IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 04:16 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
Speaking of quality, which also for some reason seems to be up for debate in this forum, my boss has a five year old M5, and that car is in the shop at least three times per year, and had to go in for service that cost well over $2,000 just days after the warranty expired. There seems to be a lot more BMWs in the shop than Lexuses which to me speaks to the quality of the car. Ever since my first Toyota I've been hooked on them after dealing with American cars for so many years. I'm trying to be fair to BMW but it's tough when you see firsthand the quality issues, the cheap interiors that are straight out of the 80s, the crappy iDrive system, etc. I always have to ask, besides the badge on the back and the status that comes with driving one, what's so great about them?
See, you're talking reliability again. They might be one in the same in your dictionary, but not in mine. If quality = reliability for you then you made a smart choice with the Lexus.

For the record, most of the materials in my e90 were not any worse than my IS. The design was a bit on the spartan side, but the quality of the materials and the way it was put together was not lacking in the least. Do a search on this forum for squeaks and gaps in the IS. To me, taking the time and energy to design a car that fits together like it was cast from a single piece of material is what constitutes quality.

For others it may be that they can overlook the small details if their car stays out of the shop. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-04-07, 04:20 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Former E36 owner here. I obviously chose the IS350 over the 330i when I was window shopping. IF the 335i was out at that time and IF Bmw had a comparable Nav/Audio/backup cam system and IF I could *buy* this mythical bimmer for an acceptable premium (say 5-8%) I prolly would've bought it. But at the end of the day, when you weigh all the pros & cons, the IS was the clear choice. . .
Well at least we can agree on that.

IF you had bought the 335, you probably would be driving a loaner waiting for a new fuel pump to come in.
Old 10-04-07, 06:13 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
See, you're talking reliability again. They might be one in the same in your dictionary, but not in mine. If quality = reliability for you then you made a smart choice with the Lexus.

For the record, most of the materials in my e90 were not any worse than my IS. The design was a bit on the spartan side, but the quality of the materials and the way it was put together was not lacking in the least. Do a search on this forum for squeaks and gaps in the IS. To me, taking the time and energy to design a car that fits together like it was cast from a single piece of material is what constitutes quality.

For others it may be that they can overlook the small details if their car stays out of the shop. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
I do get what you're saying and you're right about that. The IS is a cheap car. It's made to sell in the low-30s and it shows in some places such as some squeaks, rattles, and gaps, though I think the places the car gets exposed for being cheap are in the best possible places. I'd rather a squeak here or there versus a fuel pump going or some electrical problem. I think someone else said it best when they said that the worst you see on these boards for problems is the vibrating rear view mirror, dusty breaks, and some rattles compared to the common problems with the BMWs. Now the part where I mix reliability and quality up is when the BMW has to go in the shop I just assume it's because its components are lower in quality than those used on a Lexus. Either that or they have some real monkeys engineering stuff over there. If someone else can provide a suitable reason for why BMWs require so much service I'd love to hear it. I just don't know why people would buy a car that has serious known problems. By the way, I can't claim much allegiance to the IS (despite my obvious Toyota/Lexus bias) just yet as I've never owned one, though hopefully that'll change real soon. Being on this forum makes me feel like I've owned one forever with all the knowledge and insight I've picked up from others along the way.
Old 10-04-07, 06:23 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanon
Now the part where I mix reliability and quality up is when the BMW has to go in the shop I just assume it's because its components are lower in quality than those used on a Lexus. Either that or they have some real monkeys engineering stuff over there.
I think it is the latter, or rather the lack of strict QC controls. As I said before, the Japanese are masters of reproduction and the Germans are kings of engineering. The Lexus is a very very well built car exactly like every one of its siblings. The BMW is a very very well engineered car, built mostly the same as its siblings, though there are some kinks in the assembly line which result in unreliable cars and some lemons. However, there are certainly stories of BMWs that are entirely trouble-free.

Regardless, the BMWs are fun cars if you are willing to roll the dice and hope you get a good one. However, if you want a car that is almost as fun and has a much better chance of being reliable, the Lexus is the winner every time.
Old 10-04-07, 09:02 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I think it is the latter, or rather the lack of strict QC controls. As I said before, the Japanese are masters of reproduction and the Germans are kings of engineering. The Lexus is a very very well built car exactly like every one of its siblings. The BMW is a very very well engineered car, built mostly the same as its siblings, though there are some kinks in the assembly line which result in unreliable cars and some lemons. However, there are certainly stories of BMWs that are entirely trouble-free.

