IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can someone please explain all these IS wheel options to me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 06:32 PM
avex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone please explain all these IS wheel options to me?

I'm finding the wheels on the IS350 options list very confusing (See list below). For example, what's the difference between the W5 and SC options? Aren't they both the G-Spider wheels? Why the different prices?

Also, what exactly are the FT wheels? Please help.

FT Wheels, 5-Spoke Alloy 830.00
(Std w/X Pkg-XE & XF) Includes P225/40YR18 Front & P255/40YR18
Rear Summer Tires.
W5 Wheels, G-Spider (PIO) 1,375.00
SC Wheels, G-Spider Alloy (PIO) 2,450.00
W1 Wheels, ISP Mode (PIO) 1,375.00
1S Wheels, ISP Mode Alloy (PIO) 2,450.00
Old 10-04-07, 07:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

FT looks like the 5-spoke wheels you only get on the x package...which aren't available any other way as far as I know (or I'd have ordered them)

The others I'm guessing but I'd guess the higher priced version of the same wheel is chromed...someone with better code knowledge than I can correct me when I'm invariably wrong about that :P
Old 10-04-07, 08:04 PM
avex
Rookie

Thanks for the info. If the FT wheels are only on the X package, then that helps explain a lot.

I like the G-spider wheels too, but I can't tell what the two prices are. If you're right and the high priced is chromed, then that explains it. I was also wondering if the higher price maybe included summer tires?

This options list really makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FT looks like the 5-spoke wheels you only get on the x package...which aren't available any other way as far as I know (or I'd have ordered them)

The others I'm guessing but I'd guess the higher priced version of the same wheel is chromed...someone with better code knowledge than I can correct me when I'm invariably wrong about that :P
Old 10-04-07, 08:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-04-07, 08:23 PM
avex
Rookie

Philip,

Thanks for the nice photo, but now I'm really confused!

What is the "18 inch alloy" at the top-left??? Is that the FT wheel, or is that something else??? I noticed it says "AVAILABLE" under it rather than "ACCESSORY." Does that mean it's a no-charge option? I actually like that one better than the Type-X alloy.

Do you have any idea why the options list has two different prices for the G-spider wheel?
Old 10-04-07, 09:20 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Top left is the one that comes standard when you upgrade to 18s
Old 10-04-07, 09:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by avex
Philip,

Thanks for the nice photo, but now I'm really confused!

What is the "18 inch alloy" at the top-left??? Is that the FT wheel, or is that something else??? I noticed it says "AVAILABLE" under it rather than "ACCESSORY." Does that mean it's a no-charge option? I actually like that one better than the Type-X alloy.

Do you have any idea why the options list has two different prices for the G-spider wheel?
O.K. I should have explained to prevent confusion...

FT wheels = X-Package wheels. (Std w/X Pkg-XE & XF)
W5 Wheels, G-Spider = bottom left, polished
SC Wheels, G-Spider Alloy = bottom left, polished, with tires.
W1 Wheels, ISP Mode = bottom middle, polished.
1S Wheels, ISP Mode Alloy = bottom middle, polished, with tires.

Top left = "regular" 18" upgrade.
Top middle = "standard" 17" in the U.S.
Top right = "standard" 16" in Asia.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-05-07 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 11:12 PM
avex
Rookie

Thanks Philip! Now I think I get it at last!

I have only one question left.

I'm about to special-order a 2008 IS350 with NO OPTIONS other than ML sound and 18" wheels (I want the regular 18" upgrade wheels at the top-left in your photo).

How do I order those regular 18's? Since they're not the FT's, it seems they don't appear on the option list at all.

Do all IS350's come with 18's automatically?
Old 10-04-07, 11:58 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Philip! Now I think I get it at last!

I have only one question left.

I'm about to special-order a 2008 IS350 with NO OPTIONS other than ML sound and 18" wheels (I want the regular 18" upgrade wheels at the top-left in your photo).

How do I order those regular 18's? Since they're not the FT's, it seems they don't appear on the option list at all.

Do all IS350's come with 18's automatically?
No, all IS350's come w/17's from the factory. The 18's you're talking about (upper left most corner) is a seperate option listed as "18 x 8.0-in alloy wheels with 225/40YR18 tires front, 18 x 8.5-in alloy wheels with 255/40YR18 tires rear - $830" on Lexus's website. BTW, not sure if you know or not but for 08' those wheels has a nice black satin finish to them.
Old 10-05-07, 12:00 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Sorry, but Phil's explanations are not correct.
FT = stock 18" rim/tire upgrade (not X pkg rims)
W5 = 4 G Spider 18" rims only
SC = 4 G Spider 18" rims & tires
W1 = 4 ISP mode 18" rims only
1S = 4 ISP mode 18" rims & tires

When in doubt, check the Lexus website: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html
Old 10-05-07, 01:01 AM
avex
Rookie

Thanks for clearing that up Social. It makes sense the way you're describing it.

I just realized that all the 18's seem to come only with summer tires. That's not a good thing up here in New England. I'm starting to think I should just stick with the stock 17's on all-weather tires, then just buy a set of aftermarket wheels + summer tires for the 8 months of the year we don't have snow.
Old 10-05-07, 04:56 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Thanks for clearing that up Social. It makes sense the way you're describing it.

I just realized that all the 18's seem to come only with summer tires. That's not a good thing up here in New England. I'm starting to think I should just stick with the stock 17's on all-weather tires, then just buy a set of aftermarket wheels + summer tires for the 8 months of the year we don't have snow.
In the Northeast, I've been told that they only have the one configuration for the 350 and that is the luxury package, 18 inch wheels with summer tires, navigation, and park assist. Are you being offerred a 350 that is different that that setup? The summer tires are pointless I agree living one state over from you, and there is snow or the possibility of it 6 months a year (Nov-Apr), so I would never drive the car with summer tires beyond October.
Old 10-05-07, 06:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

He mentioned earlier in the thread he's special ordering, so what they ship to his region won't matter.

I do wish they'd let ya add the x pkg wheels though, or at least offer em on the sport pkg.
Old 10-05-07, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by socalJD
Sorry, but Phil's explanations are not correct.
FT = stock 18" rim/tire upgrade (not X pkg rims)
W5 = 4 G Spider 18" rims only
SC = 4 G Spider 18" rims & tires
W1 = 4 ISP mode 18" rims only
1S = 4 ISP mode 18" rims & tires

When in doubt, check the Lexus website: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html
Whoops!

My bad!! Thanks for the clarification!!

I corrected the first post...
Old 10-05-07, 10:40 AM
avex
Rookie

Here's another thought. Does anyone know if the cars shipped to New England with 18's actually come through with all-weather tires?

I seem to recall a Boston area dealer telling me "All our IS cars have all weather tires on them." I didnt' think much of it at the time, but I now wonder if that included cars with 18's? It really doesn't make much sense to buy a car with summer tires here (unless you only drive the car in good weather, or keep a dedicated set of winter tires in the garage).

Quick Reply: Can someone please explain all these IS wheel options to me?