IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Picked up my special order last night :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 03:38 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen new cars sitting at dealerships with the white plastic on the hood, and some had them half peeled off but underneath was a nasty sticky layer of goo. did your IS come with that and if so how hard was it to remove the gunk that held it on?
Old 10-07-07, 04:04 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6417/img4392tl2.jpg
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3842/img4395cq4.jpg
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/3271/img4402yb3.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7568/img4405uq7.jpg

Resized, edit your post.

congrats on your new car, I want those rims
Old 10-07-07, 06:15 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

What Garmin do you have? I'm thinking about purchasing one at well. I heard the Nuvi's are good. Think thats what they are called. I want something small.
Old 10-07-07, 06:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

I didn't get Nav because it's $3000 more for an option that lowers resale value and does less than my $500 Garmin unit I already owned, plus costs 4x more to update the maps each year
In exchange the only things I'd gain would be the backup camera (which on this small a car doesn't seem that useful) and being able to watch movies while stopped, which I also can't imagine usng much. If excellent aftermarket nav systems weren't available cheaply I'd absolutely have opted for Nav, but they are.
I agree.
I have a Garmin Nuvi and that's all you need.Most people don't use a Nav unit much anyway.
Congrats on the IS.
Old 10-08-07, 06:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a Street Pilot 2610 currently, has a ton of geeky GPS features only about half of which I've even found yet :P

I already had a good bluetooth headset so that wasn't a consideration, but nowadays If I were buying a new one I'd probably pick up a Nuvi with hands-free BT and traffic data... like I said, does more than the OEM nav, for way less cost and much cheaper updates... My father in law has a Nuvi and he loves it.
Old 10-08-07, 08:41 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! The car looks great! Let the mods begin!!!
Old 10-08-07, 09:53 AM
llhelix
Rookie

I didn't get Nav because it's $3000 more for an option that lowers resale value and does less than my $500 Garmin unit I already owned, plus costs 4x more to update the maps each year
In exchange the only things I'd gain would be the backup camera (which on this small a car doesn't seem that useful) and being able to watch movies while stopped, which I also can't imagine usng much. If excellent aftermarket nav systems weren't available cheaply I'd absolutely have opted for Nav, but they are.
Totally agree with you on this one. That's why I didn't get Nav on mine either. Go Garmin! I also use the traffic adapter that the built-in Nav can't get. I drive around in LA a lot and it really helps for those stupid accidents and freeway construction backups.
Old 10-08-07, 10:07 AM
llhelix
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
What Garmin do you have? I'm thinking about purchasing one at well. I heard the Nuvi's are good. Think thats what they are called. I want something small.
Don't know if this question is directed at anyone in particular. But I've got the Nuvi 360. The Nuvi's are definitely pretty nice IMO. I got this model for the bluetooth, mp3 and traffic capabilities. Even though I have other mp3 players, I like using the GPS unit because it will pause the music automatically when a call comes in from my phone. The traffic kit is only useful if you travel around in a (what seems like) constantly congested city like LA.

If you plan to route the audio through the AUX jack and power the GPS with the power adapter at the same time, make sure to get the TSIB done on the AUX jack. Otherwise you'll hear a high pitched noise.
Old 10-08-07, 10:16 AM
05LSV
Lead Lap

I placed the order in early July, a week or so before the cutoff for the month... car came into port on 9/30 in florida, arrived at the dealer this past Wed. night but I didn't get to pick it up until Friday after work...

Interesting. I have a 2008 IS coming in from Florida as well, and it also arrived at the port on 9/30. My dealer (Dallas, TX) told me that they don't expect the car until the 11-15 of October. Should it be there faster than that based on the fact that you had your car in North Carolina only 3 days after it left the port in FL?

I don't want to be too picky, but I really don't want anyone "test driving" my car before I pick it up. I don't mind the dealer prep of removing the plastic and cleaning the car up, but driving should be done by me alone!!

Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-07, 01:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know much about the transition from port to dealership, but I do know some options get installed at the port (I think these are designated PIO and might include XM and certain wheel options) so that might cause some delay in shipping from port to dealer if you car is having one or more such options put on and they can only do X number of cars per day... and I suppose depending how the dealership is set up they might only receive/prep cars on certain days during a week...

You might get a nice surprise though, mine was originally supposed to be in between the 5th and 11th, and I got the call on the 3rd that it had arrived at the dealership.
Old 10-08-07, 01:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether or not you get factory Nav, or go for an aftermarket job, is a personal choice. To some the seamless built in nature of the excellent Lexus Nav is worth it, others look mainly for cost and functionality. To each their own. But I don't understand your statement that a factory Nav lowers the resale value That is not borne out by the facts. A Nav equipped car will command a higher resale value than a non-Nav equipped car, especially a high end car like a Lexus. And in a couple of years Nav will be standard on a car like a Lexus. I would suspect the next Gen IS will not give you the choice of Nav/no Nav. Enjoy your car.
Old 10-08-07, 02:01 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Congrats, I'm a bit dizzy.
Old 10-08-07, 02:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
. But I don't understand your statement that a factory Nav lowers the resale value That is not borne out by the facts. A Nav equipped car will command a higher resale value than a non-Nav equipped car, especially a high end car like a Lexus. And in a couple of years Nav will be standard on a car like a Lexus. I would suspect the next Gen IS will not give you the choice of Nav/no Nav. Enjoy your car.

I think he may mean that you initially spend $2600 for the NAV and at trade in the Nav option will only bring you $500.
If you do a KBB.com trade in value on a IS250AWD with and without Nav the difference is only $500.
So that $2600 plus tax and interest if financed will only bring the car's value up $500.So you would lose $2100+ with the Nav option.
Old 10-08-07, 02:03 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

congradumalations!
Old 10-08-07, 02:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurtz, Rashood went thru the trouble of resizing your images, gonna use it? just edit your original post and swap your links for his.

Quick Reply: Picked up my special order last night :)