IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 11:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I don't understand some 2IS buyers?

There are so many threads here about ppl complaining about the suspension or VDIM or bunch of other things relating to handling/performance. Then comes the inevitable bmw this, bmw that...

My question to you is: Why in the world would you walk into a Lexus dealership if you wanted a 'sports' car in the first place?
Old 10-02-07, 11:22 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

becuase we like the styling and reliablity of a japanese car
Old 10-02-07, 11:27 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PNice972
then its all about trade-offs.... im sure you are aware that lexus is as great a handler.... its not like you didnt know..

i agree with you llamaboiz
Old 10-02-07, 11:27 PM
Menace
Driver School Candidate

nothing better else said.
Old 10-02-07, 11:29 PM
neova
Pole Position

because that's what the IS is suppose to challenge - BMW. It has done everything well, except for driver input / steering feel. I've driven many different cars and still the BMW is the best in that respect.

Of course, there are other factors when buying a car, and eventually I decided on the 2IS. That doesn't mean we can't complain/point out its short comings.
Old 10-02-07, 11:30 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Couldn't of said it better.

I was btw a used 2005 BMW 330i Performance Package (ZHP) and my IS250. I choose the IS250 because of looks and reliability.

Yes sometimes I wish I got a 6MT BMW 330i because it would be alot more fun to drive then my 2IS. But overall im happy.
Old 10-02-07, 11:31 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been asking the same question myself

Lexus=Luxurious Cars, not "sport" cars
Old 10-02-07, 11:31 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they had gone with a bmw, these same people would be on bmw forums complaining that lexus doesn't blow up or overheat like their bmw, and costs less too!

lots of people only see the greener grass on the other side.
Old 10-03-07, 12:03 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I concur with the OP. Enough BMW this and that. There is SO MUCH that comes with the IS that the 3 series BMW can keep it's VERY SLIGHT performance edge. BTW: IMO, my 08 IS350 sport handles just has good and feels just as "communicative to the road" as the 335i. I was surprised as to how well the IS handles. Perhaps the "recalibrated steering" for 08 and the sport package has something to do with it. I see that many who complain about the IS supposed inferior handling are non-sport package and IS250 owners.

Now, the M series is a different story when it comes to handling. The E46 M (I had one) was not vastly superior in handling to the 08 IS350 sport, but it was more performance oriented. Of course, that was when I could actually drive it when it was not in the shop.

To clarify something gentlemen and ladies...> the 3 series is NOT a "sports car", even in M form. Examples of "sport cars" on the market today would include the likes of Elise, S2000, 350Z, Boxter, Cayman.... The Corvette is sometimes classified as a GT rather than a sports car. Of course the exotics (Ferrari, Lambo and a few others) are considered "sports car".

Last edited by DropTopGal; 10-03-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 03:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

BMWs are great cars to own in their 4/50 free maintenance warranty period.
After that the maintenance costs are much worse than a Lexus and in the shop more.
Old 10-03-07, 03:17 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I concur with the OP. Enough BMW this and that. There is SO MUCH that comes with the IS that the 3 series BMW can keep it's VERY SLIGHT performance edge. BTW: IMO, my 08 IS350 sport handles just has good and feels just as "communicative to the road" as the 335i. I was surprised as to how well the IS handles. Perhaps the "recalibrated steering" for 08 and the sport package has something to do with it. I see that many who complain about the IS supposed inferior handling are non-sport package and IS250 owners.

Now, the M series is a different story when it comes to handling. The E46 M (I had one) was not vastly superior in handling to the 08 IS350 sport, but it was more performance oriented. Of course, that was when I could actually drive it when it was not in the shop.

To clarify something gentlemen and ladies...> the 3 series is NOT a "sports car", even in M form. Examples of "sport cars" on the market today would include the likes of Elise, S2000, 350Z, Boxter, Cayman.... The Corvette is sometimes classified as a GT rather than a sports car. Of course the exotics (Ferrari, Lambo and a few others) are considered "sports car".
What makes the M3 not a sports car when compared to 350Z or S2000? It can't be weight, because the Z is a fat ***. It's not handling or speed......
Old 10-03-07, 04:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neova
because that's what the IS is suppose to challenge - BMW. It has done everything well, except for driver input / steering feel. I've driven many different cars and still the BMW is the best in that respect.

Of course, there are other factors when buying a car, and eventually I decided on the 2IS. That doesn't mean we can't complain/point out its short comings.
From day 1, other than the 350 having more power than the 3 series (which advantage is now gone with the 335), the BMW was the hands-down winner when it came to handling. If you are shopping for a sports sedan, I would have thought that you would read up on these kind of reviews, and know ahead of time you were not getting the handling of a 3 series.
Old 10-03-07, 04:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
There are so many threads here about ppl complaining about the suspension or VDIM or bunch of other things relating to handling/performance. Then comes the inevitable bmw this, bmw that...

My question to you is: Why in the world would you walk into a Lexus dealership if you wanted a 'sports' car in the first place?
We actually agree on something I understand this is a Lexus site but some of the bimmer bashing here makes me laugh.
Old 10-03-07, 04:48 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz

Is it really that crazy to want a car that is as fun to drive as a BMW with the reliability and luxury of a Lexus? Are you saying that there is nothing about your car that you think can be improved upon?

Go hang out on BMW forums....they all complain about reliability and wanting Porsche like handling; trying to find out ways to make their cars better. They all want a piece of what Lexus(reliability/quality/luxury) and Porsche(handling/quality/fun-factor) have just like some of us want a piece of what they have.

I've been in tons of M/AMG/Porsche type cars and have yet to find one that gives me everything I want in a car. It is human nature to strive to improve, why should car buying be any different?

I did the BMW thing, it bit me on the ***, so now I'm doing the Lexus thing for the exact reasons that drove me away from BMW. Does that mean that I should accept that the Lexus package cannot be improved because improving it would degrade that which makes it a Lexus? I certainly hope not.
Old 10-03-07, 05:22 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

"You never actually own a BMW, you just occasionally borrow it from the service department."

Quick Reply: I don't understand some 2IS buyers?