IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:18 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
The IS has accounted for 2% of all TMC's sales this year so far (41,706 of 2,001,646 vehicles total). That's pretty small I think. Since Lexus only makes 8 models total (3 SUVs and 5 sedans?), saying it's in 3rd place is a bit misleading especially in light of the fact that Lexus overall only accounts for slightly less than an eighth of all vehicle sales. Camries and Corrollas account for 56% of TMC's passenger car sales, and if you throw in the ES which is basically a rebadged Camry, that number jumps to 71% of all cars. The IS is dwarfed many times over in unit sales by Camries (9 times) and Corrollas (7 times). If you rank all TMC models, the IS is #18 in total sales with a YOY change of about 40 units (about +0.1%) which shows little growth. That's hardly a homerun, but certainly is a heck of a lot better than the IS300 was selling I'll give you that. I think it's safe to call the Camry the bread and butter of TMC and the IS a minority model.
Hold on partner, this is not a discussion about the Camry. Sure the Camry is the bread & butter of TMC, but to say that Lexus is tied to Camry sales is a bit absurd. 18 years ago Lexus didn't even exist, today they are a significant profit center for TMC. Notice I said profit center, not volume contributor. Lexus on a per car basis is adding more to the bottom line than any Toyota model (period). So what do you think is more important to the brass at TMC, units sold or $ profit per unit sold ???
Old 10-04-07, 11:46 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Sure, blame the iPhone

Stay in school!
haha, the funny thing is i was in class when i posted this lol
Old 10-04-07, 11:56 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am the OP, in threads that i start OT is fine and welcome. *cough* since im normally OT in other ppls threads
Old 10-04-07, 12:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
Lexus=Luxurious Cars, not "sport" cars

and the IS-F is not sporty?

its definitely the most sport oriented lexus has ever attempted.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-04-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 12:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
So what do you think is more important to the brass at TMC, units sold or $ profit per unit sold ???

units sold....because profits can be lower on each unit and still make $$$ because of the huge volume. Its better for the Toyota brand name to sell 1 million camrys making $500 each rather than 20000 and $2500 on each.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-04-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 12:35 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Keep dreaming, maybe one day another Preston Tucker will happen along. Such a car will never exist, at any price . . .
The fact that this car will never exist was never in question. What you asked is whether I would drop 50k on this car if it was made by dodge or pontiac and my answer was a definitive and emphatic yes. I knew this was a theoretical discussion because you used this very important word

I call BS. If the badge was Pontiac or Dodge, you would throw down 50 large on it ? I sure as hades would not . . .
Old 10-04-07, 12:47 PM
insider
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I concur with the OP. Enough BMW this and that. There is SO MUCH that comes with the IS that the 3 series BMW can keep it's VERY SLIGHT performance edge. BTW: IMO, my 08 IS350 sport handles just has good and feels just as "communicative to the road" as the 335i. I was surprised as to how well the IS handles. Perhaps the "recalibrated steering" for 08 and the sport package has something to do with it. I see that many who complain about the IS supposed inferior handling are non-sport package and IS250 owners.

Now, the M series is a different story when it comes to handling. The E46 M (I had one) was not vastly superior in handling to the 08 IS350 sport, but it was more performance oriented. Of course, that was when I could actually drive it when it was not in the shop.

To clarify something gentlemen and ladies...> the 3 series is NOT a "sports car", even in M form. Examples of "sport cars" on the market today would include the likes of Elise, S2000, 350Z, Boxter, Cayman.... The Corvette is sometimes classified as a GT rather than a sports car. Of course the exotics (Ferrari, Lambo and a few others) are considered "sports car".
It may not be a sports car, but it is nice to know it handles better than those "sports cars" http://www.caranddriver.com/features...35i-coupe.html
Old 10-04-07, 01:15 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagwell
units sold....because profits can be lower on each unit and still make $$$ because of the huge volume. Its better for the Toyota brand name to sell 1 million camrys making $500 each rather than 5000 and $2500 on each.
the math isn't quite right here, hence the obviously choice of camry...

Anyway, the Lexus or BMW badge is important because it represents the company's success. Lexus has done well with IS but it's not going to be as successful as the 3 series; however, Lexus can definitely build on this, and I think when the 3rd generation IS comes out, it will be a much improved product for its sports sedan goal. After all, it's not like Toyota doesn't know how to build a nice sporting machine (Supra comes to mind).

