IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 05:53 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Is it really that crazy to want a car that is as fun to drive as a BMW with the reliability and luxury of a Lexus? Are you saying that there is nothing about your car that you think can be improved upon?
No its not bad at all but if you bought a Lexus and researched the brand you (not you in general) would know that Lexus is about luxory first -- over everything. Or so that is how I approached the purchase of my IS350. "Ohhh horsepower in a straight line.. Perfect!! And a nice interior!!" If I wanted something that handled I'm pretty sure I would have bought a Porsche, or 2 seater type roadster. And sure there are things Lexus could improve on, but.. technically speaking I'm still driving a four door sedan, I'm not expecting it to handle like a Porsche GT, and I'm sure 97% of the other consumers who purchased their IS think the same way. Besides do you think half of the BMW drivers out there know their cars can *handle*? Probably not because car enthusiasts are a minority.

Who buys a Four Door Sedan and expects to be taking turns at eleventy billion miles an hour anyway??

If we could get it all that would be fantastic! Well, we might get it all with the IS-F.
Old 10-03-07, 05:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it really that crazy to want a car that is as fun to drive as a BMW with the reliability and luxury of a Lexus? Are you saying that there is nothing about your car that you think can be improved upon?

Go hang out on BMW forums....they all complain about reliability and wanting Porsche like handling; trying to find out ways to make their cars better. They all want a piece of what Lexus(reliability/quality/luxury) and Porsche(handling/quality/fun-factor) have just like some of us want a piece of what they have.

I've been in tons of M/AMG/Porsche type cars and have yet to find one that gives me everything I want in a car. It is human nature to strive to improve, why should car buying be any different?

I did the BMW thing, it bit me on the ***, so now I'm doing the Lexus thing for the exact reasons that drove me away from BMW. Does that mean that I should accept that the Lexus package cannot be improved because improving it would degrade that which makes it a Lexus? I certainly hope not.
I think you will find that most people on CL will say the Lexus is great. But it's just not going to be as fun to drive as the BMW. There are things that can be improved upon in all cars. In the Lexus, handling is one of those things. Considering that a comparably equipped 3 series would have been signficantly more expensive than my 250AWD, I didn't even test drive it--I knew that if I did, it would be harder to dismiss that car as a choice.

Some people will put a higher value on handling than they will on reliability and quality of materials. Maybe the IS isn't the best handling in this class, but it drives way better than my former 2000TL. Plus, the quality is great, I love the styling, and it has the techno gizmos I wanted (and no iDrive). I know that some who lease their cars seem to think that reliability isn't a factor, since the car will be under warranty during the lease--if you have the time in your schedule to be making extra trips to the dealer to take care of things that shouldn't go wrong, great for you. I'd rather not do that. What's the most consistent issue on CL? Brake dust? A vibrating rear view mirror? Some squeaks?

If you are ready to sell your IS for a BMW or Audi because the Lexus doesn't handle like a German car or have that German feel, you just didn't do your homework before you purchased the Lexus.
Old 10-03-07, 06:22 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

there will always be away that something can be better....just my .02

i may get bashed for this..but since the 2is just came out recently shouldnt people understand that there will be kinks that need to be worked out and shortcomings fullfilled...if im not mistaken (and dont take me for a car guru) the bmw 3's have had some time to iron out all their shortcomings.....
Old 10-03-07, 06:44 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's one thing for people to say they wish this was better, that was better, etc, but that overall they understand and appreciate the package they got for the price they paid.

But I agree with the OP, I see so many posts just flat out regretting the purchase, saying that you just can't love the car because it doesn't quite handle like a BMW at the limits. Really? Handling at the limit makes the car unenjoyable for you? If you are that sensitive to handling prowess at the limit, and you need it to enjoy a car, then I'm afraid even BMW won't be good enough for you, Andretti.
Old 10-03-07, 06:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I agree on this thread, y'all complain too much!
Old 10-03-07, 07:08 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Handling wasn't a factor for me in my purchase of the IS350. The reliability I have come to know through owning other Toyota and Lexus cars was the main factor. I'm not looking to go racing with my car, nor am I looking to take hairpin curves above the speed limit, so what some are calling the driving satisfaction and experience never enters my mind when buying a car. Most of my driving is on interstates and main roads in urban environments, so perhaps I'm the worst kind of driver to comment on this. I'd rather be anywhere else than confined in a small space on four wheels on some stretch of pavement, but unfortunately we all need to go places, and Lexus makes that comfortable and reliable. If I were Lexus I wouldn't change their successful formula just to make a handful of people that want a BMW without actually having a BMW happy.
Old 10-03-07, 07:20 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine

