off because I spanked his fake M3. He said I would be seeing a summons in the mail and he was going to witness against me. I told him, no problem, I'm willing to tell the judge how he had taunted me into racing with him and only because he had gotten spanked, he was upset. Of course nothing ever came of it. But, yes he had all the M3 badges on his 3 series. I guess these people think that because you may think it's a M3 people are going to be afraid. I was so disappointed because I thought I spanked an M3.

Koz
Old 10-02-07, 11:24 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Here is a track race between the cars:

Lexus IS350 vs E46 M3 convertible SMG (~ 250 lbs heavier than the coupe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkYoWpEi9M

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-02-07 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-02-07, 11:24 AM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
You shouldn't be pulling on the M3 stock, much less with all that weight in your car.
I hear you guys, which is why I posted this up. I'm sure this car can run with the M3, but I didn't think it would pull.

I'm sure that the car was an M3 because it pulled too hard to be anything else unless there are 5 second 330's on the road (are there?).

I'm going to chalk this up to a guy who didn't know how to drive his car until I get my buddies E46 on the track.
Old 10-02-07, 11:26 AM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Here is a track race between the cars:

Lexus IS350 vs E46 M3 convertible SMG (at 3700 lbs, 300 lbs heavier than the coupe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkYoWpEi9M
Who won? Looks like the IS to me....and it had a bad start.
Old 10-02-07, 11:37 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Who won? Looks like the IS to me....and it had a bad start.
M3 Vert (brake lights come on at the end of the race). The M3 Vert just launched hard using launch control system.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-02-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-02-07, 01:44 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I posted my story about me racing a m3 and pulling from it I was called basically a liar also.

Not worth even posting on this board.

I do think it's nice that you had that much weight in your car, because when i have even a person riding shotgun it seems funky.

I have for a fact though pulled a e46 up to around 120mph on the hwy. We both were entering the on ramp. I was behind him, he guns it getting on the hwy thinking he would leave me in the dust. I gun it right behind him draft off him till we are actually on the hwy, then pull around him on the left (at that piont probably 90mph), both kept it floored to about 120 and at that point I was a full car length and a half ahead of him.

I think the most surprising thing about the op and my post is that they were on the hwy. From a dig I will take the 350 any day. Our cars hoook up soooo very well from a dig.
Old 10-02-07, 02:10 PM
chat0882
Driver

Smoked Em'!!!
Old 10-02-07, 02:13 PM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Originally Posted by combfilter
When I posted my story about me racing a m3 and pulling from it I was called basically a liar also.

Not worth even posting on this board.

I do think it's nice that you had that much weight in your car, because when i have even a person riding shotgun it seems funky.

I have for a fact though pulled a e46 up to around 120mph on the hwy. We both were entering the on ramp. I was behind him, he guns it getting on the hwy thinking he would leave me in the dust. I gun it right behind him draft off him till we are actually on the hwy, then pull around him on the left (at that piont probably 90mph), both kept it floored to about 120 and at that point I was a full car length and a half ahead of him.

I think the most surprising thing about the op and my post is that they were on the hwy. From a dig I will take the 350 any day. Our cars hoook up soooo very well from a dig.
From a dig, my IS pulls better then my S4. By about 50 mph, the S4 starts pulling on the IS. Keep in mind that my S4 will take an M3 from a dig or at highway speeds (of course this is always dependent on the drivers - just my experience behind the wheel).

Either there is a huge difference in performance between IS' or folks just don't know how fast their cars are. You have been able to run a quarter in 13.3 seconds....last time I checked, that's faster then most (if not all) stock M3's.
Old 10-02-07, 02:15 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Beats bench racing even though someone did pull some 0-60 times from some magazine...........I would love to run a IS350 but I have no 0-60 times or magazine numbers for anyone to reference.
Old 10-02-07, 02:57 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From a dig, my IS pulls better then my S4. By about 50 mph, the S4 starts pulling on the IS. Keep in mind that my S4 will take an M3 from a dig or at highway speeds (of course this is always dependent on the drivers - just my experience behind the wheel).

Either there is a huge difference in performance between IS' or folks just don't know how fast their cars are. You have been able to run a quarter in 13.3 seconds....last time I checked, that's faster then most (if not all) stock M3's.

Yes, this makes sense because your s4 is a turbo. I raced a 01's s4 and it ended up smoking me out at ennis. off the line, I killed him but after about the 1/8th mile he caught up and flew past me. Turbo's are fun and do the job. he was running up 12's out there so I am pretty sure he had some nice aftermarket done. this goes along with your comments about your s4.

Love the s4's btw.
Old 10-02-07, 03:20 PM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Originally Posted by combfilter
Yes, this makes sense because your s4 is a turbo. I raced a 01's s4 and it ended up smoking me out at ennis. off the line, I killed him but after about the 1/8th mile he caught up and flew past me. Turbo's are fun and do the job. he was running up 12's out there so I am pretty sure he had some nice aftermarket done. this goes along with your comments about your s4.

Love the s4's btw.
I actually have the high strung V8, but it makes its peak power just south of redline.
Old 10-02-07, 03:33 PM
shyishguy
Rookie

My previous car was an E46 M3 with SMG... let me tell you .. there's no comparison. M3 would drive circles around my IS350 any day of the week, and twice on sundays. especially in the 60-130 range.

My guess is that it's a 3 series with an M badge.
Old 10-02-07, 03:38 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shyishguy
My previous car was an E46 M3 with SMG... let me tell you .. there's no comparison. M3 would drive circles around my IS350 any day of the week, and twice on sundays. especially in the 60-130 range.

My guess is that it's a 3 series with an M badge.
I'm sure it was an M3. Some people buy high performance cars and don't know or are scared to drive them to the cars full potential.

Lots of Porsche owners are like this and I see a bunch of old men driving M3's.
Old 10-02-07, 03:42 PM
shyishguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I'm sure it was an M3. Some people buy high performance cars and don't know or are scared to drive them to the cars full potential.

Lots of Porsche owners are like this and I see a bunch of old men driving M3's.

So if you're saying it like that --- that just mean he was driving the M3 slow... so it's not a real race.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs. modded E46 M3