IS250 power: being left behind? *discussion*

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 01:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
this is news to me.........

the RSX ad TSX motor is similar but they are not the same, the TSX is a 2.4 liter straight 4 while the RSX ant he type s was 2.0 or 2.2 liter NA straight 4. the RSX was never a turbo verison of the TSX motor.

maybe you re thinking about the new RDX which is turbo but i'm not sure it is based off the TSX motor. i assume it is since it is a 2.4 liter and its the only 4 in acuras' lineup, so it makes sense to make a variation of it to later drop into the TSX and making it a typeS which has been rumored.

i agree however that the IS250 needs a bit more HP, i want headers for this thing bad because i know it will open up alot of power. currently our design is not efficient at all. the TSX motor however does have headers on it, and there would be a minimal gain at all by going after market on that car. my aunt has a TSX and i work on it regularly. for a long time my family has owned acuras, but recently the switch was to lexus because of whats to offer, the AWD.

You're right--I meant RDX
Old 10-05-07, 02:18 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the decisive factors of me choosing the IS250 over the Acura TSX and Audi A3/4 2.0 was the fact that it was 4 cylinder VS the IS250 V6.

Even as a daily driver, I personally want a V6 if the HP was about the same between the different makes.
Old 10-05-07, 07:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way more powerful than a TSX... I cant believe I almost bought one of those! The IS is worlds better than anything I have seen from Honda yet.
Old 10-05-07, 07:47 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Generally speaking, Toyota products have always been a step behind in terms of horsepower and torque when compared to the competition. Something comes to mind that should be mentioned. Have you noticed that many cars with greater hp/tq numbers and similar weight don't perform as good as those with lesser numbers? Gearing has something to do with that.
I'm not up on the IS250s performace numbers, but I would imagine that it is a bummer when a Civic SI pulls aside and the driver goats the IS250 on. Granted, the IS250 is "Lexy sexy", but still.
Old 10-05-07, 08:11 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think lexus will increase the HP by 2009
but in the other hand, maybe not because the IS250 is selling very well, most of the people that buy the IS250 don't buy the car because of the HP
Old 10-05-07, 08:35 PM
jzalkin
Rookie

I am averaging just under 30mpg (mainly highway) over 25,000 miles (14 months ownership). V6 power and great gas mileage. More power without lowering mpg would be welcome, but not at expense of economy.

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
I think lexus will increase the HP by 2009
but in the other hand, maybe not because the IS250 is selling very well, most of the people that buy the IS250 don't buy the car because of the HP
Old 10-05-07, 08:46 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

haha well by 2011 alot of cars will be switching over to hybrid engines
Old 10-05-07, 09:25 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

IMO I think the IS250 power wise is good enough for me as a sport sedan, I love the outlook of my IS250! I think the engine is good only the gear box needed to be improved. Such as the M Mode should really change the gear as we shift up and down instead of limit the highest gear only!!!!! Think about it this way the M-Benz C is new, the BMW 3 has so many different models to choose from where as Lexus only offer IS2/350! Audi never on my list! I think the Interior of IS and the outlook is top of the class design! Do you agree?
Old 10-05-07, 10:08 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

i ordered my is250 because

a) IS > TSX, 325i, C-class
b) its beautiful
c) it has a cozier interior (i love the raised center console)
d) i wanted RWD and a 6 speed

so its underpowered, it doesn't really matter to me... if i feel like im being left behind power-wise, il install an intake, exhaust and then chip it. overall the is250 package is miles ahead of the TSX, which is essentially just a (euro) accord, marketed in north america as an entry level luxury car (which, honestly, it isn't).

The only alternative i would have considered to the IS250 would be the new C-class... however, if i were to buy that then i would have been stuck with a mercedes 0_o... and probably suffered the roughly 6/10 chance of ending up with a complete lemon. This goes the same for the BMW 325i.

several of my friends drive cars in the 200 HP range as well... RSX type S's, a CSX type s and a civic si. And i doubt there is any chance of beating them in a straight line, given the IS weighs as much as a baby elephant, and i doubt id outperform them in the corners as well. but to be honest, how often do you really go fast on a public road these days? i would rather cruise in comfort and style then in a taught, finely tuned razorblade of a road car, which you would only use to it's full potential maybe 5% of the time.
Old 10-05-07, 10:21 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

It's all about driver skill. If you are a smart, skillful driver, you can outrun most cars with an IS.
Old 10-06-07, 12:21 AM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISbb
...only the gear box needed to be improved. Such as the M Mode should really change the gear as we shift up and down instead of limit the highest gear only...
which is why i said the tsx auto is one of the better mass produced ones out there... it lets u redline (useful for that darn vtech) and downshift and upshift when ever u want, stays in gear... doesn't go over to 4th regardless of speed when u first go to M.

Originally Posted by Fearlessfx
...TSX, which is essentially just a (euro) accord...
the interior is exactly the same as the older accord coupe, save the nav screen startup says honda instead of acura, even the globe background is the same. door does sound a bit more less "vault" like than the is
Old 10-06-07, 12:29 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearlessfx
if i feel like im being left behind power-wise, il install an intake, exhaust and then chip it...
Sorry that will only make you 'sound' faster and not really 'go' faster

I've been reading this thread and well... i really dont wanna comment cuz i just got my first speeding ticket/any kind of ticket today since 94 (93?). I played cool with the cop so he gave me 14 over rather than 24 over, while you can get a speeding ticket in a caravan this was in a quick acceleration zone and he was right there... If i had a 250 i dont think i woulda payed 127 bucks to the state today
Old 10-06-07, 12:42 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

if i feel like im being left behind power-wise, il install an intake, exhaust and then chip it.
No offense but an intake and exhaust would give about 3-6 hp overall and no chips are available for the 2IS. So that's a no go.

However, I do agree with most of you guys that the IS250 has more than enough power for daily drive and offers a lot for the money. Reliability is on point too without a doubt. However, Lexus did release the IS350 and was class leading in it's class with hp for a year or so before the 335i came out. So Lexus should also consider giving the IS250 the same hp as the competitors.

I don't mind being outrun by RSX's and TC's because I don't really race and 95%-98% of IS250 owners doesn't use the car's full potential but I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't mind the extra hp. I'm pretty sure the next gen IS would probably have a standard 240+, hopefully.
Old 10-06-07, 12:52 AM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Sorry that will only make you 'sound' faster and not really 'go' faster

I've been reading this thread and well... i really dont wanna comment cuz i just got my first speeding ticket/any kind of ticket today since 94 (93?). I played cool with the cop so he gave me 14 over rather than 24 over, while you can get a speeding ticket in a caravan this was in a quick acceleration zone and he was right there... If i had a 250 i dont think i woulda payed 127 bucks to the state today
lucky since its a felon now to go 20+ over !

damn! no more runs on the H3!

FI = WORTHLESS NOW!
Old 10-06-07, 12:53 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

lucky since its a felon now to go 20+
Really? In all the states in the U.S.?

Quick Reply: IS250 power: being left behind? *discussion*