IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Not Detected!!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 08:52 PM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Not Detected!!! Help!!!!

Guys, need help with this. I tired to search the forums but could not find much.
So this is what happened, coming back from nice dinner, I unlocked the car sat in the car pressed the brake, the brake did not get pressed the normal way, the push start button light did not turn green, there were alarms going on and the displayed read “key not detected” well the key was in my pocket, I took the key out and there was a red blinking light on the key. Well it took a good 10 plus minutes and nothing was happening. So as a last attempt, I moved the key right next to the push button, it finally turned green, I started the car and headed home.

Back at home, I parked the car, turned it off, tried to turn it back on again and the same stuff…..what the hell. Does anyone knows what is happening and why.

I have not tried with the spare but will in the morning. Any ideas??

Thanks.
Old 10-06-07, 08:59 PM
evotolexus
Driver

battery is probably dead. Spare should work.
Old 10-06-07, 09:03 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah happened to me, battery is starting to die, just place the key right next to the push start button and it should be fine
Old 10-06-07, 09:05 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Easiest problem of the day. Your battery is dead. Of course you have followed previous threads on this subject and laid in a few of the replacement batteries which can be had for a couple of bucks on line, right? If not, trot down to the Lexus dealer and pay up to $20 for a battery.
Old 10-07-07, 01:22 AM
newis350
Pole Position

don't bother trying to get the battery at the usual stores (i.e. radio shack, best buy, office depot, circuit city, etc...) the battery is an odd size and I could only find it at the Lexus stealership. The battery was $8.00, and and it came with a one year warranty.

It is a bit unsettling to know that if the battery dies, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO START THE CAR!!!!! I think I'm going to start keeping a spare battery in my glove compartment.

Oh. The service advisor told me that some wifi or bluetooth devices can activate the transmitter on the FOB; translation, the battery in the FOB may get depleted very quickly!!!!!

Last edited by newis350; 10-07-07 at 01:23 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 10-07-07, 01:59 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by newis350
It is a bit unsettling to know that if the battery dies, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO START THE CAR!!!!! I think I'm going to start keeping a spare battery in my glove compartment.
That's not true. It will start if you hold the fob right next to the push button.
Old 10-07-07, 05:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NjDude
the brake did not get pressed the normal way
I'm having trouble understanding this part.

It is a bit unsettling to know that if the battery dies, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO START THE CAR!!!!!
Sounds like you need to read the manual, it's all in there.
Old 10-07-07, 07:07 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jackblack7
That's not true. It will start if you hold the fob right next to the push button.
He's right, my battery died like 6 months ago & I called my lexus service advisor (ex girl)...lol & she told just to hold it right in front of the push start & it will start, & it did!!! also they replaced my batteries for free, both remotes, that day 6months ago & 3 weeks ago my other remote battery started flashing red & i went & had it changed!!! So just call your service advisor & tell them ya battery is flashing red or dead & they should change it for you!!
Old 10-07-07, 07:20 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Thank you everyone, I will buy a new battery.
Old 10-07-07, 07:48 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

I think I'm going to start keeping a spare battery in my glove compartment.
wouldn't you be unable to lock the car then?
Old 10-07-07, 08:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

don't bother trying to get the battery at the usual stores (i.e. radio shack, best buy, office depot, circuit city, etc...) the battery is an odd size and I could only find it at the Lexus stealership. The battery was $8.00, and and it came with a one year warranty.
The battery is always available inexpensively on E-bay or online from battery specialty retailers like Batteries Plus. Batteries Plus also has retail stores in some cities.

For those who need a battery quickly (but not necessarily cheaply), you can also find them at the parts department of Lexus, Toyota (since the new Camry uses them) as well as your local Saab dealer (the 9.5 uses it too).

That is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. As explained in the owners manual, hold the key fob in front of the start button, and it will work even if the fob battery is stone dead or has been removed (a strong electromagnetic field induces a current in a coil in the fob to power it)

Originally Posted by KOOLFELLA
my other remote battery started flashing red & i went & had it changed!!! So just call your service advisor & tell them ya battery is flashing red or dead & they should change it for you!!
The red light on the key fob is not a low battery indicator. It flashes whenever the key fob is transmitting, which it does whenever you press one of the buttons, or by itself periodically when it is inside or a few feet from the car.

Last edited by Bichon; 10-07-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-07-07, 08:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by badpinoy
wouldn't you be unable to lock the car then?
There is a mechanical key in the top of the fob, and a mechanical lock under a removable cover on the drivers door. I'd highly recommend that you read this section of your owners manual, so you'll know how to handle the situation should it happen to you.
Old 10-07-07, 09:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-FRESH-PANASONI...QQcmdZViewItem

I bought these and changed the batteries in both remotes.
Will do that every 1.5 years or so and carry one in my wallet..

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-07-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 11:13 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
There is a mechanical key in the top of the fob, and a mechanical lock under a removable cover on the drivers door. I'd highly recommend that you read this section of your owners manual, so you'll know how to handle the situation should it happen to you.
i misread it my bad. i thought he wanted to keep a spare key in the glove compartment.
Old 10-07-07, 12:31 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

I was wondering... if the key fob dies when I am away from the car, and I try to unlock it, will my car unlock? I'm getting kinda scared thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Key Not Detected!!! Help!!!!