Regardless, the BMWs are fun cars if you are willing to roll the dice and hope you get a good one. However, if you want a car that is almost as fun and has a much better chance of being reliable, the Lexus is the winner every time.
I was disappointed with the E90 line. Our initial plan was for me to be in a 335i convertible and my husband for the new M3. After checking out the E90 line, well, I/we expected more. What we found and as proven in the BMW forums was more of the same. More "ultimate driver's machine" with the same "ultimate driver's headache" due to problems.
As a former Mrs. Bimmer driver and owner, I agree that BMW has a solid design, ut hum, engineering. However, that must be on paper. When it comes time to put the darn car together and actually produce their "engineering masterpiece", they seem to always screw it up one way or another. The lack of "quality" in production is where the German auto makers take a major hit, BMW included. They really should take from Deming's TQM as the Japanese did and produce reliable (quality) cars.

Had BMW produced their "superior engineered" cars with the quality and sound engineering found in Lexus, our driveway and garage would be a BMW family as opposed to a Lexus family. Each to their own.
Old 10-04-07, 09:09 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dojoman
hoochie mama...I thought the girl from My Cousin Vinny was a myth. She will never exist in real life until now. You must hang out with car craze males.
LOL More like car crazed male (singular). My husband is a car enthusiast (sports cars and trucks). After 17+ years of marriage, it rubbed off. It was a learned interest for me, rather than something that I was drawn to. After joining my husband on a track day where I drove for the first time, I was hooked. BTW, I found that I was a natural driver as I often perform better than many of the guys. For example, in my last toy, the S2000, let's just say that I redefined more than a few "car craze males" egos. It is almost funny to see the look on the 20' something's face when a (not telling my age) mother of two teens, out did them at the track.

Last edited by DropTopGal; 10-04-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 10:29 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I was disappointed with the E90 line. Our initial plan was for me to be in a 335i convertible and my husband for the new M3. After checking out the E90 line, well, I/we expected more. What we found and as proven in the BMW forums was more of the same. More "ultimate driver's machine" with the same "ultimate driver's headache" due to problems.
As a former Mrs. Bimmer driver and owner, I agree that BMW has a solid design, ut hum, engineering. However, that must be on paper. When it comes time to put the darn car together and actually produce their "engineering masterpiece", they seem to always screw it up one way or another. The lack of "quality" in production is where the German auto makers take a major hit, BMW included. They really should take from Deming's TQM as the Japanese did and produce reliable (quality) cars.

Had BMW produced their "superior engineered" cars with the quality and sound engineering found in Lexus, our driveway and garage would be a BMW family as opposed to a Lexus family. Each to their own.
If BMW (or Audi) stole a few of the 'quality engineers' away from Lexus, I bet they would have a serious car on their hands. Too bad, I really liked my e90 when it wasn't in the shop.
Old 10-04-07, 10:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If BMW (or Audi) stole a few of the 'quality engineers' away from Lexus, I bet they would have a serious car on their hands. Too bad, I really liked my e90 when it wasn't in the shop.
Well in all fairness the same can be said of Lexus (if they stole some BMW 'handling' engineers)
Old 10-04-07, 10:34 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Well in all fairness the same can be said of Lexus (if they stole some BMW 'handling' engineers)
Truth.

Nice thread btw.
Old 10-04-07, 11:11 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

It's getting late here... my mind is wondering... Go with me on this notion... Perhaps a true merger, not an acquisition like Mercedes did with Chrysler, between BMW and Toyota/Lexus, Audi and Honda/Acura. Could you imagine the cars they would produce! But wait a minute. Germany and Japan united again? Ut oh...
Old 10-05-07, 10:17 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

......But wait a minute. Germany and Japan united again? Ut oh...
ROTFLMAO....

Old 10-05-07, 02:12 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

...Germany and Japan united again? Ut oh...
Hey, my name is Hans Honda and I resemble that remark !!!
Old 10-05-07, 05:43 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry llamaboiz, Im with you on your thread!!!
Old 12-18-09, 04:13 PM
Nickster
Driver School Candidate

I bought this car for its styling, not so much as a sports car. It's such a great looking car! It even gets decent gas mileage (my average being 24.5 since new). And, don't forget reliability, which so far has been flawless. By the way, I have a 95 Corvette Convertible for a sports car, but I actually prefer the IS for daily driving due to it being a smaller car. The Vett is for sunny weekends in the summer.
Old 12-18-09, 04:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cross-shopped the 335 sedan and the IS350 and selected the IS.

Steering feel was easy to improve with a more BMW-like choice of tires, 19" T1R's on my IS.

Quick Reply: I don't understand some 2IS buyers?