IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 08:45 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
What makes the M3 not a sports car when compared to 350Z or S2000? It can't be weight, because the Z is a fat ***. It's not handling or speed......
Do a search and learn... A simple definition of a sports car is "a small low car with a high-powered engine, and generally seats two people". This is more or less a "textbook" definition but gives us an idea of what the public perceives to be a sports car. This does not include coupes or sedans. Many enthusiasts also consider that a sports car must be available in a convertible. Nearly all motor vehicle departments in the 50 states apply the above definition to catagorize a sports car.

The 3 Series is NOT a sports car, even in M form. Now, the BMW 2 seater models would define a sports car. Oh yah, for those who don't know or think it is a typo, the correct term is sports car, not sport car. Yes, this gal knows a thing or two about cars. Remember "My Cousin Vinny"? LOL

Last edited by DropTopGal; 10-03-07 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 08:52 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I think it's debatable. My BMW was better engineered than my Lexus; they used higher quality parts and put the entire package together better than my Lexus. The BMW was rock solid from day one where my Lexus often reminds me that it's a Toyota by a little groan here or a squeak there.

I honestly believe that my BMW was better engineered than my Lexus. Where I think the BMW was lacking was in the quality control on the assembly line. This is what make Japanese cars so reliable; they start with a good (not great) model, and build the exact same thing over and over and over again, with minimal faults.

The Germans (with a few exceptions) start with a great model and build 25% of them with minimal faults. It's the other 75% that kills me.
BMW better engineered than the Lexus? Oh, I completely disagree. Don't confuse the sound when the door closes with engineering. Engineering today includes many facets, materials, build quality, electronics... to name just a few.

First, BMW is a decade or more behind Lexus when it comes to electronics. BMW notoriously has poor electronics and is actually one of the main problems with BMWs today. If you have not noticed, cars today are run by computers / electronics. They should hire Lexus engineers to do their electronics.

I'm basing off of personal experience with two E46s models in the not to distant past to use for comparison. I could go on and on, but to me, BMW is inferior in build quality, period. Oh, and the BMW tail lights have something in common with the interior design...> circa 1980s.
Old 10-03-07, 08:56 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
BMW better engineered than the Lexus? Oh, I completely disagree. Don't confuse the sound when the door closes with engineering. Engineering today includes many facets, materials, build quality, electronics... to name just a few.

First, BMW is a decade or more behind Lexus when it comes to electronics. BMW notoriously has poor electronics and is actually one of the main problems with BMWs today. If you have not noticed, cars today are run by computers / electronics. They should hire Lexus engineers to do their electronics.

I'm basing off of personal experience with two E46s models in the not to distant past to use for comparison. I could go on and on, but to me, BMW is inferior in build quality, period. Oh, and the BMW tail lights have something in common with the interior design...> circa 1980s.
couldnt say it better myself.... engineering is in everything... people just associate it with pure performance.... but i guess thats what the simple minded think...
Old 10-03-07, 09:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can fix a lexus's shortcomings with aftermarket mods, i cant say the same for other car brands. The option is there if I wish to pursue it
Old 10-03-07, 09:48 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could we use please your personal experience on the "modded E46 vs IS350" thread .........seriously.

Here's the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=309913
Old 10-04-07, 07:34 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

And I completely disagree right back. What you are talking about is high tech electronics and reliability, not quality. Quality deals with the fineness of the materials used, and superior manner in which an item was built. I'll give you that Lexus is far more reliable, but higher quality....that's going to be a hard sell.

P.S. e46 might have been different, mine was an e90.
Old 10-04-07, 07:40 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Do a search and learn... A simple definition of a sports car is "a small low car with a high-powered engine, and generally seats two people". This is more or less a "textbook" definition but gives us an idea of what the public perceives to be a sports car. This does not include coupes or sedans. Many enthusiasts also consider that a sports car must be available in a convertible. Nearly all motor vehicle departments in the 50 states apply the above definition to catagorize a sports car.

The 3 Series is NOT a sports car, even in M form. Now, the BMW 2 seater models would define a sports car. Oh yah, for those who don't know or think it is a typo, the correct term is sports car, not sport car. Yes, this gal knows a thing or two about cars. Remember "My Cousin Vinny"? LOL
So an e46 M3 is NOT a sports car because it has 4 seats, but an El Camino, or a Z3 2.3 is?
Old 10-04-07, 08:18 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

So an e46 M3 is NOT a sports car because it has 4 seats, but an El Camino, or a Z3 2.3 is?
Ok...now you guys and gal have gone too far!

Best quality engineered all around Sports Car:

Best recent quality clutch Sports performance:

IMHO, of course.
Old 10-04-07, 08:19 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Because it is produced at a 4 to 1 ratio?
Like I said, most 2ISx buyers don't care that the 250 can be outrun by a V6 camry, accord, altima, avalon, a RAV4 blah blah blah blah

all they care is that they have a cool looking lexus.
Old 10-04-07, 08:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
Like I said, most 2ISx buyers don't care that the 250 can be outrun by a V6 camry, accord, altima, avalon, a RAV4 blah blah blah blah

Now that I can agree with when you add in the AWD and the reliablilty factor too.
Old 10-04-07, 08:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811

It's not all about speed and HP--if it was, for the $$, I'd have bought a Dodge Charger.
Old 10-04-07, 08:36 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fantom
Ok...now you guys and gal have gone too far!

Best quality engineered all around Sports Car:

Best recent quality clutch Sports performance:

IMHO, of course.
I can definitely get on board with that.
Old 10-04-07, 08:47 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's not all about speed and HP--if it was, for the $$, I'd have bought a Dodge Charger.
ONE MORE TIME, LETS SAY IT OUT LOUD TOGETHER, IT'S ABOUT HAVING A COOL LOOKING LEXUS
Old 10-04-07, 08:53 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so off topic! LOL We all just need to
Old 10-04-07, 10:59 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

If it had Porsche handling, Lexus reliability, Bugatti transmission, etc, etc. You damn well better believe I would drop way more than 50 grand. I don't give a Flying horse shyte what brand it is. All I care is that it performs.
Keep dreaming, maybe one day another Preston Tucker will happen along. Such a car will never exist, at any price . . .

Quick Reply: I don't understand some 2IS buyers?