If we could get it all that would be fantastic! Well, we might get it all with the IS-F.
I sure hope so
Old 10-03-07, 07:32 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanon
Handling wasn't a factor for me in my purchase of the IS350. The reliability I have come to know through owning other Toyota and Lexus cars was the main factor. I'm not looking to go racing with my car, nor am I looking to take hairpin curves above the speed limit, so what some are calling the driving satisfaction and experience never enters my mind when buying a car. Most of my driving is on interstates and main roads in urban environments, so perhaps I'm the worst kind of driver to comment on this. I'd rather be anywhere else than confined in a small space on four wheels on some stretch of pavement, but unfortunately we all need to go places, and Lexus makes that comfortable and reliable. If I were Lexus I wouldn't change their successful formula just to make a handful of people that want a BMW without actually having a BMW happy.
I don't really agree with the 'dont mess with success' mantra. It didn't work for detroit, and it won't work forever with Lexus either. The good new is, they don't believe it either as evidenced by some of the concepts and new models they are coming out with. Anyone who sells anything always needs to be looking for ways to improve, to appeal to a wider audience, and to sell to as many niches as possible.

One huge niche is becoming the former-BMW-owner segment filled with people like me.

I knew what I was buying when I bought my Lexus and I don't regret it at all. In fact, I really like my car and would buy it again in a heartbeat. However, I do think that there are things that can be improved upon.

So, for the point-a-to-point-b folks, the IS might fit the bill perfectly. For the rest of us, it's close, but we see room for improvement.

I do agree that people complain too much about it. If you don't like something, suggest improvements. No one wants to hear your whining.
Old 10-03-07, 07:46 AM
JensBoo
Pole Position

I personally think the IS handles better than my old Celica and my Celica handled beautifully. I don't see why anyone would complain about the handling at all. If you want an autocross or rally car, get an Evo or something.
Old 10-03-07, 08:02 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

So, for the point-a-to-point-b folks, the IS might fit the bill perfectly. For the rest of us, it's close, but we see room for improvement.
This is who the big car makers are generally marketing to and building the car for. Most people are point A to point B drivers. Not too many people are worrying about how fast they can take a curve or their 1/4 mile time. I think the big factors for people in buying cars is the outward appearance of the car followed by the reliability and quality of the car. After that I'd say it's probably the interior that matters as in what kind of modern driving conveniences are provided. I'm talking on a percentage basis by the way, so at the far end of that long list of things people want/need in a car before they'll buy it is the performance related specifications. How many people even know about the horsepower or displacement of their engines? I bet less than 0.1% of all car buyers and drivers can tell you either of these two very rudimentary numbers. If I'm a car maker am I really going to pour tons of money into capturing that last fraction of a percent of the market? Given that does not come without risk, probably not.
Old 10-03-07, 08:10 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Namir
"You never actually own a BMW, you just occasionally borrow it from the service department."
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
Old 10-03-07, 09:11 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Excellent discussion....

The IS250/350 is a sporty car, not a sports car. I do however, wish the Sports Package offered a bit tighter handling. Of course I could then whine about the ride being too harsh.

The IS350 does what it was designed for better than any other product on the market. Like all in life, it's a series of compromises, done very well.

Those who buy BMW's deserve exactly what they have, as do those who whine about the "lack of fun" driving their IS's. I don't know where the people putting 20" wheels on their IS's fit in this thread.
Old 10-03-07, 09:32 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

For the simple fact that no car is perfect. It's a trade off as stated before but we paid for the car and the IS is advertised as a sport sedan. Of course don't expect it to drive like a porsche but "Intelligent Sport" is what the "IS" stands for. I have no complains about my IS250 and would not trade it off for a 3-Series but they are in the same market. So by saying the 2IS is not a sports car then saying you should go to a BMW dealer for one, doesn't make much sense since your practically saying that the 3-Series isn't a sports car either.
Old 10-03-07, 09:35 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I will say this..

If the IS350 was AWD I would EXPECT much more out of it.
Old 10-03-07, 09:42 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Namir
"You never actually own a BMW, you just occasionally borrow it from the service department."
lol so true, people are always asking my friend which one is his real bmw, the 2 door or the 4 door

he drives the rental they give him more then his own 330ci

Quick Reply: I don't understand some 2IS buyers?