IS needs to do a couple of things:
- Have a manual available for the performance version (luxury sedans is about options)
- Have a better base model in terms of power
- Increase the size for rear passengers (closer to G35 or TSX size)
- Allow people to order as they configure and deliver in a more timely manner
Old 10-04-07, 01:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

units sold....because profits can be lower on each unit and still make $$$ because of the huge volume. Its better for the Toyota brand name to sell 1 million camrys making $500 each rather than 5000 and $2500 on each.
It's neither--what's important is total profit. They could mark the IS down to $15,000, and no one's going to be jumping up and down that units sold went thru the roof. They could sell a single IS for $100,000, and no one's going to car that the profit per unit is a home run.

They get to that number on a Camry by selling lots of them, and they get to that number on an LX 570 by making them expensive.
Old 10-04-07, 01:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TMQ
the math isn't quite right here, hence the obviously choice of camry...

Anyway, the Lexus or BMW badge is important because it represents the company's success. Lexus has done well with IS but it's not going to be as successful as the 3 series; however, Lexus can definitely build on this, and I think when the 3rd generation IS comes out, it will be a much improved product for its sports sedan goal. After all, it's not like Toyota doesn't know how to build a nice sporting machine (Supra comes to mind).

IS needs to do a couple of things:
- Have a manual available for the performance version (luxury sedans is about options)
- Have a better base model in terms of power
- Increase the size for rear passengers (closer to G35 or TSX size)
- Allow people to order as they configure and deliver in a more timely manner
fixed.....

Its better for the Toyota brand name to sell 1 million camrys making $500 each rather than 20000 and $2500 on each

I was too tired to do the math....but....
Old 10-04-07, 01:30 PM
THINKtank
Driver

Both produce great cars and I think that the IS350 is a great answer to the performance needs of consumers. And the IS-F is going to be out of this world.
Old 10-04-07, 02:44 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Hold on partner, this is not a discussion about the Camry. Sure the Camry is the bread & butter of TMC, but to say that Lexus is tied to Camry sales is a bit absurd. 18 years ago Lexus didn't even exist, today they are a significant profit center for TMC. Notice I said profit center, not volume contributor. Lexus on a per car basis is adding more to the bottom line than any Toyota model (period). So what do you think is more important to the brass at TMC, units sold or $ profit per unit sold ???
My point was that Lexus, represents such a small amount of TMC's overall sales that they don't care about a handful of potential consumers or even owners complaining about a BMW possibly having better handling. Number one, no one on here can define handling let alone quantify it. If you can't quantify something how do you expect Lexus to fix or improve it? The only thing I've heard so far is how much more fun a BMW is to drive which sounds like a regurgitation of some of the car mags' reviews rather than real technical analysis. Lexus is unlikely to risk a change in their solid designs to appease a handful of car geeks that think they know more about cars than those who design and build them for a living.

Speaking of quality, which also for some reason seems to be up for debate in this forum, my boss has a five year old M5, and that car is in the shop at least three times per year, and had to go in for service that cost well over $2,000 just days after the warranty expired. There seems to be a lot more BMWs in the shop than Lexuses which to me speaks to the quality of the car. Ever since my first Toyota I've been hooked on them after dealing with American cars for so many years. I'm trying to be fair to BMW but it's tough when you see firsthand the quality issues, the cheap interiors that are straight out of the 80s, the crappy iDrive system, etc. I always have to ask, besides the badge on the back and the status that comes with driving one, what's so great about them?
Old 10-04-07, 03:07 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Former E36 owner here. I obviously chose the IS350 over the 330i when I was window shopping. IF the 335i was out at that time and IF Bmw had a comparable Nav/Audio/backup cam system and IF I could *buy* this mythical bimmer for an acceptable premium (say 5-8%) I prolly would've bought it. But at the end of the day, when you weigh all the pros & cons, the IS was the clear choice. . .
Old 10-04-07, 03:27 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

fixed.....

Its better for the Toyota brand name to sell 1 million camrys making $500 each rather than 20000 and $2500 on each

I was too tired to do the math....but....
LOL, the math is still off (more global warming math ?). But I do get your point. The difference is TMC doesn't have to choose - they are doing BOTH, hence they are the #1 Auto company in the world. . .

Like I said before, I hope TMC builds and sells a buttload of Camrys, Corollas, RXs & ESs, just as long as they also build the kind of car I want to buy (ISF, GSF, LFA etc)
Old 10-04-07, 03:59 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Former E36 owner here. I obviously chose the IS350 over the 330i when I was window shopping. IF the 335i was out at that time and IF Bmw had a comparable Nav/Audio/backup cam system and IF I could *buy* this mythical bimmer for an acceptable premium (say 5-8%) I prolly would've bought it. But at the end of the day, when you weigh all the pros & cons, the IS was the clear choice. . .
I would have made the opposite choice had the 335i been out at the same time. A chipped 335i is just too hard to resist

Quick Reply: I don't understand some 2IS buyers?