IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me with my TPMS search (2nd set of tpms to register)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 04:25 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help me with my TPMS search (2nd set of tpms to register)

OK a search for tpms brings up a lot and the only 2 real solid answers I can find about re-registering a set of sensors is here:
javy has the tech way
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

and this answer by bichon that stats i need to take this to the dealer.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=5

Here is the situation. A friend and I swapped out wheels. He needs to register my tpms on his car, and I need to register his. I see in the setup that there is a spot for a 2nd set of sensors to be registered. This makes sense for people with snow tires. However, for the life of me i cannot find the exact instructions for registering a 2nd set. My warning light has already come on. How do i register his set on my car and vice versa. I know i have owned the car almost a year and been on this forum a lot. I should be a master at the search function but i am not finding a definite answer.

Thanks
Old 10-04-07, 04:27 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to actually have the code printed on each of the sensors. I'd imagine this is probably somewhere in the documentation received when you bought the car.

Once you have this code, you need the Lexus dealer scan tool to register the TPMS to the car.

PITA, eh?
Old 10-04-07, 04:29 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Actually, I know for a fact that you can find the codes registered to the car using the dealer scan tool, as well. So, it's not like you guys have to take the tires off the wheels, you could just show up to the dealer, write down each others' codes, and register them to the opposite vehicle.
Old 10-04-07, 06:18 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Irish is right...you can either do the second set if you happen to switch back. if not then override the primary set.

it might cost you at least $100 per car though.
Old 10-04-07, 06:53 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I do have an option for you since you live in the same city. You've got PM

-Joe
Old 10-04-07, 07:04 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Ok great got the PM and also your advice, but what if his tires were my 2nd set of lets say winter tires? The dealer would still have to program them in? Why would I be charged if I wanted to register a 2nd pair of tpms? Especially 100 bucks. I can get all 4 of them removed and exchanged for 40 at discount tire.

Thanks for your input and reply guys. tough thing to search for on this thread.
Old 10-04-07, 07:09 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you had winter tires, you would still need them to be programmed.
Old 10-04-07, 07:09 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

So let me get this straight. You have to register the TPMS at the dealership?
Old 10-04-07, 07:10 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
So let me get this straight. You have to register the TPMS at the dealership?
That is correct.
Old 10-04-07, 07:12 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carchitect
I do have an option for you since you live in the same city. You've got PM

-Joe
Can you please PM me the information as well? Thanks!
Old 10-04-07, 08:54 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I was trying to leave my brain at work today since I had a fairly strenuous day but I suppose that wasn't possible.

I've had a handful of customers who sometimes come into the shop with the TPWS light on or flashing. Most of the time I've found the 2nd select switch to be on. Usually by accident. The RX, ES and GS models the switch is located under the passengerside of the dash right above the front passenger's feet. One kick and the select switch selects 2nd tire.

From the factory only the main is programmed to the car The 2nd is set as all zeros and there aren't any sensors with that data. I've tried to instruct the clients about the 2nd switch but they never paid much attention. Finally, I came up with a fix for it.

Although, the system can store 2 sets of sensors for owners who would like to have another set of wheels, the odds of that are very slim for the cars down south. We don't get much snow or ice and when we do people here can't figure out how to drive even in good weather. So I was able to read all the sensor data from the scan tool,write it down and register them to the 2nd set. This ways the car won't prompt the light to come on if someone in the passengers seat were to kick the switch into 2nd set.

Needless to say, This also makes it very easy to have a set of wheels that could be used or two different vehicles as long as the TPWS can recognise the sensors.

Unfortunately, all of our cars use the toyota/lexus scan tool to program the sensors. Engineering feels that the tires being a liability concern should be best serviced in the hands of a professional and the sensor's registration is also no different.

I realise that the system alert appears after a few minutes. Infact the 06 & 07 IS models can take upto 20 minutes to update the driver. This has also been updated in the 08 IS to reduce its time to 10 min max. And yeah an experienced driver maybe able to tell the deflation on the tire based on the vehicle's handling but most of the people on the road have an extremely poor sense of balance and don't posses a vehicle like the IS that give you the feedback necessary for you to detect that. Most of them ride around on sloppy econoboxes.

You guys have noticed the initalize feature in the TPWS. This basically will setup your light to turn on and alert you once the pressure reaches below 80% of the initalized value. Let me elabotate on it a little more. The door jamb on the IS (with 18") mentions the pressure recommendation for the ft @ 35 psi and rear @ 37 psi. If you set your tire pressure at this and initalize the system the TPWS will turn on the light to alert the drive of a fault if the front were to fall below 28 psi (80% of 35 psi) or the rear were to fall below 29.6 psi (80% of 37 psi). Needless to say that tire is overloaded and wear is accelerating with the heat being generated from it not to mention stability,chances of blow out, increased rolling resistance or gas mileage. If you were to inflate your tires at 50 psi and initalize them the light will alert the driver at 40 psi (80% of 50 psi) so if you want your system to alert you once you've had your tire pressure drop about 5 psi then do your math.

I personally infate the tires using an Accutire gauge at the OEM spec and once initalized, I inflate then by about 3 psi. This way the tire should hold its pressure even during cold starts. Now in the winter months I've inflated them to 6 spi higher at times since north TX is known for its 40 deg F mornings and 80 deg F afternoons in winter.

The single most important thing for your car as far as your personal maintanance goes is the tire pressure which is often mostly overlooked. Any diehard racer (track or strip) would agree with me on the importance of tire pressure and consistent performance. Out of all the vehicles that come in for work, over 95% of them are underinflated. The 5% of the ones that are inflated properly really shows. The client keep their vehicle maticulously maintained (both mechanically and physically) and even keeps a log book of all the work performed on the vehicle (maintanance,repair,gas,warranty,even car wash)

Tire pressure for tires is like excercise for a diabetic. Its not optional it is its life.
Old 10-05-07, 01:14 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Ok great got the PM and also your advice, but what if his tires were my 2nd set of lets say winter tires? The dealer would still have to program them in? Why would I be charged if I wanted to register a 2nd pair of tpms? Especially 100 bucks. I can get all 4 of them removed and exchanged for 40 at discount tire.

Thanks for your input and reply guys. tough thing to search for on this thread.
They usually charge you for the labor time and use of the scan tool. $100 is ballpark...some dealers charge more or less.

If you are in good with the tech or service writer...you may be able to get it done for free if you're already in for service or warranty.
Old 10-05-07, 01:25 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

cool. Sewell dallas has always been way way cool with stuff like that. I love that dealership. I think carhitec might have us covered as well.

thanks all.